Chapter 75: How to console a ‘friend’
538 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bruised swords, were flung into a pile on the ground, and words of advice, was given to each student before they left to attend their other duties. William was the last one to get his directions from the instructor, who told him, “Sir Ger, often said he would never take in a student… But I get it now... Who doesn’t like to polish matte metal and see it shine, right?”.

This sentence made William’s confidence shatter. He was pushed awake when the instructor gave him a hard clap on the back. The cuirass rattled amidst the instructor’s words, “You’re more than welcome to join us tomorrow as well!”. William’s smile made many waves, because of his unease.

Whilst departing from the grounds, he thought: So the reason why this instructor teared up and was so willing to accept me was because he knew Ger Persmith!?.. Just my luck isn’t it!? I hope he doesn’t sniff around too much or my training will be ruined! If he does find out I’m screwed!... I wonder what the penalty is for slipping onto the grounds dressed as the wrong sex?... It’s probably best not to know...

 

 

****

 

 

The kitchen staff was busy preparing a grand feast. Murmurs and gossip flew between dishes. It was the medieval radio that buzzed through the kitchen. Among the juicy news, a few lines could be heard by a pair of servants, cleansing a pig by the well.

From the kitchen squawkings, a sentence was heard, “It’s the Talcans! The proud lord Vilihame and his charming wife lady Mariel, have come to whip up a storm!”. Another just as riled up and busy soul snapped back saying, “Nonsense!? They came, so they could try to fix their broken bonds”.

A third party who was filled with panic at how much work they had, shouted, “Its war I tell ya! Hav’ ya seen the army, tha’ is warming up our walls!?... Ah!? Don’ serve it like tha’ you twit!”.

William shook his head as he softly giggled to himself, “They can never decide, can they?”. Remony who was supposed to be the recipient of this message was empty as the sky. Still not healed from the silent rejection she got from a few days ago. William hugged a long bloody intestine from the pig to his stomach, as he moved it into its very own tub. The animal’s ribs were now visible and cleaned from all giblets.

As William cleaned the biggest gut, he asked “Are you worried that you’ll never get an answer from him?... Or maybe you’re afraid it won’t be the one you expected?”. Remony poked the dangling hog, that was secured upside-down by a sturdy rope. She twirled it around for the right spot, then she cleaved at it with her butcher knife, “I’m not waiting for such a thing… He already gave it to me, the day I blew it all up…”.

William flinched at the constant hacking Remony made on the swine. Every time the blade split the meat, blood popped out like small droplets on Remony’s frustrated mug.

For each swing at the dead creature she made, it became apparent to William that it was no longer food to her but instead a punching-bag… Or rather, a stabbing-cushion. “Erh… Are you sure you’re alright, Remony?”, he asked nervously… As he watched her, William thought this couldn’t get any weirder, until Remony suddenly began smiling while her tempo went up. Oddly enough, this otherwise logical human being was letting herself get drenched in pig's blood, just so she could get the joy of venting her frustrations on a meaty opponent! Clearly, she wasn’t alright!...

When the bloody massacre was over, the pig had been cut into many chunk-sized pieces. Some of it was set aside to get smoked. The rest they were going to deliver to the busy kitchen staff... That was their mission until a well-known voice called out to them.

Remony froze on the spot. It was as if her insane-mode had been switched off, for she was now aware of what she had done. As scarlet-red dews fell from her hair, she tried her best to say calmly, “Hi… Joss”.

Joss stood bewildered at the sight of her. Thinking that someone must have dumped a bucket of blood on her or something! Rather than be disgusted at the sight, he asked her curiously, “Remony, why are you soaked in blood?”. William glanced back and forth, between both of them. Wondering if he should warn Joss or help Remony look less senseless.

Before he could make up his mind, he noticed Remony tighten her grip around the cleaver… Cold sweat began to form on his back. He knew that she wouldn’t do anything, and yet… Wasn’t there a saying, that love can make one do crazy things?...

William stammered “R-Remony!? How about I take that knife and deliver the meat to the kitchen? Hm?... It’ll give you the chance to chat with Joss… So?”. Remony threw the clunky blade into the tub of meat, before she said with overwhelming confidence, “There’s no need… I’ll help you carry it inside”.

William understood that Remony wanted to hide her feelings, by acting calm and self-assured. Joss fumbled with his shirt. He found it easy to believe that Remony was fine, but he knew deep inside that some things had to be said. “Remony, I… Is it really true that you… L-like me?”, he stuttered. Joss wanted to bite his tongue for the miserable performance he made! He usually wasn’t this shy and clumsy!

Her head whipped to the side, followed by nasty strings of hair. With a harsh tone, she asked, “And what of it?”...

“Well… I can’t help but notice that you’re very frustrated because of it…”. Joss made his point stronger, by giving her a certain look. They all knew that you wouldn’t normally get that bloody from butchering an animal unless you really went for it with a vengeance…

Remony stayed firm, yet her ears were beginning to show a faint sign of warmth.

Joss went straight for the marrow and explained, “If you want I’ll let you ride my dinosaur… In fact! You can ride her all day long if you wish!”. William sighed and began massaging his forehead. Remony, on the other hand, went from a stone statue to a giggling fountain. “Ahahaha! You can’t be serious?”, she laughed.

To show his seriousness, Joss crossed his arms and widened his stance. Then he replied, “I’m deadly serious!..”. Because Joss couldn’t give her anything else. This was his consolation for the friend he unintentionally hurt…

15