Chapter 47: There’s a path in the lake
681 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Days went by, as the leaves turned from bright green to dark yellow. William found himself daydreaming a lot these days… He would often replay the last time he saw and interacted with Joss, in his mind. When he could he would take a peek now and then to see if Joss walked properly… But there was never any words spoken. Life was truly lonely…

Shadows moved across his face, while the sun raced along the clouds. The same pan would be scrubbed again and again. Really some mind-numbing work.

It was nearing dinner time, so Grettel made her words travel through the house, “We’re gonna eat soon! So go wash your hands!”. As usual, William helped the servant deck the table for four people. Alas, only three showed up.

This brought great dismay to the old hag. She lamented, “Where is Batcock!?.. Is he out chasing critters again?.. Mirabelle! Go fetch him and tell him that dinner’s ready”. William nodded and went out into the cold weather. As a mere servant he wasn’t given a cloak or anything to keep him warm when he was out on errands. Adding another grudge to his already full checklist.

William searched the usual places where Batcock would play, but he wasn’t found anywhere… Strange?

William thought: He usually isn’t the type to play hide-and-seek… Did he get lost somewhere?

Seeing that merely looking wasn’t enough, he began yelling out his name. With great self control. “BATCOCK?”, “BATCOCK? Where are yuu!?”. But none answered. He kept yelling around for an hour, until Grettel appeared from within the darkness. Her face was distorted as she asked, “Have you not found him yet!?”. William shook his head, “no…”. Grettel was very disgruntled hearing this and ordered, “Then keep looking! Don’t come back until you’ve found him!”. Then she herself went back to warm up before the fireplace.

The other servant was also made to search the island for the child… It got late. So late that morning dawned anew. William was exhausted, yelling and wandering about in the cold all night long. So he decided to return for a status update. He said, “Grettel… I’m… I couldn’t fwind Batcock…”.

The old woman gnashed her teeth in anger and ordered, “Then alert all the other villagers! Let them now that my son is missing and that if they see him, they must guide him back home to me!”.

The little girl stood for a while in front of the fireplace trying to get warm, but this, Grettel wouldn’t allow. She snarled, “What are you waiting for!? Go out and tell them!?.. Or his disappearance will be on your hands!.. HA!.. Don’t think for even a second, that I haven’t noticed the way you’ve been eyeing us with hatred…”.

Grettel stood up from her chair to push William out of the door. Before she completely closed it, her voice slipped through, mumbling, “I wouldn’t be surprised…”.

 

 

****

 

 

The first snowflake of the year danced down from the sky. A sky that was completely white... So was William’s face. He was learning how to weave from the other servant. It was difficult, for his hunger would always make his concentration slip, along with his hands. And everytime they slipped, a sharp sting would follow.

It was the servant, who thought teaching with a smooth stick was the best method there was. William stared at his pale hands that were decorated with red marks… He wondered what fate Batcock had met, since he was still missing…

The crime had been pinned on him. Grettel said that it was his fault that her son had gone missing, and so it was only appropriate that he was punished for it. That meant only the bare minimum of food and water was provided and the working hours were stretched long and many.

When he wasn’t working he was forced to keep searching for clues to Batcock’s whereabouts...

Suddenly, The servant caught interest in something happening in the background. It was the usual Ice Dipping day. However only one child was getting ready to join the rest. It was Talbot. He alone, threw away his clothes for a towel. For one of his younger brothers were missing, while the other was bedridden. It was as they said. Twins must never be separated…

The servant shook William’s shoulder and told him, “Enough weaving for today. You should go and help Talbot hold his towel”. William complied with a lifeless, “Sure”...

It was as Joss predicted. This year there was as many girls as there were boys. They could thank the raid for that…

The two kids joined the flock and wandered along with them, down towards the lake. Talbot saw someone he knew and dashed to their side, leaving William in the dust. But William didn’t really mind… They reached the lake and a hole was cut through the thick ice. Each kid made a shrill cry when they hit the water. Hearing this, William muttered to himself, “It must be freezing…”.

Grettel’s son went in as one of the last. The moment he came up, he grabbed the towel William was holding and went back home with great haste. William stood numb to the cold. During the event his eyes had been locked unto the mainland. Admiring the appearance it took every winter…

One of the adults came over with a warm smile and asked, “I think I know you… You’re one of Grettel’s servants right?..”. William kept staring at the scenery and shrugged, “Yeah?”. The kindhearted man continued, “If you’d like I can escort you back?”. William lifted one corner of his mouth and replied, “No thwanks… I’ll head bwack soon by myself...”.

The man understood and bid his farewell. When the cold finally kicked in, William noticed that he was all alone. Not a single soul was left after the dipping had taken place…

And for some strange reason, William wanted to get nearer to that hole in the ice. The water within it was almost pitch black. William took a deep breath in the silence and thought: Here I am… I wonder. Why am I even here?.. I used to have a great life… A great family… But now… It feels like I’m all alone… Should I view this life as my second chance? No… This is more like a punishment. By that nasty, evil, horrendous, crappy, stupid, poisonous book! Is any of this even real!?..

For if it isn’t I don’t want to be here anymore...

William squatted down to test the water. “Yikes! It’sh ****ing cold!”. His finger tapped at his knee, while he tried to organize his thoughts. He muttered to himself, “Hmm... Shwould I?”. 

While one hand helped balance his body, the other splashed the water around. In truth William didn’t want to give up. What he sought was control over his own life. Sadly he had already been weakened a great deal by Grettel’s ‘care’. He probably wouldn’t last much longer in her household, whether she intended to kill him or not.

So why not let himself decide how and when he goes. This was his resolve. So he stood up and said his last words with a carefree tone, “I guess… There won’t be much to regwet…”.

A clear voice asked from behind him, “Are you sure about that?”.

20