Chapter 73: The “M” word
578 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is often said that hatred breeds more hatred… That the soul’s darkest core will lit a fire for those it yearns to see put to rest… Such were the arrows that embodied that night… Arc after arc scorched the cloudy sky. Soon, screams accompanied the sky impalers. A young man barely escaped the house with one of his sons, before it collapsed and extinguished the lives of the remaining household. He hollered out his sorrows to the winds, while he tugged his youngest son further into his chest. He tried to cry for help but his voice was cut short by a blade, that impaled them both…

It was a sword that wore the symbol of the Blaise family, but the wielder was of no such breeding. The sword was left stuck in the two corpses… It was a friendly warning to those who had tried to dampen the intruders’ parade!

 

 

****

 

 

Another father sat in Blaise castle’s great hall, safe and sound. In front of him sat his eldest son. The father drank a few gulps, continuing his drinking spree. He found it hard to tell his son what they had discussed in the council chambers… Or rather, yelled about.

His hoarse voice mumbled, “Joss… I’m afraid the hunt for the bandits must go on”. He took a gulp once again before explaining, “You probably haven’t heard the news yet… But somehow the Ravaging Shades gained access to our gear with the Blaise symbols on them… Those cowards framed us. They went right ahead and poured bad blood between the Blaises and Talcans. They made our past efforts count for nothing...”.

Joss was unsettled by these mettlesome bandits but found it more worrying that his father wasn’t done drinking yet. So he grabbed out after one of his cups but unfortunately he wasn’t quick enough.

The father disapproved of this behavior at first, yet a quirky smile soon spread on his lips. He shook his head at this silly boy and went deeper into the topic, “You see… Villages under the protection of the Talcan family have been assaulted… Their homes were set ablaze with flaming arrows and their livestock was slaughtered, leaving most homeless and dirt poor… Lord Blaise has set me out on a mission… However this time… I’m going alone, Joss”.

Joss immediately disagreed, “But you can’t!... I have to go with you and settle this score as well. Clearly, they’re mad that we managed to kill and wound some of them during our last encounter… So-”. The father interrupted him with rough laughter, which soon turned into a sentence, “Haha, no you simpleton. This time I go alone… You must stay… And look after our family. They need a leader that can protect them and support them in the future… I’m afraid this will be my last campaign, son”.

The father’s eyes twitched and shook like a flashing fire. Every ounce of his emotions was poured into the cup he tried to see the bottom of. 

Joss who was witness to this scene felt pity for his father. Never knowing any better Joss looked up to this kind of man. Foolishly believing in every good his father spoke and glossing over his bad deeds. From birth till now, he had learned to love this kind of man and seek refuge in his ‘wisdom’...

Suddenly the father broke out into yet another drunken roar before he moved his worn hand over to ruffle Joss’ hair. Somehow the father had found his goal in the cups abyss. So he sprang up and almost danced towards the exit as if his brain had been mushed into pottage. Those who were at the scene couldn’t help but snicker and find this odd behavior amusing.

Joss went up from his seat as well. With an outstretched hand, he called out, “Father, wait!”. But of course, his father didn’t listen and instead said, “Joss, I’ve told you! I have to hunt those vermin down to make things right! Either way, my title has been revoked and my neck couldn’t get any closer to the block!... If I succeed we’ll meet again… If not, then so be it… No matter the outcome you’re the leader of our household now. You must accept that fact and move on! Be the man I taught you to be… No mercy!”.

The father stumbled around for the doorknob, but missed it and instead slammed his face into the door. This made the unwelcome audience flare up into laughter and ridicule. Joss quickly tried to stabilize his father, yet he was met with disgruntled comments, “Leave it, Joss! I can handle myself just fine! Or do you want to embarrass me further!?”.

Joss felt a piercing ache thump inside his heart…

If there was one thing he especially hated about his father, it was that he could switch moods with the drop of a hat. Knowing that his father was stubborn he loosened his grip, which allowed the grumpy mister to slip away to brood and ready himself for a long chase. For this time, It wouldn’t stop if they had to leave the Blaise territory. It would be a never-ending chase until the bandits were brought to justice.

 

 

****

 

 

“I’m going to ruin us!..”, Joss lamented in a defeated attitude. William felt like their roles had been switched for it was now he, who had to look up from his craft and ask, “What do you mean?”. Joss paced a bit around before he explained, “The thing is, I don’t know how to take care of a family!? Much less one which contains a conniving monster!... I’ll surely fail… And if father returns to such a household… Argh! I don’t even dare imagine it!”.

William lifted a brow and asked, “So he left you?... Without any instructions whatsoever?... That’s odd indeed… I thought our parents were preparing you for many years to do exactly that?”.

Joss halted his annoying pacing and muttered, “... They did…”. For some reason, he began to stare at his uplifted knuckles. He clenched his fists, then relaxed them, only to tighten the skin around the bones again.

Joss’ gaze panned up to meet a worried pair of eyes. William had caught on to his brother’s intentions. There was a question mark hanging in the air. Should Joss use violence to assert his role as the new leader in the Castonale household?

William felt it was crucial that he gave his brother a push in the right direction. So he said, “Don’t be like our father… Fear works, but it also sparks something stronger… Do you want Jacqueline to be more direct and unpredictable when she tries to get rid of you?..”. Then an insane idea suddenly sparked inside William’s head.

He sputtered with excitement, “I know! The solution is so simple it’s laughable!... Although you might not laugh when you hear it!”. Joss prepared his ears for the worst and egged his sister on, “Well, go on! Tell me!”.

William grinned while he explained, “We both know, that she wants your guts because your the next person in line to inherit the family…”. Joss found this observation plain. So he asked, “And?..”. William continued, “And she is the only female in the household with the title of ‘mother’... Which is what makes her son come in succession to the name and land lot after you... So what we need to do is get you married to a nice girl!... Then, this lucky lass will gain the new title and the right to have her children inherit the estate. Which will erase Jacqueline’s motive to murder you... Hopefully!... So how about it?”.

Joss became a popsicle.

His eyes couldn’t close. They were in a constant state of shock. “MARRY!?”, he yelped like an abused dog. Not long after that outbreak of insecurity, the door to the room sprang open. It was as if the bells of destiny had rung out. In it was a panting and confused Remony. She echoed the same word amidst her heavy breathing. “Marry?... Are you going to marry someone Joss?”, she asked as chill as possible.

The poor boy couldn’t utter a single word. The idea had exploded inside his mind. Breaking down all conversation centers and hopes of rational thinking...

Thank you Hayden Gregory, for supporting me! (/^▽^)/

16