Chapter 95: You’re leaving…
477 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The castle was off-limits since that evening so William crashed at his brother’s place. When Joss saw his sister the next morning, sitting in a corner sleeping in his living room, he was shocked. “Mirabelle!? Why are you here!?”, he exclaimed as he flicked the sneaky brat’s head. William groggily looked up and let out a deep sigh.

Without putting too much effort into it, he told Joss of what had transpired the night before.

The intense urge to scream and have a fit was painted on Joss’ face. But he was supposed to be an adult now, so he refrained from following his impulses and asked, “So? You got fired and banished for possessing a lethal weapon but you don’t want to live here, even if we could switch houses with someone on the mainland? Instead, you want to travel all the way to Halbal and help Harvick kill people!?”. His sister knew it sounded crazy but William couldn’t have explained it to him in any other way.

As for the lie about being caught possessing a weapon?... Well, since some time ago, he knew that if Joss didn’t believe that he was just training secluded somewhere in armor, but actually managed to join the upcoming knights in training, he would break out into a frenzied dance of anger...

William gave his brother an apologetic grin as he said, “Don’t worry Joss. I’m much stronger now and Harvick really does need my help. Or at least someone who can help him free the castle from its struggles… And besides… I’m not going to leave you forever?... In fact, you’re more than welcome to come visit and boast about how you’re now a great carver’s apprentice?... Doesn’t that make you all fired up!?”.

Joss squinted his eyes and lamented, “No it doesn’t!... Do you think I would be happy to boast as I watch my sister’s corpse get disregarded? Haven’t you heard!? Their so booked with dead bodies over there, that they have begun to bury them in mass-pits!? These people don’t even get to be cleansed by fire as a proper solvinian!... I bet you’ll get the honor of rotting sandwiched in between decaying strangers!”.

This disgusting imagery made William hold his head and admit: His brother really was stubborn sometimes! So he used his ultimate weapon. With misty eyes, he muttered, “It can’t be that you have forgotten, Joss?... That Harvick was the one who gave me hope back when Grettel lived…”.

Joss simmered down a bit as he remembered back to those times. He felt that he should have done more back then to resolve the problem, instead of patiently waiting for a calamity to happen… They really did owe Harvick a lot, didn’t they?...

Joss’ expression blackened, “And you think you can repay this kindness?...”. William slowly nodded, “Yes… No matter what I will find a way to repay it”. ‘And perhaps even be able to show you my dinosaur’, but that part William omitted.

His brother was still conflicted at the thought of death. So to distract himself he went over and reheated a stew, Remony had helped him put together. “Joss… I at least want to try and help him. Of course, I won’t stay if I’m completely useless. Why should I serve as the string tied around his feet? If that should happen I’ll gladly return… I promise!”.

Joss didn’t turn his gaze away from the cauldron because he felt a sharp sting in his eyes. This type of weakness he didn’t want to share not even a drop of.

Not getting an immediate response, William decided to softly ask, “... Joss? Are you okay?”. His brother kept stirring the mass. After some time had passed he finally replied, “Yeah!... I just thought about how we should hold a farewell party for you, before you leave…”.

 

 

****

 

 

It took William two days to prepare for the journey. Then, before he left his birthplace, he was invited as the guest of honor at Remony’s house. They had lots of fun as they feasted on a rare dish and humored each other with tales and hilarious stories.

William had his gaze fixed on Remony and Joss who were seated next to one another. He wouldn’t have left his brother if he didn’t feel safe, knowing that Joss could handle himself and that Remony would be there to safeguard that happiness. He grinned at the thought of those two being married when he came back to visit. That would be a nice surprise. Or perhaps he would get the honor of celebrating this union together with them…

The sun was starting to set, hence It was time to leave before it got too dark. William settled his sword to rest on his back. By doing this it looked more like he was on a mission to deliver it rather than use it for himself. Then he tied his shoulder straps in place. They were connected to a bag filled with travel-gear and the last dinosaur carving Joss gifted him. The rest of his collection stayed with Joss and the twins that would find them more useful.

He was now ready to go, but first, he gave them all a hug and thanked them for being so kind to him. When it was time to hug Remony, she held him in close with an aching heart, whispering, “I’ll miss you...”. This sentence made William lose color. Sure it was nice to start a new adventure but losing his friends’ company was a painful price to pay...

William waved and then he and Joss left. He could have made the first step of the journey alone but Joss insisted on seeing him off with Vash at the collecting spot. There, a wagon would take those who paid a fee to their desired destination. Compared to making the journey alone on foot, the wagon was much safer as it was guarded by bonded people.

William walked with light steps as Joss trudged along. That dolt thought that by slowing them down, he would be able to stall the inevitable separation. Joss looked up and noticed they weren’t far from the spot, so he reluctantly began to squirm his mouth. He wanted to share these last words while they were still by themselves, but he was stopped by a sudden appearance of two rowdy fellows.

These men didn’t seem to have a care in the world. With slack postures and lazy steps, they escorted their dinosaurs. Bulging sacks swayed on the sides of these big beasts. Not only were they ugly to look at. They were also very easy to recognize! For they had fishlike heads, decorated by snouts and jagged teeth that poked crookedly out of their jaws. Their forelegs were a mix between fins and claws and their hind legs were a strong natural spring, made for jumping and running.

Sure these hideous beasts were easy to remember, but so were the humans that had bonded with them...

Seeing the faces of these two men, Joss’ pupils shrunk as his cold blood shifted into an erupting boil!...

There was a time when he and his father had been out hunting these fools. During their quest, his father had pointed out, that especially these two fellows deserved to die… Because there was a 99% chance that one of them was the father to the twins!

William noticed how the air changed around Joss. So he removed his attention from the wild thicket surrounding them, unto the small group that crossed their path up ahead. At first, he did find them oddly terrifying to look at... Not that he could recognize these fellows and their pets. He had never seen one of them before, but he had seen their footprints and heard plenty about them to be able to put two and two together!

However, no matter how vile these bandits appeared, they were not out to harm anyone at the moment. In fact, they had just robbed a place for supplies, only to meet up with a larger group in the surrounding area that waited patiently for their return. This the two siblings didn’t know. But William did notice their small number and the murderous look Joss was beginning to wear.

He couldn’t help but lament in his heart: How dare god place such devious bait in front of my brother!? Or should I accuse the book instead of being so cruel!?...

No matter the cause, William found it oddly coincidental that they stumbled upon these bandits. For if their timing had just been one minute or two off, they would not have spotted this group, that was leisurely passing from one forest area to the next...

Vash that was silently following this sibling pair, could also sense the unrest. So it stared hungrily at the trespassers and wondered if they were going to kill them. It peered furtively at its parent and was happy to see that Joss was raring to go tear those meat-bags apart. But that stupid sister of his just had to stop Joss’ from his advance, by grabbing said person’s shoulder... 

William harshly whispered to him, “Don’t! Joss… There could be more of them nearby… They’re like mudsnappers, you know?… They seldom come alone… And after all that murder they have committed, shouldn’t they be fairly strong?... Don’t tell me you want us to die a pointless death on this road because of old grudges!?”.

Joss stood frozen on the spot, which made William believe his words had reached the boy. But they hadn’t… Joss was sadly far too gone in a limbo of sorrow that slowly made way for a frightening thirst for blood! His eyes even shimmered a pale red as emotions engulfed his rational mind…

These bandits had ruined his family, so why shouldn’t they pay?... Surely, this was all set up by god, who would grant him victory in such a righteous pursuit!

14