Chapter 2: Burning pages of revenge
1.9k 7 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He got home and had an all nighter. He never thought he would be able to read such a thick book within the span of two days! He reached the last pages and the climax was… William’s hands were trembling and drops of fluid drenched the last page…

It was sweat that had dripped down from his forehead. For he was raging with frustration inside his body at the moment. What was this shit ending!? Give me back 48 hours of my life!

In his fury William enacted an act of violence towards the perpetrator. Namely the book. Those last pages were an eyesore and ruined the whole experience! So he tore them out and crumbled them thoroughly in his hands.

Then went all the way down to the trash cans outside and threw those distasteful pieces of paper out. They weren’t allowed to even stay inside the house. He spat at them before closing the lid and returning to his room.

Inside the trash can, the dull pages had fully absorbed the sweat and spit from William. Where the stains had been, an ominous dark aura began to leak out. Pulsing and calling out for something… A disaster. 

Inside the house a warm dinner was being served for the whole family. His oldest sister poked at her cute brother and asked “So, how is that group project going?.. Even though you have leave from school to write the assignment, I haven’t seen you leave the house. Not to mention even your room… Are you spending all your time on playing games again? Such a naughty brother I have, eheh”.

William widened his eyes at this inspection. He could feel his parents’ stare fixed on him.

His father sighed a bit disappointed and said “If you need help with homework I’ve told you thousands of times to ask me. Don’t tell me that you’re just fooling around again this time… You know life is too short for that! You’ll need a proper job to sustain y-”. William’s mother coughed and interjected, saying “Honey, you know how William is… He hates doing schoolwork. But at least he has some wonderful friends who’ll help him get through the group projects. Right dear?”.

William felt his head sink between his shoulders, like a turtle, trying to hide himself. Then his younger sister said “Can’t we switch subject already? This is so boring… Hey guys! Do you know who I met today?”. The suspense kept the other family members occupied and they forgot the former conversation topic.

Thus the interrogation ended. After having talked for a while, they had a wonderful meal and soon went to bed…

Outside the house something, or rather someone had been lured closer. This person could hear a seductive voice calling to him through the darkness of the night. It was appealing to his evil heart…

Before he heard its call, he had been unsure on which house he should set fire to tonight. There was nothing more beautiful than the small sparks, growing in the weakest wind into a formidable gorgeous flame. A flame that could swallow anything! Including lives…

Usually he would make his rounds in the other end of town, but this day fate had brought him here... His hand was being guided as he stepped closer to the house that was finally completely dark. The clammy fingers grabbed the trash lid and opened up to the metal bucket. He looked down and spotted a fine bunch of paper…

Just waiting to be fed to his pet…

Before he flicked the lighter and sparked the gasoline, he shifted the location of the trash can. He placed it up along the front door. Blocking the exit. He glanced behind him. Not a soul could be seen at this hour. So his greedy thumb flicked the wheel and his eyes finally had the opportunity to see his beloved creation.

The red flashed in his dark pupils. In his other hand he held the crumbled up pages from the torn book. The flame and paper was brought together to meet and they soon became fond of each other.

When his creation began to bite its maker, he quickly let go of the object and let it fall into the black bottom of the trash can. Then it began to eat and eat. Devouring everything and growing stronger and much larger.

The crook left the open trash can to brew his desires. He had walked down the block of the poor neighborhood. Just to have a last look at his masterpiece. When he saw the abnormal growth he couldn’t help but shiver…

The thing that had called him had its own spark and grew the weak flame into a sea of fire. It was already starting to lick and ensnare the house as it’s prey. It would soon spread and hit nearby ones as well. The man was bewildered and felt his heart pound. Then he ran and left behind the dirt...

“Aaaahhhh!”. A horrible screech woke William up. The first thing his dried eyes saw, was black thick smoke, creeping in beneath his door. What is going on!? His head was still dull and tired. He could only think to go over and open the door. A strong beeping was ringing inside the smoke. Sadly it was drowned out after a few minutes.

William opened the door and was instantly met by a wall of gas and soot. When the burning air met his skin it itched and swelled. His lungs was invaded by crisp poison and he coughed heavily. At last he understood and woke up. He shouted “MOM! DAD!”.

He made his way over to the window and unlocked it. He pushed at it but it wouldn’t open. Why was it stuck at a time like this!? He tried again with all his strength but the window wouldn’t botch!

He sweated and gave up on the window. The hot air brought with it yelling voices. They were distressed and panicking. William estimated that they came from the front door of the house. So he jumped down on all fours and crawled across the floor. He was heading for the house entrance.

Near the floor the smoke wasn’t as dense. It didn’t take long before he could see the hands and feet of his family members. He called out to them “Mom! Dad!”.

The voices that was bickering at each other, turned down and one of them responded “William it’s no use! The entrance hall is already engulfed by the flames! Head back!”. William coughed and turned around clumsily.

The first window he came by he stood up to and opened. If it would open that is...

He screamed in panic “What is going on!? The windows won’t open!”. William sank onto the floor again and was surprised to see that none of his family members had followed him?

He crawled backwards. A distinct voice from his father rang out and made his blood turn cold “Julia! Wake up! Come on! Wake up!”. William saw his father’s wild eyes. It was his mother that had passed out. He made his way over there with all haste, wanting to drag his mother away from the heat. His father screamed at him “NO! Stay over there! Your sisters have also passed out in the corner behind you! Go help them instead!”.

He complied and crawled his way over to the corner that he couldn’t see clearly. It was covered with steaming smoke.

The closer he got the strange smell he had sniffed earlier, became more prominent and clear. In the corner were two piles of unknown mass. They were sizzling and covered by flames. Sometimes a *pop* could be heard. Like when oil and water mix on the frying pan.

There was something eerie about those two piles… Two…

William clenched his fists and made a heart wreaking cry, as he covered his itchy eyes in his forearm. How could this be? How come the flame got to his sisters before he did!?

In tears he saw shadows from the flames converge into something else. Distant sounds from a battlefield mixed with the sounds of cracking wood and scolded water. William couldn’t resign himself to this fate and crawled meaninglessly towards the windows again. He didn’t get far before his vision blurred and his limbs turned stiff and started ignoring his demands…  

Inside the smoke, long objects flung around, changing its direction. Many feet covered in metal boots scrambled across the red floor and warcries together with weeping groans became William’s last moments in this world…

34