Chapter 8: It’s a deal!
1.4k 2 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vanessa and his new father were shocked to find a fellow villager inside their home. The father held an unconscious Joss in his arms. It looked like the poor boy was safe for now... 

Seeing that Joss was going to live, made William both happy and relieved. He almost got distracted enough by these wonderful news. Forgetting that an evil creature was holding him in a steel grip.

He thought, though his brother was raised to be selfish, this kid still cared a lot about his little sister... The boy could have thrown me at the trotash, using my powerless body as a distraction... It could’ve been me who was snapped by the trotash’s terrifying beak and suffered a dire wound...

The father was not too fond of this old woman and asked with dismay “What are you doing here?..”. The fossil smiled with the teeth she had left and answered “Oh, it’s just… In your hurry to rescue your precious son, you forgot this in the snow”. She raised William in her arms. Indicating what she meant by ‘this’.

Vanessa was shocked. It was only now that she had realized that they had left William to die in the snow. Her shock got replaced with surprise. To think that this old crone would safe their baby and even wait for their return…

Then it hit her. This woman had been waiting for their return. Knowing how heartless this person was, Vanessa knew it could only be for one thing. She wanted something in return for her favor…

Vanessa glared at the woman. It didn’t take long for her husband to follow the same thought pattern and arrive at an identical conclusion. Therefor he hissed “What do you want, old hag? Food perhaps? Or is it a favor you want repaid in the spring?”. The old lady grinned wider and replied “I already took my just reward… The trotash that you felled has fed the younglings and myself… I came here for something else... I have a proposal”.

William knew what this hag wanted to ask! He felt his tiny heart beat out off his chest. He really, really wanted his current parents to keep him. For now, at least!

A dry hand touched his head. It was the old woman’s. She began patting William while explaining “Oh my… You know how my dear husband hasn’t returned since a week ago… This winter won’t be easy for my family. We are already starving, even though the first snow has just fallen… I’ve heard that your dear wife has not been able to conceive a child since spring… You wish for boys and I on the other hand need a girl in my household. How about it… Would you consider an exchange?”.

Hearing these words both parents were struck silent. The father seemed to contemplate what would be the wisest decision for their future, while his wife thought of ways to keep her child…

The tiny body turned towards its parents with all its might. William stared into their eyes, with his own tear stained ones. They were pleading for mercy. Please don’t hand me over to this woman! He cried. I haven’t even learned how to walk yet and you want me to go to this slave master!? She’ll abuse me and make me work until I die! How can you let something like that happen!? He lamented inside himself with sorrow and fear.

The father opened his mouth, but was interrupted by Vanessa. She resolutely said “That, we cannot agree to! Mirabelle is already a part of our family. We can’t start adopting left and right… Besides, weren’t your newest arrival a couple of twin boys? Don’t you know that it’s a taboo to split twins apart?”.

The old woman wasn’t surprised at Vanessa’s response and only said “Twins, yes. That is why you can have two for one. Isn’t that a great deal? Especially if your beginning to age early in your roots… Besides even if I wanted to, I cannot feed them. They’ll probably be dead when spring sets on this island”.

Vanessa wasn’t happy in the least. This woman was stubborn and tried to guilt-trip them into making the exchange. She looked at her husband for support, but shivered when she saw the expression he wore on his face. It was seething with arrogance and a touch of anger.

The father complained “Vanessa… When is it okay for a wife to speak before her husband? Even going as far as interrupting said husband… Where is your respect, woman?”. Vanessa gulped and sank her eyes to look at the ground in shame. She was relieved that her husband didn’t slap her right then and there…

The father coughed before talking “It’s a fine exchange, Grettel... I’m just afraid that we do not have the remedies to support two boys at the time… But if you wish, we can make a different deal”. Grettel, as the woman was called, gained a gleam in her eyes.

She was listening with great interest while the man proposed “How about me and your oldest son go on a hunt together? Mine is still too small. He is only 5 and a half right now. What we hunt we’ll split in two equal portions, making it possible for both families to be fed. We’ll continue this arrangement until your husband returns… Or rather, IF he returns... Maybe your dear husband has met his maker. A whole week’s absence doesn’t bode well… Should your husband be departed, we can continue this deal until my own son is 10 years old and able to bond with his own dinosaur”.

Grettel rubbed her chin while calculating the benefits. Then she added “Sounds like a reasonable agreement. I’ll let you borrow my oldest son in those 4 and a half years… But I’ll still need someone to do the housework at home… To compensate me, how about you offer me your daughter? I’ll take her when our first agreement has run its course… Sounds fair, doesn’t it?”.

Vanessa gritted her teeth at that remark! This old wretch was too bold and shameless. Sadly her husband didn’t have the same opinion of Grettel. He simply nodded while heading her way.

He kneeled down to continue letting Joss rest in his arms. Then he pushed his right hand from out under his son’s body. Grettel smiled and shook the outstretched hand. The deal was done and what a great deal it was indeed…

Vanessa stood blank, while taking in this scene of betrayal. She wanted to keep this daughter, but now her husband had promised her away. In the future she wouldn’t even be allowed to call cute Mirabelle for her own daughter anymore…

Before the itchiness in her eyes grew worse, she grabbed William from Grettel’s embrace and walked straight into Joss’s bedroom. She didn’t want to look at this pair of scheming beasts anymore!

The father did notice this tiny fit of rebellion, but he only huffed and shook his head in disappointment.

He told Grettel politely to leave. Having her lingering around would only create discomfort and more chaos…

35