Chapter 120: Stolen kill!
305 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time was of the essence, so Thalgar hurried over to Kaibalac who stood pitifully hunched over. To reach its leg he had to he run beneath the creature’s tall neck. From there, blood leaked like a fountain, bathing him and those who came to stand beneath it in a warm bath of scarlet red. Yet, Thalgar didn’t mind this gross waterfall. He just sprang through it, almost chipper to be doused in something warm.

Soon he reached the leg and began climbing it again, but although he was swift, Thalgar wasn’t given enough time to fully scale the creature. The followers had come, and they forced him down to join them in a fierce resumed fight.

Multiple bites and enforced nails found their way into the duos’ flesh. Spectating this scene was truly a horrible sight to behold! A sight, William was bound to watch. He was filled with astonishment as he saw how Thalgar’s dinosaur wrestled Kaibalac around, using its sore throat as a handle. Its main goal was to fell the beast to make it easier for its master to access its weak points. An intelligent move that was not quite as elegant to look at.

William felt his hands prickle with yearning. His only mission at the moment was to free himself and get that final blow in before Thalgar stole his kill! Such a thing would leave him utterly unsatisfied as it was he who handicapped the beast!... But this stupid wing just wouldn't let him go! If anything it tried to take him along with it over the cliff-side!...

Blow by blow, William was scraped by the wing across the coarse ground. If he was lucky, the wing would be blown just enough for it to bounce over his body and away. Whereas, if he was unlucky… Well, he would accompany it to the base of the mountain...

The two dinosaur’s tumble created a chance for Thalgar to escape the masses. Once their sticky hands were blown off, he sprang up on his own dinosaur and used its tall build to shorten the distance between him and Kaibalac. During his gigantic leap he regained a proper hold of his staff, and then in one mighty swing, he made a dent into Kaibalac’s cranium. Then another and another. Until its left side was completely busted in.

For Kaibalac, it was the end….

All of its present followers stood in a daze when the beaten dinosaur collapsed in a cloud of dust. Its tongue laid uselessly at the side, and as if a certain magic had been dispelled, the exaggerated teeth and claws of its worshippers disappeared. Their strength too had somehow dissipated along with Kaibalac’s dying breath.

“Holy ****....”, William cursed to himself, not daring to take in what he had just seen.

He was still a bit spiteful that his kill was stolen, but the revelation of Kaibalac’s true nature did soothe the theft. Besides, everything happened so quickly that he didn’t really get to sprout a deep-seated hatred for the behemoth. The only reason he wanted it dead, was simply to ensure his and Lucifer’s overall safety...

Once the shock of Kaibalac’s death had dulled, William tried to comprehend what had just happened.

He thought: They… They were all bonded to the same dinosaur!?... Just… HOW!?... Usually, it’s the opposite! Unless… !?... His stream of turbulent thoughts got caught off, as the wing scraped him another meter closer to the edge. 

Not only could the sound of ripping fabric be heard, but the clinks of metal. His injured leg throbbed and amidst that fresh pang of pain, William was enlightened. Of course! There was no need to sprawl about anymore when hacking the bones apart was his best option!...

So without further ado, he began chopping the bone apart on both sides, using himself as the center. As the hacking commenced, the reality of their master’s death finally seeped in. Once it did, all of Kaibalac’s followers started howling in despair.

“NOOooo!... Master!?”, Urka cried the loudest, in an ugly throaty tune. Then she glared at her detached hands as if they had been the ones to strangle the life out of the grand beast. The whole group wept while some collapsed from the pain they hadn’t felt before.

“… Leave!”, Thalgar ordered of them as he stood on their master’s carcass. The disrespect they were shown had their eyes bulge and teeth grind, but a defeat was a defeat. So they gathered themselves and dragged those who couldn’t stand away for treatment.

While they saw themselves out, a sharp crushing noise came from the wing that was successfully hacked into three pieces. Proud, William stood up on his sore legs. He knew that although his thirst for answers was strong, it had to wait until he and Lucifer were safe!...

To assure this, he first surveilled the surrounding area. For a few minutes, he let his eyes linger on the retreating followers. He knew that only by observing them, could he confirm that there was a viable passage to get safely down the mountain with.

Once his escape route was found he glanced over at another important factor: Thalgar. Friend or foe? It was kind of hard to tell. He wasn’t attacked for not leaving but neither did Thalgar come over to help him get rid of the wing… At least for now, William wouldn’t categorize them as a threat as both master and dinosaur were busy having a feast… They were distracted and this was good enough for him.

Now, he wanted to know how the little cub was holding up.

Quick steps found their way over to the unconscious dinosaur. Taking in its softly closed eyelids and slack, slightly smiling mouth made unknown emotions well up in William. Some he had never felt this strongly before. Cautiously he heaved up Lucifer’s sluggish body. It was somewhat cold and uncomfortable dull. So William hugged the small creature into a tight embrace. “To think, we both survived this madness… Hah… Alas, if only I could have used your wings… It would have made the battle a whole lot easier”, William whispered to the dinosaur, not wanting the attention of the dining duo.

13