Chapter 101: I fetch, now you fetch
427 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

William carefully escaped the saltwater, with his dangling admirer sometimes swinging into his legs. Surprisingly, even though he went all the way over to the other dead animals, the dinosaur didn’t let go and continued to hang from the rabbit’s foot…

Apparently, it found it very soothing as its eyes remained closed for the most part. Among the other animals, William laid the rabbit. As he let it go, the dinosaur also lost interest in it. Immediately spitting its salty fur out of its mouth as if it never tasted it. Then it shamelessly went over in front of William’s leg and began to caw on its two hind legs. Seeing that the two-legged being didn’t react in any way, it went over to the carcasses to showcase just how wonderful they were.

“I get it, I get it… These are for me?... Thank you...”. But in contrast to his own words, William didn’t bow down to take them… Because he knew taking this bloody mess with him, would only make him into a living target!...

Fortunately, the dribble that continued to last was starting to develop into a proper rain shower. With this, the blood-scent would be masked. Hopefully enough not to draw any predators... But how could he get this obstinate little fellow to understand this: That bloody corpses are like killer-magnets?...

As he kept staring at the wide selection of prey, he noticed the all-consuming shadow that was beginning to cover the land. First then did he realize that the day was already spent and now only night lurked in the near future… A deep regret tormented his conscious. He felt very useless right now, as he had spent the entire day trekking up and down the river, with only this little bossy dinosaur to show for it… Unwelcome tears began to well in his sight, but he wouldn’t let them stay for long... 

For a short moment, he ignored the dinosaur to look upon the sky-clock above. He had maybe an hour to find firewood before everything would be laid in darkness. Because even if it rained now, he would like to be able to light a fire once it stopped…

The white dinosaur called out to the human as it began to lose interest in its antics. This kind of sudden abandonment it hated the most! So it loudly cried out a: [Look at me!], as it paced around the human. When William gave it his attention again. A devilish smirk had planted itself on his face. He thought: Maybe this little hunter can be useful if it can understand my request?...

William slowly walked towards the thickets to fetch a twig. Just the right size for firewood. Of course, the little anxious dinosaur followed right behind him. When it saw the twig it had a great urge to bite into it, but it withheld this desire as the human began to make noises again.

“Look here”, William instructed as he held the medium-sized twig in front of the cub’s eyes. Then he went over to the rabbit and carefully held it up. The dinosaur rapidly showed great interest once the rabbit came into play again.

William sat down in a squat. Then he held out the two items at the same arms-length. The dinosaur’s eyes flicked puzzled between the two opposites. When its attention was completely on the items, and it had seen how they were equal in ‘importance’, William withdrew his hand that held the rabbit and said, “Wood”, as he shook the twig in his other hand. He tried to show the dinosaur that he wanted this kind of thing and not the other.

The little youngling stared enticingly at the twig. Its eyes began to expand and then! *RAWF!*, it clamped down on the twig’s end. Happily tugging at it until William let it win the game. With the twig in its mouth, it purred haughtily as its fluffy tail-end swept some sand around. “Good boy!... Or girl?... Erh… Good dino!”, William praised. But this sudden outburst of sound only made the dinosaur flinch. It soon stopped its flaunting and dropped the twig reluctantly.

“Ah! No… I didn’t scold you little one?... Here”. William took the twig again and shook it in his hand. But this act merely made the dinosaur think that indeed William didn’t want it to take the twig from him, and that it had ruined something important...

William continued to twist the bark covered plant around, hoping that the dinosaur would give in. The little white creature stared at his show. Its eyes continued to expand and subtract but it never ‘went over the line’. William realized that communicating like this would take forever. It would be faster if he just collected the wood himself. So he gave up.

In his quest for firewood, the dinosaur still continued to follow him around. He did feel a bit anxious as it stayed close to him, not knowing its true objective. But he didn’t have the will nor the time to dispose of it, so he let it remain…

The dinosaur loved staying around this energy that it seemed to resonate with. It had felt this kind of tug before but never this strongly. It didn’t understand either why it was so comfortable to be near, but as long as this two-legged being didn’t get violent, it would continue to warm itself close within its vicinity.

William sat in darkness for two hours under a boulder before the rain finally let up. He was drenched and cold, so now was the perfect time to light the fire he had kept dry.

The moment the flames were ignited, the little dinosaur escaped in a flash as it howled pathetically. It had never seen this kind of thing before!...

17