Chapter 22: Self reflection and hangovers
1.1k 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Harvest Feast ended. It had been a huge success! Everyone went home happy. Some returned drunk like pigs, while others feasted until their bellies bursted. William however didn’t feel like that festival was worth remembering fondly.

Morning dawned. The drunkard's from the night before, snored helplessly in their beds. The only early birds that morning, were the children and some of the women. Among them, Vanessa was especially frisky. She heated up the stone owen and began beating the dough.

While she hummed, Joss and William crawled their way into the living room. Both were wondering why their mother was so upbeat.

Joss decided to ask her “Is something good going to happen today?”. Vanessa formed the bread and said “Yes, Joss! Today we’ll finally be able to fetch our personal servant!..”. This sentence made both children understand. They had heard their parents talk about the topic for months… But because Harvick still wasn’t wholly accepted as a new lord, the extra manpower got postponed.

Vanessa pushed in the bread and explained “We met with the lord yesterday and he was very pleased with your father’s and Harvick’s performance. So, he finally accepted Harvick as his own and promised us, that we could fetch our new servant after the festival was over… Which is today!.. So, my dear children… After breakfast we’ll head up to the castle. Check if Harvick is doing okay and afterwards we’ll give a visit to the servant’s quarters”.

These news made William exceedingly happy! For he was afraid that his family would completely forget about Harvick and how he was fighting a lonesome battle.

Getting to officially visit Harvick like this, would lead to no mischiefs or crimes on William’s behalf: Like trying to sneak into the castle to check up on the poor sod. For even if Joss’ threat had grown on William, he couldn’t completely annihilate his own nature...

As they sat down at the table, Joss looked puzzled and asked “What about father? Isn’t he going with us as well?”. Vanessa took forth a small wooden basin and gestured for the kids to wash up. She went over to William, who still wasn’t skilled at moving his tiny fingers properly. Vanessa took the rag out of William’s grip and began scrubbing his face with it. 

While she drowned William in lukewarm water, she smiled wryly and replied “Unfortunately your father has been slugged out by all that ale he drank last night… We can only hope to see him fresh tomorrow… Or maybe… Argh! I’ll help him sober up for tomorrow… I only wish that he wouldn’t drink so much at times like these…”.

Vanessa finished cleaning up William and added “Go get a peek at your father, Joss. You’ll learn to drink less with him as an example. Hopefully”.

Hearing about this lesson, Joss got intrigued to take a look at his father. So he quickly sprang down from the stool and made his way to the master bedroom. The first thing that hit him was a strong sickeningly sweet stench.

Then, when he could finally pry his eyes open, he took in the view of a naked man. He was covered in his own vomit and seemed rather miserable… Joss gulped and made a beeline for the living room as he chanted “Too much ale is no good…”.

The kids were served freshmade pottage and bread. Such a meal was common and frankly William was getting kind of sick of it. But there was no room for luxury in this place. It didn’t even contain any salt… Yet he ate it all up and showed gratitude to his mother. After all, a lot of hard work was behind this simple meal. Both from his mother and himself.

William barely got to eat the last gulp, before Joss dragged him off his stool. He kidnapped him to ‘their’ room. For he was living with Joss now. Willam could only huff and struggle as Joss did his duty. The little girl complained “I can dwo thish stufff mywelf!”. Joss rolled his eyes, getting tired of this repeated argument every morning…

So he obeyed nonchalantly and said “Fine… Then, do you want me to fetch your clothes for you? Since you can't reach the shelf…”. William could only close his eyes and hold his hands out. He felt a vein bulge on his forehead as he screamed inside himself: Yes give me that fucking dress!

When the disturbing garment, landed in William’s hands he began his daily battle. The knots never wanted to open and getting the tent over his head was always a challenge. Joss could only shake his head and giggle for himself. Because his little sister was running around like a headless chicken, with her dress firmly stuck above her head…

When he had seen enough, he took hold of the dress’ edge and pulled at it with force. *Pop*. A little red face shooted out from the dress. William panted and said with reluctance “Twanks!”.

Joss then proceeded to help William put on his bonnet. As he fastened the bow at William’s chin, he couldn’t help but snaughle at how haughty his sister looked. He coughed to control his cracking voice, before he said “Don’t look at me like that! You know it’s to keep your head free from fairy-hair and your little noggin warm from the freezing cold. It’s totally smart”.

Then he fetched his own headwear, which was a dark-green arming cap. William glared at it but didn’t complain anymore. They both looked stupid, no matter what hat they wore… According to the fashion sense of a teen from the 21th century!..

Vanessa was done finishing some basic tasks. When she saw the children her mouth curled up into a warm smile as she praised “Such cute children I have… And Joss, you’re such a good brother, helping your sister get ready. But remember, don’t let your father see… After all, only servants and mothers help others get dressed... He won’t allow such a thing…”.

Joss was hit hard by that sentence. He wondered whether or not he should change this habit...

In the end, how could he act so self righteous towards William, when he himself was getting in over his head?…

Vanessa kept her smile on as she grabbed a basket to fill with some ripe apples and fresh bread. When the basket was full, she held William’s and Joss’ hands and gestured “Let’s give Harvick a nice visit, shall we?”.

20