Chapter 28: Let the swans guide you…
860 5 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That same year during october, whooper swans met on the fields.

They graced and ate up the winter-crops. This was indeed a nuisance, but they also fed families during this period. So to keep the swans coming, despite the poaching of their brethren, some of the villagers came to feed the swans old bread.

In the good old wattle and daub house. A mother was getting ready to leave for the mill. The harvest this year was abundant and thus they had ample grains, to feed themselves fresh bread. A few sacks were filled on a wooden cart. She also brought with her, the old dried up bread, that didn’t get eaten.

Before leaving she called out to her daughter “Mirabelle! Come with mother… Since the menfolk are out working, I have a fun activity for us to do”. William heard this and set aside the wooden dinosaurs he was playing with… Yes. In this world there wasn’t the internet, so where else would one get entertainment!?

William followed behind his mother, until they reached the string of land. His small feet couldn’t carry him any further, so Vanessa let him sit on the cart, as she drove it forward. William had never been this far out before. Although he did get a glimpse of the situation from above…

The cart stopped and was settled into the wet soil.

Both of them looked out on the open fields, that spread wide and far. The soil was black and upturned. Rummaging and pricking around in the dark mud, were elegant white creatures. This scene was serene and fair. Until one of the swans snorted and another grunted and squealed like a pig.

William gaped at this and couldn’t help snigger secretly to himself. The sound the swans made, were totally ruining their image. But Vanessa didn’t seem to mind. She could only take in the beauty that strode before her eyes.

Sadness couldn’t escape those pale blue eyes.

On the surface, Vanessa made this excursion because she adores swans... But in reality, she wanted some mother-daughter time before William was no longer hers…

She patted William on the head and said “Let’s go feed the swans… I’ve brought some of our old bread, to give to them… Here”. William was handed a few crumbs and pieces. He then followed his mother’s lead. She kneeled in the vicinity of the birds and started spreading the bread like seeds.

The birds wrung their heads around as if they had a sixth sense. Gracefully, they waddled their way towards the fine offerings.

William was quite amused, at how the swans so elegantly ate something so old and disgusting. Truly masters of etiquette.

Vanessa saw that William was getting too close to the swans. One of them began grunting aggressively. So Vanessa quickly dragged William back and said “Careful! They can be quite hostile… Don’t let them feel threatened or they’ll bite you”.

William listened and nodded his head. Yet if he could express himself freely, he would have chased this snappers around and made them regret their attitude towards him.

When they ran out of bread to cast, before these ‘disguised pigs’, as William would like to call them. Vanessa didn’t seem done yet. She cleared her throat and said “You know, Mirabelle. Visiting the swans and feeding them, reminds me of a song… Listen well… It’s something that we inherit from our mothers. I also learned it from my own”.

There lived a maiden, Fair was her name.
Everything she dreamed of, the lord made hers to claim.
Suitors were many and anything was gold…
- And yet forever she will be yearning -

Tall was the tower, at the foot they graced.
Pure white silhouettes, tempting her to chase.
At night they came, flying her away…
- And yet forever she will be yearning -

The early morning, swans she had to meet.
The winds were too strong, flew her down there to greet…
- And yet forever she will be yearning -

There lived a maiden, Fair was her name.
Everything she dreamed of, the lord made hers to claim.
Never again, the swans and Fair, they saw...
- And yet forever she will be yearning -

The last tune left her mouth. A melancholy expression stayed with her, as she faced William. Waiting for William’s opinion of the song…

Somehow it also made him rather sad, even though the melody was so pretty…

Nothing was said for a long time, before Vanessa decided to head back towards the cart. She waited on William, who seemed lost. Vanessa called out his name softly “Mirabelle… Come here”. The little child did as was asked. Yet it didn’t expect to be turned around, to yet again, face the swans.

Vanessa wanted to leave some words of wisdom behind. She opened her lips and said “Look, Mirabelle… Aren’t they beautiful and spotless? Even standing in the upturned soil, they remain white as snow… Even though they have great beauty, you cannot approach them carelessly. They are quite brave and will resist you no matter what… That’s why your mother adores them so…”. Something wet slightly soaked William’s shoulder. But he didn’t look up to see where it came from.

Vanessa wrapped her delicate warm hands around William’s shoulders. Then she continued by saying “Please, when you’re no longer with us… Be strong! Just like these pretty swans… Do you understand me?.. Mirabelle..:”.

She then hugged William in a smothering embrace and planted a kiss on top of his head.

It was a day to remember…

Wanna listen to the original song? Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVVvWS1Cszw.
It’s actually rather dark… Both mine and the original version… If you didn’t reach the conclusion. Fair killed herself in the end, even though she had ‘everything’. ⊙△⊙

17