Chapter 32: Sound the horns!
828 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
WARNING: There will be mentions of rape in this chapter. Please read on your own discretion.

They ruthlessly kept going and going. Down in the cellar each minute felt like an eternity.

William didn’t know what to do. Should they go out and try to rescue their mother? Did they even stand a chance against those who wished to harm them? And was this only a glimpse of the future one would face as a woman in these turmoil times?..

Just imagining those men being directed at himself made him want to die…

The brutal men were smashing earthenware and amusing themselves. Hearing how the party above them was getting rowdy, Joss took the chance and whispered into William’s ear “I think… I think father’s still alive”. William was puzzled and whispered back “What dwo y-you mean?”. Joss went with his sense of feeling and touched William on his cheeks and back. There was no trace of it…

Then it occurred to Joss, that he was probably the only one smeared in their father’s blood right now…  Joss hesitated before he whispered back “Just stay put…”.

Joss was right. Even though their father bled, he wasn’t dead yet. This fact, the invaders knew as well. Joss and William could hear something heavy shifting above them, along with a few grunts of pain from their father.

Then a stranger’s grisly voice sounded “Hehe. Why don’cha watch!? Look a’ that! You’re precious lil tramp is get’ing drilled quite lovely… Don’cha think!?”. The two children could hear their father vent with indignation “Shut up! Filthy bandit! You’d better scram from my house, before lord Blaise gets hold of you!!!”.

The bandit laughed and spat “What lord!? What castle!? Hehehe... They hav’nt noticed us yet! But yhor right! Boys we getta scamper now! Dohn’t ferget to gather the booty!”. Clinks and rustles were heard along with heavy footsteps. Those ruffians were gathering any valuables they could find. The moment their last sack bulged with goods, the bandits finished their business and left the house behind in ruins.

As the dinosaurs slithered out their front door, a high pitched whistle ravaged their ears. It was a call to make the rest of the bandits know, that the heist was done and they should flee now while the castle still laid dormant.

Faint figures could be seen running on the thick ice. They ran back the way they had come from. But not without company. As if to bid them goodbye a loud array of horns broke the misty silence. It was the castle that had finally reacted to the bandit raid, which had defiled and plundered from its villagers.

Women were crying in the yards as men were stumbling on both legs. A few had been killed but most were spared. This was not an act out of kindness from the bandits’ side, but sort of an investment. After all, what would the village be worth, if the bandits couldn’t raid it again next year?

As the commotion settled, William and Joss slammed their tiny fists against the boards, begging to be let out. They couldn’t stand to stay locked up in that cold grave a second longer! Their father reacted and moved his battered body aside.

Clumsily each board was removed. The soft light that entered the hole, revealed to the children their father’s face. He was covered in bruises and cuts. With great relief he said “Don’t worry! Those thugs have left and the castle horns have sounded. We’re safe now!”.

William looked around. Spotting the nearby mess and his defeated father and thought: Really!? Can the knights from the castle time-travel or something? Can’t you see that the damage has already been done!?..

The father slid his hand across Joss’ forehead and asked “You’re alright… Right?”. The words that spilled from his mouth were weak and fragile. Joss wrinkled his brows. He couldn’t hold back and began crying. When the first heavy breaths had been heaved, he shouted in his father’s face, “Yeah! But what about mother!? How dare they do such a thing to her!?”.

The father gave a quick glance to said victim and withheld his children, saying “Don’t look at her… It will only leave a deeper scar… However I can tell you this: She’s fine”. Then in a flash, he threw himself over to Vanessa’s side and covered her up.

Joss didn’t move from the spot. Uncertain if he should head over to the woman and go against his father’s advice. His younger sibling however, was not of the same mind. William lurked closer to the couple to sneak a peek. He had already seen his sisters’ burned corpses. So he thought aiding his second mother now would be easy. But he was wrong…

They hadn’t ‘simply’ defiled her inside but outside as well. This sight gave a shock to William as he had clearly undermined his mother’s trauma… The father noticed William get closer and scolded “I told you not to look!.. Joss! Take your sister into your room!.. I’ll take care of Vanessa”.

Vanessa was put to rest. It didn’t take long before the villagers began gathering their wits and look for those who were done in. During the search Jacqueline was also found. She had met the same fate as her sister.

 

 

****

 

 

After the incident, outrage was hollered in the streets. For the lord had been negligent. So he came forth to hold a speech about how they were holding a grand feast with important guest and thus all the guards in the castle were either gathered near the dining hall or off duty.

To soothe the villagers, the lord would cut down the taxes in half during the next harvest. Most were happy about this as they were listened to and could seek aid from the castle’s doctor if the wounds from the raid were critical.

However two houses had enough of lord Blaise and chose to move. It was a great risk to take, as they had to leave behind their homes and build new ones with their own measly savings. Including that, they also had to find a new lord who would be willing to protect them and let them work at his lands...

The next day after the raid. William’s father was questioned in their home.

It was one of the lord’s advisers along with his trusted men who came by. They came to inquire about the villagers’ losses and to get a clear understanding of their foe. With an accusing voice the adviser asked the father “So you observed these footprints on the lake, due to your ability. Which enhances your eyesight, correct?.. And so. What did you choose to do, again?”.

The father seemed a bit indecisive, as he answered “I deemed it impossible to warn the castle about my doubts… Knowing that the castle has guards posted to observe if attackers should come, I thought it wouldn’t be long before they sounded the alarm… So I did what any man would do... I tried to spare my family from the bandits’ ruthless claws... I barely got in to barricade my own house before they barged in and ravaged the place!”. Just remembering those filthy rats, made the father tremble with ire!

The adviser’s gaze was void of sympathy as he muttered “Hmm… You said they appeared as if they were made of snow when they came and left?… They must have hidden themselves with the snow… A group with the ability to conceal themselves… Bald with no clothes and dinosaurs that reminded you of sea creatures...”.

The adviser looked back at his notes and flipped through them before exclaiming with confidence “Hm! They must be the rumored: Ravaging Shades! A rising group of bandits with the ability to change the appearance of their skin! They must have heard about our frozen lake to plot such an attack… I must give credit where credit is due. To even think of the tiniest detail… Hmmm… We’ll have to keep an extra lookout on the lake from now on… During the winter periods it’ll no longer be safe...”.

Those who heard this gulped. Indeed with the Ravaging Shades around, the lake had become vulnerable to invasions

William and Joss were listening in on the interrogation with nervous hearts.

Both thinking: What if they blamed their father for not alerting the castle in time? Would they lose the patriarch that had protected their family all this time?

Their worries seemed to be swept away. Because the adviser no longer seemed annoyed with their father. Instead he gave him a commercial smile before gracefully leaving their home, saying “You’ll hear again from me soon… Expect good tidings”.

19