Chapter 6: How many times will I be neglected!?
1.6k 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trotash was a dinosaur like bird. It had an exceptionally sharp and strong beak. It could easily snap off a finger or two... The bird loved the heat gained from making nests in people’s chimneys. They were truly annoying during the winter season…

William could after some time hear a muffled yell. It was his new father that screamed “That damned creature almost snapped my fingers off! Vanessa just pound that nest down into the fireplace!”.

Soon the noise from the chimney got louder and twigs could be heard scratching down the stones. With a *thump* the nest fell down into the fire and slowly began to burn. In the nest were eggs. They were sturdy enough to survive the fall…

What the children didn’t expect was that the ugly trotash would fly down into the chimney after its eggs. The dinosaur bird looked atrocious. It had small beady eyes and a giant beak that filled most of its head. Its tail was decked with feathers at the bottom. It was a colourful plumage. Mostly fresh purple, pink and king blue could be seen.

The nasty creature was furious and just happened to see two deserving victims. Joss could sense the murderous intent of the giant bird and fled screaming out the door, with William in his arms!

The trotash flapped after them, tumbling clumsily through the house and smashing things, while also making a ear-piercing screech.

Joss stepped over the door frame and for the first time William came out of the gloomy house…

As soon as they went out, the fresh snow got whirled up by the wind and covered them both in white flakes. It was deadly cold outside. William couldn’t see far with his infant eyes, but he could see smudges of what looked like houses, surrounding them.

Bisons, Buff Minorca chickens and wooly sheeps could be spotted here and there, between the houses... Behind the modest buildings and smaller hills, everything seemed extremely flat and white. It was the giant lake surrounding them that had turned into solid ice…

The sight he could behold was truly beautiful and breathtaking. Even though it was primitive, the white snow bedazzled everything it touched…

William was woken up from his daze, when he heard crisp footsteps halt and a soft *thump*. Joss had stumbled and fell to his knees into the thick snow.

The trotash was right behind them. Seeing how vulnerable Joss had become, it widened its ugly, massive beak. Prepared to take a sweet bite out of the human child in front of it! William shrieked in horror, sensing that his older brother would soon become bird food. Their stubborn father was still on the roof looking down the chimney, confused as to why the dinosaur bird didn’t come out.

When he and his wife had finally noticed the ruckus going on below them, it was too late…

The repulsive trotash had sunk its beak down into Joss’ shoulder. The poor kid shook violently and in his pain, dropped William into the compact ice crystals. The trotash brutally shook his small body around. Making Joss get underneath it on his back, so his delicious stomach would get exposed…

The trotash was happy to get revenge! It lifted its head, preparing to go down with force to rip open the skin and savor the guts. But before it made contact with the unprotected flesh, a dull object made of iron was hit against its temple. The dino-bird got limb and fell to the ground. Before it could get up, their father sunk the snow shovel’s edge deep into its throat. Halving its neck. He then pressed his body on top of the handle, so the shovel got pushed all the way through. Severing the head…

While the father finished his kill, Vanessa ran with panic towards the children. The first one she took hold of was of course Joss. He was the most important. As she analyzed his open wound, she shuttered with dread.

Her gasping voice broke out into a cry as she yelled for help. “Somebody! My precious Joss got injured! We need help!”.

The peasants and servants living outside the castle was a tight community. It didn’t take long before people reacted to the alarming shout. A burly woodcutter came running. He had thrown everything aside to come help the unfortunate couple. After him came an old wife with a child on her back.

The woodcutter quickly helped assess the seriousness of the wound. The bite was deep and needed stitching to grow back together. Joss had already gone out cold from the shock and aching pain. The man stated “This wound is serious! If you want him to survive you better go beg the lord right now! I was there just this morning, they haven’t left the castle yet for the Winter Weddings!”.

Vanessa could barely stand from all her trembling. Her husband and the burly man had to help her and their son go to the castle and beg. The tension was high! They hurried away towards the drawbridge. Leaving behind something precious…

William was stunned at how neglective this family could be… Were they just going to let him lie here and freeze to death on the ground!? He was frightened by this sudden and absurd possibility. Not knowing what to do, he began sobbing and crying. The only thing a baby can muster…

His tiny voice carried over to the old woman, that had come to see what the commotion was about. Currently she was studying the trotash. Licking her chapped lips, thinking of the wonderful meal she could make out of it.

She heard a weak cry to her right. A few steps away from the trotash’s corpse. It was a tiny baby enveloped in snow…

She frowned at the sight. This old lady wasn’t a kind soul… Indeed. It didn’t take long for her to figure out a devious plan instead.

She muttered her plan out loud, thinking that nobody near her would understand her cold words. She said “Those cursed parents left their annoying kid in the snow. When they do come back it will have turned stone cold… If I take it in, I will technically become the child’s savior! Kindness will always have to be paid back with kindness... I can take the trotash and claim it as my reward for saving their child, hehe… Wonderful. Just wonderful!”.

William heard how crooked she was. He instantly shut his mouth tight. The old lady’s wrinkled hand took hold of him and the trotash.

She grinned as she waddled back with the extra weight in her hands...

32