Chapter 12: Grettel’s secret…
1.3k 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

12 months have passed since William’s birth into this harsh world. It was March the 15, his birthday. Both parents were busy on this day. His mother was working the fields on the mainland. Sowing, weeding and ploughing the dirt that had remained after the cold season. Because finally the earth and soil had moistened and become softer.

His father on the other hand, was frequently accepting guard duty and brute work at the castle. He was after all a low standing knight…

William was left to his own devices, with Joss nearby, cutting a brick of wood into something else. Joss hummed and said “To think that you’re now 1 year old… Congratulations on staying alive for so long, Mirabelle”. It was said with sincerity. Every birthday was a homage for staying alive for yet another year. A task that could be extremely difficult.

Joss made the final adjustments of his artwork and handed it over to the child. “This is my gift to you! Isn’t it cool? I thought, since you won’t be able to bond with a dinosaur, I would make you one that will be yours forever!”. William looked up and saw the roughly carved dinosaur, in Joss’ hand.

If his brother hadn’t said it, he wouldn’t be able to guess what it was supposed to resemble. Nonetheless, William was happy for this present and accepted it with a big smile. “Twang Kyu!”, William uttered. He still had some difficulty with speaking clearly…

Joss stood up and brushed the wood dust and chips off his shirt. Then he said “Now that I’m done making your present, we should start working… Come, Mirabelle!”. Both kids went outside and began scouting the island for edible plants. They found Kale, purple sprouting broccoli and winter salad. Near the island’s edge there was also lake critters that they could catch for consumption. Some of them William had never seen the likes of before. Properly animals that survived along with the dinosaurs...

When they were done filling the basket, both were very happy and began singing a nursery rhyme.

Their bright voices got carried by the wind to another nearby child. Harvick met them on the hill they were transcending and waved hello. He was wondering why both children were so cheerful? So he asked “Why are you both so happy today? Did something good happen?”.

When they stood side by side he could sneak a peek, at the contents in their basket. Seeing their harvest he wowed and said “What a catch! I see that you’ve had great luck gathering food”. Joss nodded and said “Sure we have, but that’s not why we’re singing, hihi… Today is Mirabelle’s birthday”.

Harvick widened his eyes and quickly corrected himself, saying “Is that true? Happy birthday, Mirabelle. Congratulations on staying alive!”. They all went together along the road singing. Except, Harvick seemed to be mulling over something, that distracted his serenade…

As they entered the siblings house, Harvick checked his surroundings before blurting out “Hey! Mirabelle I have a gift for you as well!”. Joss was stunned. Thinking that Harvick clearly didn’t know what date today was… How could he have a gift for his sister ready so soon? Joss glared suspiciously at Harvick and said “It better not be anything weird…”.

William wasn’t as doubtful as Joss, but also asked “Wat ish it?”. Harvick made a goofy grin and said “I have a secret! But since it’s your special day, I’ll let you hear it!”. Joss frowned at this, exclusive deal, while William seemed very intrigued in, what great secret Harvick could be keeping?

Seeing that William wanted to hear it, Harvick escorted his little friend into a deserted room and closed the door. Joss wanted to enter as well, but was ordered to stay outside… He complained “Hey! Let me in as well!”. To this Harvick could only explain “It’s Mirabelle’s gift. You can’t both have it!”.

But Joss didn’t take 'no' for an answer and sneakily laid his ear against the door. He couldn’t help but snicker at how clever he was…

That was until the door suddenly opened, making him kiss the floor in an instant with a *bump*. Joss wailed and accused “How dare you!? That hurt like hell!”. Harvick only shrugged his shoulders, seemingly unconcerned and said “That’s what you get for being too nosy”. Then he helped Joss up from the floor and kicked him out the room, saying “Don’t try any more tricks! I don’t have all day to tell Mirabelle this secret”.

William could only shake his head at how silly these kids were…

When they were at long last undisturbed, Harvick leaned close to William’s face and whispered “Listen well… You cannot tell this secret to anyone else, understand? Not even Joss!”. William nodded with his oversized, heavy baby head. Then Harvick continued “Okay… The thing is, my m-... I mean, Grettel has been keeping something secret inside our house for months now… She has managed to hatch three dinosaur eggs… The mother of the eggs is long gone, so she feeds them with meat and looks after them… She told me that they have the ability of fire resistance! Because when she found them, they were being cooked in a fireplace… But they miraculously survived. That was when she began to suspect that they might bear that natural skill… She even threw one of them into the fire one day… I saw it with my own two eyes. Not a scratch or a burnmark could be seen on the cub when it came out… I think she’s planning to sell them to another lord… Maybe soon… We’ll be rich!”.

William didn’t know how to feel about this new information…

Harvick’s family was indeed dirt poor and had it worse than his own family. So letting them have the dinosaur cubs and get the fortune would be a noble thing to do...

One also has to consider that selling the dinosaurs, isn’t as easy as it sounds... It is a very dangerous mission...

If the seller isn’t cunning enough, they can be assassinated by the buyer and the goods will be stolen, without the customer having to pay a penny. Raising said dinosaurs and keeping them alive isn’t easy either...

So William was contend enough letting that crafty Grettel and her family keep the cubs, even though it was loot that came from his father’s achievements…

31