Chapter 19: The great Harvest Feast
1.1k 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Vanessa you did remember to give them our proud heritage: The ale from Caston, right?”, asked the father. He was getting carried away by the lively flute and rhythmic drum. His wife however was not as indulgent and hearing about that damn drink, made her sigh.

Why couldn’t her husband understand that nobody liked his ale!? It was a region specific drink. If you didn’t grow up with it, the ale would taste terrible with the first sip and continue to do so, even after drinking a whole keg of it!..

Yet this wife had to comply to her nonsensical husband. She wryly stretched her lips and said “Of course, dear. Look. The lord and his sons are enjoying it again this year”... As a punishment when they lose at one of the many games present! She thought to herself.

The father had a dumb grin plastered across his face and giggled foolishly. He said “And that’s how things are supposed to be! Come now! Dance with me!”. Vanessa was grabbed hold of and flung around the bonfire. A frightful glint was seen in her eyes, but she soon laughed and moved along.

William and Joss were not dancing. They were busy staring at the giant dinosaur, Harvick had brought back home. Right now, it was using its beak to rip apart a deceased bison. This scene inspired both fear and awe at the same time!

William thought aloud and said “I wonwer if Hawick will twag me flywing somedy?”. Joss shook his head and commented “That is only if he survives… And if I haven’t asked him first! Hehe!”. William pouted and complained “No fwair!”. Both kids laughed. Joking around now and then was nice. At least they could postpone the serious issue of Harvick’s recovery...

Both children had brought along a skewer of honeyed meat, as a snack while viewing the entertainment.

As William took a bite, his cheek ached. Rubbing it made it feel less numb, yet he couldn’t completely ignore it. This Joss observed too. He clapped William on the back and said “Don’t worry. It might sting at first but then it’ll soon stop hurting… You know… You look like a berry right now… Hehe. Berry-face!”. William exhaled deeply at this unoriginal label and replied “Idiot!”.

Joss gaped at this and then puffed up his own cheeks. His mouth squished together like a duck’s beak and he said “Berry-face!”. This game was too advanced for William. As someone who didn’t have the ability to talk properly yet, he would quickly get called out and lose this competition. So he instead fervently shook his head and went over to observe the minstrels instead. Ignoring Joss, as a form of punishment.

This method always worked on his own siblings and lo and behold! It worked on Joss too. William giggled at this... Poor Joss. He was at a loss and didn’t know what to do now…

 

 

****

 

 

The minstrels were about to prepare for their grander performance. They had been playing cheery music from 4 to 7 p.m. Now the sun had long set and the night sky twinkled clear with beautiful stars. Their lead singer placed himself in the front with a tambourine in his fist. Behind him stood two assistent singers with castanets in their slender hands. In a circle surrounding them were: A ‘renaissance’ guitar player, a pipe and tabor drummer, a fluent cornett player, three playing the shawms and one playing on a exceptionally long shawms and at last a curtal musician.

All of the minstrels were wearing bright coloured clothes.

The ladies wore cote’s with a forest green base and orange rims. Whereas the men wore trunk hoses, with paned slopes, decorating the trousers. They were red and golden yellow, paired with feathery hats and a puffy shirt.

They all began to jingle their legs, where small bells were bound along their angles. With each step to the side a slight jingle filled the air. Then they stepped back to their position and so on and so forth. Making a light rhythm. The two assistent singers bowed and spun around as they gave the attention on to the lead minstrel. He started introducing himself.

He first bowed with a pep and then flung his head back with a wide grin. He hummed a melody and sang:

Night my folks, my gentlemen and women.
Feast as you can, my name’s Bard Habsi Hibben.
Tales of old, sung as gold. Spun from a wise master.
Alas tonight I’ll indulge you all in a disaster…

Then the minstrels slowly added their instrument to the song. Exploring its mood and dragging the audience along with them.

Fortress fortune was met with plight!
For the fake king had a son one night.
Rotten the witch, one was called.
A mother, a wife was told to withdraw.
- Such is power carved in cuffs -

Ten servants snatched, one hand left.
Still with silver and gold, was it theft?
Sorry my lord, two was called.
A servant, a knight was told to withdraw.
- Such is power carved in cuffs -

Flames they fell on the castle wall.
Thawing the hearts of none and all!
Raise the flag, three was called.
A brother, a sibling and the final straw
- Such is power carved in cuffs -

Scamper away now you little twat!
Yelled the king to the little rat.
What is fate, who shall be called?
Hopefully next, the sham shall be mauled!
- Such is power carved in cuffs -

Finishing his last verse, the bard hummed along with the instruments, that still played the foolish and dramatic melody. The bard then began springing around the fire and his troupe of minstrels followed along, inviting the others to join.

William was quickly dragged along by Joss. A tactic move, made to be forgiven and hopefully recognised as a living human being again! William laughed and let himself be flown in the wild circle around the fire.

The bard then began yelling “Come now my good folk! Sing along on this classic!”.

William although he was quite young, had already heard this song several times. It was a well known nursery rhyme. So they all chimed in and sung along as well as they could. The adults, especially the drunk ones, screamed with their lungs and opened their mouths wide so that the heavens trembled.

When the song was thoroughly done, the bard and the minstrels went back to their little stage (a patch of dirt) and began singing the song: Such is power carved in cuffs. Again…

Now that people were willing and in high spirits, many tried to sing along. Although most didn’t memories the verses, everyone sung along on the chorus, making the song explode with charisma and power. William tried to sing along as well, while dancing in a wild circle with his brother. They spun around, seeing who would be blown away by the centrifugal force first!

William won, because it was Joss who stumbled and flew backwards first. Landing on his bum. Yet William also lost his balance and bruised his own behind.

Joss laughed, but William was suddenly hit by an epiphany! It happened as he was sprawled on the ground, listening properly to the lyrics of the song.

He thought: Wait! Why didn’t I notice this earlier? Wasn’t the song, the bard performed, about the protagonist from the book!? Did this mean that all of those events described in the song... Have they already happened, somewhere on this forsaken land? If they have… Does the protagonist really exist in this universe!?

William was blown away by millions of thoughts… One thing he did need to know, was when these events took place...

So he waited for the minstrels to take a short break, before approaching their lead singer…

The bard Habsi Hibben. William couldn’t help but snicker inside: What a ridiculous name…

Wanna hear what those instrument sound like together!? Except the castanets. (ノ> ◇ <)ノ♪
Go to this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPB76pmWss&list=LLP9ElDZDt8jQ8fnC4nCnNNg&index=2&t=0s

22