Chapter 14: Harvick’s new uncle
1.2k 4 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grettel was still pleading and begging in the dirt. This display made William’s father wince. When he couldn’t stand this behavior anymore, the father huffed and almost bit his tongue as he yelled “What bargain!?”.

Hearing that the father was interested, Grettel broadened her smile and bemoaned “You! Will have the honorable title of Uncle! I have seen how you appreciate my son. Please be his uncle!”.

There was much to consider. Being Harvick’s uncle meant that William’s father would gain some benefits, from this newly adopted lord. It was quite enticing, so he asked “This seems acceptable… Maybe as a new lord, he could ordain me a servant who can work for my household?”. Grettel nodded with vigor while saying “Yes, yes! Of course he can!”.

Harvick was not a part of this conversation. He could only let the adults talk…

Then Grettel said “But, you can only be his uncle during the next 4 years… Just like in the original agreement… Afterwards I want you to keep your part of the deal… I want you to give me your daughter when that time comes”. Hearing that the old crow was still interested in getting him, William shuttered and wanted to protest.

However protesting against his father would not lead to a happy ending. So he could only hold on tight to his mother skirt. While clinging to her, he muttered in a low voice “Miwabelle wants to stway...”.

Unfortunately William’s father found the new deal riveting! He helped Grettel up from the wet ground and said “I’ll agree to your deal, if you give me another additional year, as Harvick’s uncle… After all, you have been throwing around your weight too much these days. I won’t accept this behavior if you don’t agree to this extra year!”. Grettel didn’t like to lose a haggle. But sometimes one must let go and accept the conditions.

Else, she would be left with nothing. Hence she nodded and grabbed hold of the father’s hand. Shaking on their new promise to each other.

This was the second time William’s father sold him off…

After being abandoned and realizing that such a thing would likely occur often, William could really empathise with the main protagonist of the original book's universe… How sad it was, to be born to such a pair of cold hearted humans...

 

 

****

 

 

During the late hours, on that very same day, William was having a tough time with the chickenpox… But he wasn’t alone…

Vanessa who nursed him, felt her shallow hope get swallowed by the tears she cried that night… Alas… She was never meant to keep this child, was she?

While she sniffled her feelings out, she was holding a weak William in her warm embrace. Her trembling fingers played with the small tufts of hair, decorating the child’s head. William was having a tough fever, due to his disease. He was deep asleep, being chased by nightmares and ghosts from his imagination.

No one could save him, whether it was inside or outside his dreams. Yet the warmth that came from the unknown, gave him the courage to keep living and breathing in this frigid world.

 

 

****

 

 

Bright yellow and red leaves coloured the island. The peasants were out in the fields, harvesting their crops and getting ready for the Harvest Feast. They were nearing the end of September.

This was also the time when a certain new lord, was to be tested by his new family. Although he would first turn 10 in January, he was deemed capable enough to start sooner. The explanation why, was because he was as an early bloomer. It was the appropriate time to go out and fetch or receive a dinosaur for bonding. Sadly, getting one gifted from his new father, was near impossible.

First of all, although they were father and son in name, the lord of Blaise castle didn’t look fondly at Harvick.

Secondly, if they didn’t have the same blood and spirit type, the chance of finding a dinosaur from their wellbred folds would be difficult. This was because their fire breathing dinosaurs often bonded well and were a fine fit for a Blaise descendant...

After all both descending lines, from dinosaur and human, came from the lord and his own bonded dinosaur. Who already were well suited for each other. Getting in between those genes was a no go...

So the lord commanded Harvick to find his own and show him that he was worth his new title…

 

 

****

 

 

William was learning how to sew from his mother, as this was a woman's responsibility. He didn’t get to hold the needle, but was told to touch the fabric and the thread. Vanessa wanted William to understand the aesthetic that he should strive to make in the future. That was because, in this century, beauty was something that needed to be taught…

William was beginning to hate the presence of his new mother. She would always hover over him, saying “Mirabelle! A girl doesn’t run around like a wild goose!”, or “Mirabelle! Don’t act so wild! Nobody likes a wild girl!”. Every time he was caught doing something ‘too improper’ he would be hauled inside to sit down and clean dishes or stir the pot…

This woman was drowning him! He kept nagging inside himself: What!? Does she want to marry me off to some nobleman? Aren’t I going to remain a peasant’s girl forever? They don’t need such grace and manners… Haven’t I compromised enough? I’m a male inside you know!..

While Vanessa proudly showed William, her embroidery of two swans, the door to the living room opened and accepted in the midday sun. Both mother and daughter squinted their eyes. They saw two black figures march in. It was Harvick and William’s father.

The father seemed very busy and excited, as he strolled in. He asked with a booming voice “Where is my dinosaur horn? You know… The Roarbone”.

Vanessa quickly scrambled up from the floor and went to a nearby shelf. She took out a curved horn, made from bone.

Before handing it over, she asked with caution and a sweet smile “Why do you need to call on Thalken?”. The father fetched his roarbone and sighed “I’m going to help Harvick bond with his own dinosaur… Hopefully we’ll be back before the Harvest Feast begins”. Vanessa understood this, yet she couldn’t help but secretly frown.

She wished that her husband would share more important things with her, such as this. Instead of springing a bomb in her face every time…

William was excited to hear about this adventure of a dinosaur hunt. He really wanted to tag along! So he climbed up and wobbled over to Harvick. Seeing the glint of excitement and glee in the little kid’s eyes, Harvick could only sigh and smile. He held onto the little girl and said “Don’t worry. When I have found my bonded dinosaur, I’ll come by and show it to you… Would you like that?”.

William nodded madly, while bearing a huge grin. Before he could scream "YES!" at Harvick, someone else cut him off and demanded “Let me see it too!”. Both William and Harvick looked back to see a frustrated Joss.

Harvick kept his smile on and said “Of course, you can see it too…”.

The two shadows soon after left their families behind in the dust. Wandering out on a dangerous hunt for strength and honor.

29