Chapter 58: Whisky for breakfast
638 5 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was time to serve breakfast for that rotten kid. William waited as usual for the cook to assemble the plate. On it was pork sausages with herbs, sheep milk cheese and white bread. And as always along with a jug of water accompanied by a mug, came the unsettling glass meant solely for whisky…

William glared at it and had to ask that chatterbox of a cook, “I don’t get it… Why does Brice get a glass of whisky to down with every dawn? Isn’t it bad for one’s health?”.

The cook moved quickly onto the next servant who needed a plate assembled. While her hands shoved food on the plate, she jabbered, “Oh that? Well, you see, this ‘whisky’ is actually a very exotic drink that only the lord and his family gets to taste… They say it has a certain kick to it. Just the right amount for waking up, all drowsy and mole-eyed! Hehe... I say! It must be pretty good for them to constantly import it all the way up here! Maybe it’s to brag about how extravagant taste they have, indeed… I said to Bathia this morning that merely taking a sniff of that drink can make one wide-eyed like an owl and jump like a fish out of the waters! I’ve never felt such a sharp sense in my brain before I tell ya!.. It is the strongest drink I’ve ever sniffed!”. William had to stop her with a, “Thanks, Emmott for those wonderful details! But I gotta go... Can’t keep the young lord waiting!”.

While William served the fancy breakfast, Rex arrived to accompany his master. They smalltalked for a bit whilst enjoying the first rays of sunlight.

Rex squinted his eyes as he said, “Young master, as I recall it. During the last Winter Weddings the discipline you lacked the most at was Dinosaur Taming, correct?.. Thus, wouldn’t it be wise to start practicing that specific discipline before our leave draws near?”. The otherwise tranquil mood soon dissipated and left an ice cold aura to float around Brice.

He glared intensely at Rex while a stiff frown slowly formed on his lips. Seeing that his message didn’t come across in those tense short minutes, made Brice narrow his eyes further. From his loyal servant’s mouth, words had been spoken that wounded him beyond reason.

“... I can’t believe you forgot!”. A slammed fist almost tipped over the glass William was trying to fill with clear potent liquid. Brice raised his voice along with his body, “Do I look capable of such a feat right now!?”. Rex blacked out. Immediately regretting his slip of the tongue.

Brice rashly took a sip of the unique alcohol. His gaze fixated on Rex, who stammered in self defense, “I-I… I’m afraid I indeed forgot… I have been so used to young master being bonded, that the mere thought of the opposite being true!... Leaves one forgetting reality”. The servant who tried to save his hide with clever words was scolded with fire… Literal fire!

William who was a background character at this point, was stunned by this explosive act. He found it best to remain a wallflower and thus he took a few steps back. Letting the drama unfold without becoming a unintentional casualty!

The young red-headed lord seemed fond of playing with flames. Even though this ability had died out along with poor Gibby, the alcohol he held in his mouth could allow him to enjoy almost the same perks. Without warning it was spit onto a burning candlestick. It went from a small flame into a powerful blaze. Directed at a certain servant.

Rex screamed while he covered his face. It did him no good. The fire soon caught his flimsy hair and ate it all up in a *poof*. Rex shivered as his hands slowly slid down his now hairless face. He could hardly believe that a loyal fellow like him, would someday get to taste his master’s wrath…

Rex’s eyes sought forgiveness but were met with a cold glowering face from which the sentence came, “I hope you’ll repent and consider your actions more carefully till next time we meet… You can go tell the head servant that you need a new position until we depart for the festivities… Until then, you bet I don’t want to spot that bald head of yours!”. Rex, who thought he had sneaked his way into Brice’s heart, was now blinking like a dolt. “Y-y-... You CAN’T!”, Rex cried out in disbelief.

Brice almost laughed out loud from seeing this pitiful servant’s appearance. A mild smirk rested on his face, as he sat down to continue his morning meal. Rex was given nothing. Not a look nor a sound. He just stood there as his master tasted the cheese. Brice spent minutes clearing the creamy wonder from his throat.

After he had successfully swallowed the contents in his mouth, he sneered, “What do you mean by: I can’t?.. Hmm? Are you perhaps suggesting that I can’t go without your presence?”. Rex picked up the thread from where he could and stated with confidence, “Yes! Think about it! Who else but I have been serving you for this long?.. The answer is: No one!.. I know my master the best and thus I am confident that only I can serve you to the fullest. I-”. Rex was interrupted by a brutal chuckle.

Brice swiped the table clean of plates and candles, yelling “YOU DON’T KNOW ME! Now get OUT!”. Rex saw how furious his master was but didn’t move an inch. This made Brice determined to chase the rat out himself. So he stood up and began stomping his way towards Rex. The now gleaming bald servant took a step back which each stomp. Within seconds he was led out the door that courteously slammed his behind. As it shut Brice panted, still seething with anger.

He had completely forgotten his surroundings, during the time he was having his temper tantrum. So when he heard the sounds of panic that noisily fluttered around behind him, he became rather confused.

William was busy stomping out the raging fire, that had begun to spread at a worrisome speed. Brice who had turned around to face this scene, felt his hand facepalm his forehead… He doubtfully muttered to himself, “What have I done?..”. It had already been well established that Brice was an expert, when it came to kindling a flame. But when it came to putting one out? He was rather clueless...

His mind was empty as he stared at the servant girl, who was quite frustrated at the moment.

William didn’t really find fire that scary anymore…

It was true that he had been engulfed by it once and died from its heat. However at some point as he got eaten alive by it, he felt as if they had become one. So at this point in time, he was convinced that fire was of course bad but not something to feel terrified of. At least when you compared the consequences of fire to what other humans could do to him, he would prefer to jump into the blazing flames!

Announcement
This wednessday, 15 april, there will be a big update consisting of 12 new chapters!
So, yeah! I hope that you guys look forward to it °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
24