Chapter 62: Blood pumping all over the place
539 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Winter Weddings was held as advertised: During winter seasons. It was a celebration meant to be a refuge, in a period that was fraught with deaths and starvation. For in this world’s universe, christmas didn’t exist.

Because of the cold weather most commoners refrained from participating in any of the competitions. Often It was only the bonded that could show off in these temperatures. They would battle and exhaust themselves, for the hand of one of the many fine ladies the host had collected.

The women were either daughters from well-off castles, powerful families or just other-worldly healthy beauties from slums. In the eyes of the participants, women with connections and power were seen as good for strengthening the hold or as quick peacemakers, while the beauties could give them healthy and strong offspring.

There was a reason for why these phrases came into existence: ‘You have a noble nose’ or ‘They have a noble’s face’. For if you were a noble, of course you would be entitled to have offsprings with the best of the best!

When the participants acquired the hand of the lady they so desired, a splendid wedding would be held in the spring.

Every year the same families from proper backgrounds, were invited to gain a betrothal for their sons and relatives. They were treated as guests and paid the host generously for holding the event. This kind gesture also meant, that they could choose from the women the host had gathered and participate without any further donations. While those who came uninvited from small castles and fiefs, had to sacrifice something of equal value of a lady, to get the chance to participate in these splendid events.

The tribute had to be paid before entry as death tended to lurk close by. Of course the most powerful daughters weren’t up for grabs...

In the midst of the bustling audience, Brice kept nagging his father. Lord Blaise snorted in irritation. When his son was finally done complaining, he soothed, “Don’t be in such a hurry young fool… You’ll get the chance to win the hand of a fair lady next year, I’m sure…”. Brice who heard this nonsense, understood that his father had his thoughts elsewhere and so he stopped his begging for now...

Cries of passion and death played like a song. Enthralling the crowd in blood-pumping defeats and victories. There were knights on horseback, riding with the goal of destroying their opponent with a single thrust from their lance… Crossbows, were aimed towards the sky where flimsy balls of snow and ice became the target…

Combatants wielding their weapon of choice, faced each other with blood coated on their helmets and symbols of power... And varying arms from thin to thick, lifted an axe and hurled it to fly as far as it could. The wielder hoping with all his heart that it would split the target in two… Such were the events. They were filled with hard workers and talented people.

In between the exhausting duels, ham cooked with dried herbs and sweet carrots, were served. Including, nuts turned around in hot honey and mead of different kinds.

For the finale, the grounds would be completely devoted to one discipline alone… Dinosaur Taming.

It was a display of courage and stamina, where one brave soul would face off against an untamed dinosaur. The champion would taunt it and preferable guide it with what seemed to be a charming dance. All of this prancing around was to let him mount its back and see who would best the other. In desperation he would hold on to its skin and feathers. Trying not to get flung off, before his record broke through the top, making him the winner.

This discipline could be done by non-bonded humans too. However the stakes were high, as one would be extremely vulnerable the moment the dinosaur had flung you off.

A small shield-template with a decorative charge painted on it, was hung for all to see. It was the house of Organdy that would test their mettle this time. As the champion had a showdown with the wild dinosaur, William couldn’t help but be reminded of similar passages in the book… For this place was where the protagonist met his lover. The one who showed him the way to the king’s throne.

It must have been a really cool event to witness. If William remembered correctly, the protagonist came to vent some of his bitterness onto his father. For the protagonist had been wandering about for many years, alone and brutally vulnerable after getting abandoned by his creator. In this daze of his, he found two strong allies… Nonhuman of course. It was… William churned his brain to remember the dinosaurs names… He was pretty sure that it was with Magmous and Mawde?

Anyway, the protagonist was determined to ridicule his father in the most honorable way: Through fair combat. So he challenged the three knights that represented his father that year. All of them with ties to the knight order: The Righteous Blade.

These knights weren’t just there for decoration. Many had fought them and fallen from grace beneath their palms. They were called by many: The land’s strongest. Having such an immense title, meant no mercy if they should slip up and ruin it. So of course the protagonist took his time mercilessly beating them before the eyes of countless bigwigs and peasants. But none knew it was him. He had signed himself up as an apparent nobody. This fact only rubbed further salt into the wounds of those he had slapped down into the abyss of shame.

William felt excited reminiscing about this sweet revenge. Yet he soon felt disappointed, because he probably wouldn’t be able to witness it for himself… If it should take place, it would be a few years from now… William sadly couldn’t remember exactly when...

 

 

****

 

 

As soon as night fell, parties of all kinds sprung up to revitalize the people. Brice attended at one of these parties, along with his ‘trusted’ servants. These servants would for the most of it, stay in the background and wait to cart the sucker away when he had become dead drunk.

An hour or two had already passed by and William was beginning to see a soft pink hue on Brice’s cheeks. Signs that both him and Rex picked up on. Rex commented, “Do you see that fresh hue displayed on his face?.. It’s time for us to get ready to carry him…”. William nodded and said, “Yeah… I’ve seen him down over twelve mugs of who knows what… I truly hope he doesn’t puke all over us when we try to wrestle him out of here...”. To this Rex scuffed, simultaneously wearing a soft smile and a scowl. “Mirabelle, you… Really are cheeky sometimes, huh?”.

But things didn’t go as planned. A group of horny teenagers would try their best tonight, to send their innocent brethren onto a path of sinful delights...

Brice was surrounded by them and found great fun in their company. Until he divulged a secret with them, that left them all speechless. One of the more mature boys seemed baffled. He must have heard an unbelievable thing, for he immediately asked Brice once again just to confirm it; “Is it really true that you’re still a full blown virgin!?”.

Another young lord, dazed on his shoulder because his head was filled with booze. Once his eyes stopped swimming about in a mist, he yelled into Brice’s ear, “We cannot have thaaaaat… Poor man!”. The older boy continued to lecture his junior, “You’re missing out dear Brice! Look at that lass over there! You should totally go ahead and make her yours! Here, look! Watch me!”.

And thus a shameful display unfolded before their eyes. He just went right up and smooched her. Even more surprisingly the lady didn’t seem to mind!?

Brice was stunned in awe, “How did you do that!? Shouldn’t she-”. The lord grinned as he explained, “Shouldn’t she what?.. We’re lords for god’s sake Brice! It is an honor for her to be kissed by one of us!.. And that rule also counts for so much more...”.

17