Chapter 130: Moving on
265 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Can I help you?”, a drenched man asked behind William’s back.

Startled, he turned around to face the stranger, “Huh?... Uhm, yes? Do you know where the residents of this household are?”. Puzzled, the man drew past William so that he could open the door; allowing the girl to take a peek inside the cramped space. “Mother, do you know who this girl is?”, the man shouted into an old woman’s face, who peacefully spun some yarn.

“What?”, the woman asked back, not at all grateful for being so rudely interrupted in her work. “Do you know that person over there?”, he shouted again, this time pointing over at William who couldn’t find the situation more awkward.

The woman scrunched her eyes and after a good look, she shook her head, lamenting, “No, no, I haven’t seen her? Never?... Perhaps she knows those rich people?... The ones who got fetched by their family from who knows where...”.

The man soaked up his sweat with a nearby rag, then he asked William, “You know those people?”. William grew dry in the mouth as he spilled, “... Yes? If you’re referring to the Bartcoves, then I know of them………………... So they left?”.

An uncertain look was cast at the man’s mother, who added, “... Salhil spouted that they were taken back by a rich family and while they were at it, they took along a pair of twins who had lost all of their guardians. Quite a kind gesture if you ask me… If you’ve heard the gossip it was the Casternell’s twins... Or perhaps the name doesn’t ring you a bell?... They were frequently talked about over at Salhil’s and Bermount’s house. Oh, all those mothers, of course, couldn’t handle the tragedy that was the twins. They kept discussing who should help those poor lambs but it happened as I had foretold, hah! All their worrying was for nothing because low and behold, God sent his goodwill to help them out… Anyway, back to the rich folks... They were fetched about a week ago by a huge flying Brarock. Where they went? I haven’t the slightest idea...”.

William was gently shut out of their home. And there he stood. Suddenly lost and somehow sad?

 

 

****

 

 

“... So… Do you want to search for them?”, Thalgar forced himself to ask. Not keen on the idea of a prolonged wait. William stared into the flames where his dinner was getting cooked, saying, “There’s no need for that… I now know that they are in good hands and that is all that matters… Also, the fact that they took in the twins. It couldn’t bring me more joy”. “But you are not happy”, Thalgar stated blatantly.

“I was just-… Let down by their absence…”, it came from the hunched-over figure. With great courage, Thalgar fished out the burning meat and settled it in front of William, saying, “Eat some meat. It helps”.

William chomped down on the hot meal and found that it did actually help his mood. He was vulnerable and wanted to be taken care of some more, so he asked Thalgar, “Do you know of other things I can that will make me feel better?”. He was silent for a moment, then Thalgar stood up and said, “Running… And sometimes if your mood gets really bad… I suggest you punch some squirrels”. William almost choked, “Squirrels!? What the-… What could they possibly have done to you to deserve such a thing?”.

Thalgar shrugged his shoulders, “Want to give it a try?”.

The small critter William had just finished off was not enough to fill his stomach, so he cautiously agreed to the madman’s proposition. After all, what was the harm in it if he just one-shot the squirrels? Then it would be the same as hunting them down for food. And there definitely wasn’t anything wrong with that.

Without any further words the game commenced. It was brutal but also uncommonly fun. Perhaps due to its forbidden nature.

William managed to eliminate two squirrels without causing them too much pain. They were later eaten both by him and Lucifer, who savored the warm petite feast. As for Thalgar’s numbers… Well, they were best left unsaid…

 

 

****

 

 

William sat concentrated in front of their first worthy catch in months. Who would have thought that bonded pairs were actually those who ran around with the most energy? Due to their energies being enhanced by each other. However, unlike single creatures, they were also harder to track down and kill. Since they too had remarkable senses and the ability to consume others’ energies as well.

Thalgar stood patiently in the background, waiting for William to finish his absorption of the source, when he noticed that he was still having trouble creating enough space for the energy, “Try and feast on its guts...”, he said. William frowned, not finding his advice useful this time, “No…”, he managed to mutter without breaking his concentration.

10 seconds went by and then William exclaimed in disbelief, “Did you just take my energy!?”. A blameful look was cast in Thalgar’s direction who held the perfect poker-face, “... No?”. William went up from the ground and stated, “OH! Yes you did! I could sense it hurry off in your direction”.

Thalgar remained unblinking as he casually said, “That is true… But whether I took the energy or not does not matter. It would have dissipated anyway. You took too long… This time as well”. It was a valid point, but it didn’t quell William’s swelling gut, “I am trying my best but it’s fricking hard!... I don’t understand how people can claim that it’s easy”.

Thalgar speculated for a bit, then he said, “It is easy… For those who do not have the same energy as yours…”. William stood up and dusted himself off, “And what of it?”. Thalgar shuffled himself in front of William before he put their foreheads together. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”, William screamed at him.

Thalgar took his time sensing the difference there was, alas he had to let go sooner than anticipated since William kept trying his best to holler his ears off. Thalgar almost pushed the girl over when the test was done, just to have his meeker revenge, “Stop your screeching! It is a pain to listen to”. William glared at the man, not feeling apologetic at all.

Thalgar huffed with a finger in his ear, then he began sharing his guess-work, saying, “Although the fangs we hunt now are just for practice, you need to take it seriously. So next time… Use your ability while you consume the energy… It might put you in danger but you have to take that gamble. For right now your energy is too flat and calm to be of any use… You need to try and aggravate it if you want to succeed… That is all”.

“... Good!... Then I’ll try that”, William half-shouted, now no longer red in the face due to his justified anger, but rather due to his embarrassment for having screamed so loudly.

What could he say? Other than it was for his supposed self-defense?

10