Chapter 77: To buy love with blood
545 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a peculiar evening. Two parties met each other for the first time in years. Both doubting the others’ strengths and past interactions, but in these trying times, they needed each other. They were willing to try once again to rid the table of its former contents and write a new glorious story for both of them! As long as a certain former incident wasn’t mentioned...

The Blaises had initiated their first contact and sealed their trust by sending out men to get rid of a common plague. So now it was the Talcans’ turn, to show them whether or not they were worthy of this friendship.

Before the heavy dishes were served, lady Mariel stood up and clapped for the hall’s attention, while lord Talcan rose for a speech. He swooped down from the raised table, to stand in front of his hosts. Throughout the dinner, his face had been rather stale but now a great smile rested on his lips. He cleared his throat and then he began to recite a piece of poetry, dedicated to the Blaises:

It clings to all shapes of vines and trees.
Those within us… Those who can be persuaded by a breeze.
A piercing red that solidifies to black.
This is the color of blood.

Come the first dawn, it was hidden away.
Till a man decided to make another one pay.
Its value and price cannot be counted.
At least not by a man...

What is blood’s true price? How much must he pay?
This a woman answered, one day:
I’ll wear its color not out of spite.
Indeed, turning hate into love.

Henceforth, the color was no longer owned by death.
But by life as well. For each new breath.
To turn something so vile into pure.
That is its true worth…

And to strengthen this belief further, we dine with you today.
For we know the true price of the substance as well.

It is of such value, that we are willing to seek it even on the bleakest of battlefields…

Lord Vilihame bowed when the poem was done, before adding, “We have tasted the same blood, you and I, Brigham… I hope that this poem of mine showed you how much we value this connection, even to this day...”. Then the lord glanced at his wife. She immediately understood his signal and announced their big surprise, “We wish to show you how much this shared blood means to us… Thus we humbly ask of you to let our youngest son Avian, flourish under your care for a whole year”.

Hearing this declaration of familial-love, forced Brigham to stand in a rush. He was exhilarated beyond belief! In his high, he went over to Avian while laughing like a bear. He lifted the young boy into his arms and shouted, “Of course!... Of course! I’ll have him here!..”. Then he gave Avian a great big hug. To signify how happy this arrangement made him feel. Everybody in the hall was deeply touched and toasted to this strengthening of bonds. Laughter and applause came from every corner. Except for a few who were stunned. Namely Brice and Yordan. It was a rare sight for them to see their father this affectionate to an almost complete stranger!

Later that eve when the entertainers took the stage, the atmosphere was filled to the brim with content and cheer. It was a remarkable show, comprised of both a dinosaur and a human. Twisting and churning their limbs in all sorts of arrangements. Some of their positions made the audience gasp and hold their full stomachs. Thinking to themselves how awful they would feel if they were placed like that.

The entertainers even went so far as to become bullies. The poor guests with bellies that were on the verge of bursting, had to quench their nausea for each eye-popping and mouth-eating performer that came. With how flexible and foreign their bodies were, you would think these people came from another planet!

It was due to these kinds of exciting events that William was happy to be Brice’s servant. With his lord’s status, he was allowed to linger around the highest order and view the entertainment from the best seats in the house. Truly a divine feeling, when compared to his former roles in this life!

The festivities went on and on. Lights had to be replaced and fires fed. Even the sky was so tired that it began to shed tears on the many-colored glass panels. William withheld a yawn and stretched his feet. It was challenging to be standing up this long without getting sore. 

Along with the cool rain, the hall’s atmosphere also calmed down. People chatted and seemed blissful just staring at the entertainment. Then suddenly, a flash of white invaded the room, accompanied by a loud clap of thunder. *BOOM!*.

This abrupt attack on their senses made people jolt and jitter. This enormous but harmless shock was soon followed up by hearty laughter. Lord Blaise stood up and toasted with a roar, “What a pleasant surprise! Why we all know!? Thunder in November means a fertile year to come! So drink up and be merry my good folk! Haha”.

“For all the fruits it’ll bring!”, someone yelled. “And for all the good ale too!”, another gleamed.

When the dinner was done, the lesser folk wrapped up and went home, while the nobles left to hold their own more private midnight-snack. This event required the help of fewer servants, so most were sent away to rest.

William went over to Remony with a skip, saying, “Finally it’s over!... I could really use some rest now”. Remony seemed a bit dazed when she agreed. They walked out of the warm and cozy hall into a humid storm that raged outside. They immediately got drenched and decided to run for it. On the way to their room, they met an unexpected shadow.

It made them both scream in shock as they thought it was a bandit. But luckily it turned out to be just Joss… Again!?...

He was wearing a leather-cap over his head and a thick fur-coat on his shoulders. Apparently he had been waiting for them to be done with their chores. A slight gurgle came from his mouth, as the rain tried to invade it. “Good evening!”, he said in high spirits. Both girls were speechless. They couldn’t comprehend why Joss was here at this hour.

The boy lost an ounce of courage as he was left hanging. His bloodless cheeks were invaded by a blush as he explained, “I’ve come to make amends as I promised you earlier today”. William wrinkled his nose and upper lip in disbelief. He thought: This dork!? What is he up to now!?

Remony, on the other hand, wanted to clarify the matter. She asked him in a state of bewilderment, “Make amends!?.. To whom?... Me?”. Joss vaguely smiled and nodded, “Yeah, you… I thought about it and I have to admit… Amends have to be paid as soon as possible and I won’t be able to so if we don’t do it tonight… You know… I’m really busy these days and I do really want to keep my promise… So… Are you free right now?”.

Lightning and thunder roamed around them, while the sky was soaked and black. Was this really the right time to enjoy a dinosaur-ride? For some reason, Remony also thought it was a good idea.

She grinned and shouted to Joss that she would fetch a cloak and then meet him outside of the gates. Joss went ahead and left, while William tried to heal his brain. Another thunder strike immediately came and woke him up from his dazed meltdown. “Hey! Wait for me!”, he yelled as he ran after Remony.

When he managed to reach their room, he was close to smashing into her. She had readied herself faster than the lightning bolts playing outside in the rain. William hesitated for a second but found the strength to ask, before she left, “Are you sure you should be doing this?..”. Remony halted her breath as she met his eyes. “What do you mean?”, she asked, even though she already knew the answer.

William facepalmed himself and sighed, “You do know that Joss can be rash and impulsive sometimes, right?… Argh! He… He clearly doesn’t know a thing about love if he can fling around false hope like that… Okay, that was rude… I-... Maybe he does like you but his suffering from an underdeveloped brain?... Either way, I want you to be able to forgive both him and yourself if heartache is what awaits you in the future… And may I add? There’s a fricking thunderstorm raging outside at the moment! Including bandits that lurks who knows where!?.. Wouldn’t you agree, that right now isn’t the best time to go joyriding!?”.

Remony paused for a second, digesting his words. Then she giggled and said elated, “Thanks for the concern but I don’t want to keep that cute fool waiting”. She was teeming with excitement and couldn’t hold it in any longer. So she ran without further notice. William wanted really badly, to stretch out his hand in a dramatic pose and yell, ‘WAIT!’, after her. But decided that this girl was her own and thus he went to bed…

At least he tried to...

Thank you, Ethan Gardner and RageMade for supporting me (≧∇≦)/ And thx to all my readers for sticking around.

15