Chapter 38: The witch
771 7 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
WARNING: There's some violence in this chapter.

Also! For those of my readers who are concerned, that this read will be purely torture, I can confirm that there will be a happy ending. (゜▽゜;)

During spring in the wedding season. The father and Jacqueline held a modest wedding in the newly build temple. Although the father was a knight, now of greater standing than before and Jacqueline a mere servant, the lord blessed them anyway.

Many saw this as the lord being generous and understanding of the so often sung about: Love. But in truth lord Blaise couldn’t be bothered to meddle in their affairs. For in fact the father wasn’t a close knight to the lord or someone of importance in the castle. Without his title and some merits, the father was lowly ranked in the hearts of the lord and lady. He was seen as nothing more than a peasant in their eyes. This wasn’t a secret. After all, they never invited him to their important banquets and feasts…

Jacqueline was wearing a deep yellow cotehardie. More elegantly cut than ordinary dresses, with elbow-cut sleeves, a wide neckline and form-fitting figure. She also wore a headpiece. Forming around her head in a ring of rich orange.

It was a rather empty celebration, for Jacqueline didn’t bother to tell her relatives. They had long lost contact, with thoughts that both sides were content in life and would be until death.

“You may now kiss the bride”.

 

 

****

 

 

Bells ringing were shifted out with hollow knocks on the door. When opened, it was as if death stood in the frame. Obstructing all light from getting past the figure. This however was merely the wild imaginations of William. Because it was his dreaded nightmare that had arrived. The dreadful old hag: Grettel.

“My, how nice of you to let me in, Mirabelle… Did you perhaps know that today is the day you return with me?”. William stood flabbergasted. He had no idea that today was the day! He tried his best to forget the deal, hoping that it would disappear on its own.

As if on reflex, William slammed the door in the face of Grettel and ran into Joss’ room. He screamed “Joss! Helb me! I must hide”. His big brother sat bend over, working on a large piece of wood. Confused, Joss asked “Hide?.. Why do you want to hide?”. William began to explain but was interrupted by a hoarse voice, “Because, she’s rather shy…”.

Grettel answered Joss’ question, while she rested her body on the door frame. Her eyes glinting with hidden intent.

She then asked “May I inquire about your father’s whereabouts?”. It took a while before it also dawned on Joss, that today was the day… He rose from the floor into a defiant stance. Then he scolded “Who do you think you are!? You can’t just walk into other people’s house like this!”. Then he added “Besides, our father isn’t home. And he won’t be until next year!”. 

William went behind Joss for protection. For his kind brother had just blatantly lied for William’s sake, to get Grettel to leave... Their father was in fact asleep with his new wife, right next door. However, they hadn’t woken up yet because it was only an hour past dawn.

Grettel repeated “Until next year!? Hrmf! What an obvious lie, hehe…”. Then she began to break the lie down. She said, “Why should your father leave from his post and responsibilities? And for an entire year!?.. Hehehe, what a bad liar you are!..”.

Her laughter faded while she glanced around the room. As she invaded the place, she had observed how quiet the house was and concluded that, “Nonetheless, he probably isn’t here at the moment. So I’ll come back later…”. Before leaving she smugly said, “Until then, my dear children”.

She left the same way she had entered. Without any escort or permission.

Joss and William stood for a while, staring at the afterimage of the crooked woman. The silence broke when William muttered “What dwo I do?..”. Joss thought for a while. He walked around in circles, churning his brain for answers. Alas there were none. He collapsed on the bed and lamented “There is nothing we can do, Mirabelle!”. This answer was unacceptable. William refused to let it end like this and suggested “What do you mean, there ish nothing we can do!? How about I run away? Or hide until she gwives up? There must be some way..?”.

Joss shook his head and explained “No… You have to accept the outcome. You can’t run away because your too weak and small to survive outside the village. Besides, our father would probably track you down within a day… You can’t hide either for the same reason... In the end your enemies are too strong and… It’s because I’m your only ally…”.

William gave Joss a sympathic look and said “It’s… It’sh not your fault, Joss… It’sh the adults whose minds have become unhwinged…”. Joss clenched his fists. He imagined how it would feel to pommel Grettel in the chin or through her stomach. Sadly, violence couldn’t be the answer. Not when children were the perpetrators.

William wasn’t ready to give in yet…

He needed to convince his so called father, to let him stay. He rubbed his chin for ideas… William knew that his father was rather stubborn and selfish most of the time. He wouldn’t botch, whether William weeped or threatened him with a knife. However… Maybe. William smirked “Joss! I have a pwan...”.

Both siblings helped each other carry out the plan, before the adults began to stir.

When it was set William bashed into his father’s love-nest and exclaimed “You can’t giwe me away!”. The sudden declaration woke his father up at once. The man glared at William with his narrow morning-eyes “What are you babbling about? Get out! And don’t come in and wake us up again!”. William didn’t listen. He was sick and tired of this father of his. This time he was going to pay the price for disregarding his child. For William knew his weakness.

“If you don’t let me stway, I’ll never reweal to you where I hid the Castonale recipe!”.

The recipe was unique. It had been handed down through generations in the father’s family. It was their precious heirloom. So of course the father went out of his mind when he heard this. He fumbled out of the bed like a crazed cow.

Then he stumbled his way towards William with blood-red eyes “Don’t play with me! You can’t possibly have dared to touch it! You don’t even know where it is!”. To this William closed his eyes as he stated “Up in the attic in a wooden chest, protected by a leather envelope”.

The father growled “How dare you! Give it to me now, Mirabelle!”. William simply glared at his father and repeated his order “Let me stway! Or I’ll never tell you where I hid it! Even till the dway I die!”.

William’s father had only one sentence to say before he went for action “Then, so be it…”. The father raised his hand and within seconds it made contact with one of the most vulnerable creatures in existence. His child…

William had expected to be hit, but at most until he had a nosebleed. However this man, masquerading around as his own flesh and blood, broke what they had in common. Through the long harsh beating, William did yelp a few times, however he never gave in. Now was the time to stand!

Joss came back, after he finished washing of the evidence of their crime. When he saw the scene that had unfolded, he immediately called out “Stop!”. As if deaf, his father continued to beat his sister into many interesting colours. Joss became enraged, having a good look at people’s brutal nature. It didn’t take long before he dashed towards his father. Heading for a tackle. Sadly it was like fighting against all odds. A child against a bonded adult…

What a joke. The man only slightly swayed before he pushed away his son.

Then he smacked William in the face for the last time, before he commanded “I’ve had enough of your unruly nature, Mirabelle! Tell me where you hid the recipe!.. Or it won’t be long before you join Vanessa!”. Although the father promised death, it was merely a threat. However he had no qualms beating his daughter senseless for the powerful message it gave...

Along with some bright red blood, William spat out two baby teeth. Joss shivered at the sight  “How could you do this!? I thought we were never meant to beat women this badly!? But look at her! She looks like a dinosaur ripped off her face!”. To this the father said nothing. Instead he called for Jacqueline to clean William’s hideous mug. Before the two females went away, the father threatened “If you don’t give me that recipe today… You’ll get the same treatment tomorrow”.

“Tomorrow!?”, an old cackling voice repeated.

The father looked to the door and was surprised to see the old hag.

Then within minutes he put two and two together and grumbled “So that’s why Mirabelle was so willful today…”.

22