Chapter 37: The hero and…
762 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Not far from the funeral, stretched the main road to the island. On this rocky road, Buisines happily blowed out short tunes. They were announcing the successful conquering of Halbal castle.

Loud cheers and shouts were mixed in with the Buisines. They were welcoming the proud warriors, who could finally return home and celebrate this victory. Of course, before they came, they made sure to secure the castle and post guards and attendants, until Harvick could return again.

It was truly a spectacular scene. In front of the colourful procession, Harvick came riding on Liberto, with a straight back and lifted chin. Quite the heroic pose. He wore his helmet between his chest and arm. On top of his head was an elaborate flower-crown. Probably given to him by one of the village girls. He wasn’t the only one gifted with such a present from nature. Many knights had flower-crowns or simple arrangements hanging on their partizans and glaives.

The sweet scent of nectar allured, black-veined white butterflies and pale clouded yellow ones, to come and greet the conquerors. They flapped around the cold metal spears and blood-soaked tabards. Innocently circling around murderers…

The flames from the funeral did catch some of the knights attention. Harvick also glanced their way. William and he connected but the sight apparently made Harvick uncomfortable. For in the next second he looked away. Not giving them a second glance. Instead he was absorbed in the trumpets of victory.

Joss glared at the procession and snarled “Great… They have the power to conquer another castle but not enough to protect the village that they already have… And did you see Harvick? I’ll admit that he looks super cool and his achievements are great… But he didn’t even greet us… Hrmf! They’re all a bunch of bastards!”.

William didn’t refute the words Joss spat out. However, he did find it odd that Harvick reacted like that… William muttered “Mwaybe it’s because he doesn’t have time right now… Mwaybe he’ll come by later?”.

Their father who had been engrossed in the fading of his wife, could only add “Don’t get your hopes up Mirabelle… He is in a different world now... A proper lord. From now on you should show your respects and call him lord Halbal instead of Harvick”.

Jacqueline couldn’t keep the infants calm. It was the Buisines that made them uneasy. Not before long, sobs and tiny wails came from the basket. The father looked at her, then his children and said “Let’s go back…”. They left the smoke and cinders behind. Hoping that their dear mother had gone to heaven and found peace.

If that heaven truly existed...

 

 

****

 

 

It didn’t take long before William was tasked to be a part-time nanny. For Jacqueline had to turn her attention away from the babies and onto the void left by Vanessa. She did most of her work. Slowly taking over Vanessa’s role in the household.

While William changed the cloth-diaper of one of the kids, he tried to sooth it by saying “I know, I know… It’sh not funny to be a baby. Juss be a bit more patient”. The baby didn’t seem to care for his knowledge and began to sob. William could only comment “But then again… You don’t know what I’m saying. You’re weally cluelesh, huh?”.

When the torture of cleansing was done, William tied the baby to his back. It took up a lot of space and was quite heavy, but not impossible to carry. Joss came in through the front door and asked “Are you ready now? We won’t get any chestnuts if you keep stalling us!”.

This remark made William pop a vein as he complained “It’sh not me who ish stalling us! It’sh this useless baby!”. “Whatever” was the reply he got.

Jacqueline however didn’t like William’s tone and lectured “Don’t speak with such an uncouth mouth! Or I won’t let you go out and play ever again”. William lowered his head. Trying to perform a sorry figure as he slowly walked out the house. As if in shame. However inside he lamented: But it is useless!

They left for the mainland with some of the older kids and a bonded adult. He was there to protect them from wild dinosaurs. They were transported out to the chestnuts trees with a worn wagon. The trees were humongous and fruitful. Chestnuts covered the ground in a circular radius around the tree trunks.

In minutes, every child were preoccupied with gathering the nuts. Except William. He only grabbed a few, before his attention were led to a blinding creature on the lake. “Swans…”.

Joss looked up and nodded “Yeah, swans?.. So what?”. William lifted his brows, ignoring his brother’s increasing aggressive behavior and asked “She didn’t tell yuu?”. This question made Joss confused, then frustrated “Tell me what!?”.

William turned his attention to the pale birds and said with sadness in his voice “I just can’t helb but think about the times she told me about how elegwant and beautiful swans were… It was her favowite animal”. Joss paused his hamstering of nuts for a bit. Something was flashing in his eyes, but William couldn’t tell what it was. Then Joss said without much care “Nope. She never mentioned swans to me”. Joss began picking chestnuts again, but with each handful he moved further and further away from William.

William thought to himself: His probably jealous… But I can’t believe that Vanessa never mentioned it to Joss… Only me…

Somehow this thought made William happy. He muttered under his breath “So she did care…”.

 

 

****

 

 

It became the season to snow again, yet not a snowflake was seen. It remained a wet winter, with no signs of it. For some, like the children who played in the snow, the absence of it made them disappointed. For others it was a blessing.

William’s father swooped behind Jacqueline as he gleefully said “Thank god it hasn’t snowed this winter! I’d like those bandits to try and scale the thin ice on our lake. Or blend in with the boring dirt and puddles! Haha! This makes my job as knight captain much easier!”. Jacqueline smiled and teased “Let me guess. This happiness you feel made you inclined to touch my hips?”.

The father grinned and said “Hmmm, I’m afraid I’ll have to take over their job and harass the beautiful ladies in our village. Although I only have my sights on one in particular”. Jacqueline removed the stirring spoon from the pot and waved it around saying “Oh please! Who can it be? I thought you fancied me?”. The father flirted back “Why, your right! It is you, my dear Jacqueline”.

William and Joss sat at the table, getting their ears and eyes scourched out by these two vermin. William whispered to Joss as he cursed “What do they think their dwoing!? Actwing out a play?”.

Joss numbly stared into the table. It took some time before he answered “I guess she’ll be our new mother… It’s normal… After all, bonded live much longer than ordinary humans. So they often have more than one wife during their lifetime… Father is doing this to reestablish our household… A home can’t be without a mother...”. William found Joss creepy these days.

Either he was extremely angry or like this: Quiet and speaking with reasoning like an adult who knows everything...

Soon, there were talks about a wedding. Jacqueline was very pleased, for she longed for a new place to belong to, ever since she got cast away by lord Blaise. Demoted to a mere servant girl. While the father needed someone to help keep the household alive, without getting paid to do so.

It was a beneficial arrangement for both partners.

The only thing in question was whether or not those flirtatious, heartwarming words they exchanged were real. Or part of a charade?

19