Chapter 27: Adoring the rich and pure
863 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment the dinosaur hit the ground, dust rumbled up into a thick cloud. Both youths had dirt all over them from the rough landing. But their pearly whites, shined through, showing how much they enjoyed the flight.

Joss ran over to William to heave him off the beast. While the small girl was in the air, Joss flung her around in a circle and asked “How was it!?”. Then he put down William, who wobbled around a bit from the quick spin.

William blinked a few times before spreading out his arms. Then he went into a sprint as he simulated what it was like. He yelled “It was amaaaazing!!! Hahaha”.

Joss couldn’t hide his excitement and looked with yearning on Liberto. The dinosaur seemed a bit tired from the unusual ride.

It knew where home was and went with leisure towards the castle’s gate. Harvick however, protested and sprung off its back. Then he pulled at its rein and guided it towards the string, connected to the mainland. He appeased Liberto by saying “Hungry? We’ll go to the mainland first and hunt some prey… That way you get to eat, and I get to train and sense our ability!”.

The dinosaur didn’t really understand the assemblance of words, but could feel the intent of its ‘parent’. Before leaving Harvick said “Hope you enjoyed the ride, Mirabelle. I’ll have to leave now, since Liberto is quite impatient… I’ll see you both another time”.

Joss was still looking at Liberto with longing, but he didn’t utter a word about it… Joss simply wished in his heart, for his maturity to process faster, so that he could bond with a dinosaur sooner. Hopefully also one with wings… Because being able to fly was the best!

William was still sprinting around, on the adrenaline he had build up. Yet that run, was soon halted by a quick and firm hand. Scolding words and a face wrought with worry met him. It was Vanessa. She had seen the two come flying down, from who knows where? She was putting up laundry but had to drop everything, when those wild children arrived.

She picked William up by the ear and dragged him inside, saying with reproach “Mirabelle! I’ve told you countless times to act more like a proper girl! What if your father saw? Do you want to get smacked for being too wild!?”. William felt the sting from his ear and had to obey. He was brought inside, next to Jacqueline. Then Vanessa ordered “Since you have too much free time, why don’t you help our servant prep these vegetables!?”.

William silently waited for Jacqueline to show him the ropes. This made Vanessa convinced that her child understood the punishment. So she left with the words “Don’t let me see you run around like that again!”.

Joss didn’t intervene, as he knew that this kind of thing was inevitable. Although he was a bit sad, that his playmate was now preoccupied for the rest of the day. It didn’t take long before the rascal was out finding something new to do. Like playing on the mainland with other village boys or jumping from low hanging trees, into the fresh lake water.

 

 

****

 

 

A few days later, Vanessa’s mood was much better. She was practically soaring high, with a bright smile on her face. This was because some rich lord and ladies would soon arrive, to attend a feast at lord Blaise’s castle. Every time this happened, alms would be given out to the poor. And that was technically all those who lived outside the castle wall.

These alms were often bread, that the noble people would eat from, like plates. These bread-plates or trenchers, would absorb all the good juices from the meat and the fine sauces, that all the lords and ladies feasted on.

Such a succulent bread was a blessing for many families, who often ate pottage or gruel everyday. Including William’s. However hearing of this tradition, didn’t leave much of an appetite in William…

He looked with dismay at Joss and said disgusted “So we gwet to eat! The leffovers from whese lords… And that ish why mother ish so happy?”. Joss nodded and said “Yes! If your lucky you can get one that tastes exactly like roasted pork! Something only the lord gets to eat”.

The peasants if they ate meat, hunted birds and meager dinosaurs to eat. If they were celebrating something big, they could also reluctantly, slaughter one of their own bison’s or sheep. However, none of them were rich enough to keep pigs. An animal that only left the byproducts of meat, skin for drums or hair for brushes. Luxurious goods...

A short while after William complained, they discerned a carriage through their shabby window. This made all of the family members dart outside, to receive and glance at the shimmering image of rich people. Through the small windows in the carriage, beautiful and refined ladies could be seen. One of them was wearing an elaborate headpiece.

An escoffion, made of a stuffed roll of silk, that circles around the wearer’s head. The silk is a rich purple. Decorated with gold lattice and pearls. The hair is bundled up and instead a white, sheer silk wimple, flows down around her neck and shoulders. William along with the other males really admired these ethereal ladies.

For William, admiration was enough. He certainly didn’t wish to look like that one day!

Vanessa, however was deeply in love with this type of woman. She strived to obtain some of their elegance everyday… That was also why, it was such a shame that she soon had to say farewell, to her only daughter… If only she could keep her. It would have been so much fun to share this hobby of hers, with her daughter…

Vanessa sized up the little girl, whose features grew more distinct with each passing day. She sighed “I’m sure you’ll grow up to be just as pretty as them, Mirabelle… Maybe if you marry rich, you’ll even get to wear such precious garments and jewelry. Truly, the ultimate dream of every woman…”.

Hearing this quietly muttered sentence, William got goosebumps.

He thought: Certainly not! First of all, I’ll never marry! Secondly, I’ll never dress like that! After all, I’m still a strapping young man inside and I want to keep it that way, until the day I die, permanently!

22