Chapter 31: When it’s too late…
873 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
WARNING: There will be mentions of rape in this chapter. Please read on your own discretion.

It was a misty afternoon, where the white mist met with the just as white landscape. For it was already winter again. William and Joss were out playing in the snow with their winter attires on. Making it easier to stay out longer and hurtle snowballs at each other.

Their father came trudging back from the castle. He had news about Harvick’s conquest of Halbal, that he wished to share with the others. When the father saw Joss sneak up on William and give him a good face-wash with snow. He could only shake his head and sigh… They were still being so mischievous.

The father tapped Joss’ shoulder to gain his attention. The two children who were giggling and struggling with each other, looked up in shock and stopped what they were doing. Then their father did what he came to do. He explained “I have news of Harvick and the battle over Halbal, if you’re interested?”.

William beamed and quickly got up to get the news. Joss however seemed less interested, or rather afraid of what these news might do to his self esteem.

The father said “As I left the castle, they were holding a grand feast to celebrate yet another victory. There were talks of postponing future battles till winter has ended. But we can’t know for sure, as Harvick has been on a winning streak, even though he is now lame. This makes your father rather relieved, as m-...”. Their father stopped his sentence out of nowhere. His attention had shifted from their chubby faces to something eerie out on the lake.

William who saw their father, scrutinize the horizon asked “What’s wong, father?”. But the only thing he got was a harsh shush, as their father moved towards the body of frozen water between them and the mainland.

William looked to Joss, who seemed just as puzzled.

The father muttered “... Somethings… Is that footprints on the lake?... Or…”. He paused for a while. Then his eyes sprang wide open and he seemed to be filled with panic. William and Joss both felt uneasy seeing their father like this. So Joss asked “Father!? Is there something on the lake?”. The father however, didn’t answer and instead flicked his head between them and the castle gates. He was conflicted as to what to do.

The father’s whole body trembled with energy, as blood pumped through his veins. Then the father shouted “Quick! Run into the house! NOW!”. The children didn’t get the time to react, before their father grabbed hold of their wrists and dragged them inside. As soon as they were in, the father put shutters on the door and began pilling furniture in front of it.

Vanessa was bewildered by this sight and asked distressed “What’s going on, dear!? Why are y-”. The father yelled back “Quick! You must hide the children in the ‘cellar’”.

The so called ‘cellar’ was a cramped hole, dug under their house. If you lifted a few boards you could access it. Its purpose was to keep food and ale cold and edible for longer periods of time. Vanessa heard the order and saw her husband’s distress, so she obeyed without further questions. “Come children! Quick!”.

She flung some boards aside and made room for their small bodies. Vanessa then said “Joss! You go in first, then we’ll see if there’s room for Mirabelle”. Joss was led down into the dark space, which was basically a hole dug in the dirt, with a few stones to keep the structure stable. William could feel his insides squirm as fear began to take root in them.

He thought: What if there isn’t enough room for me? And what exactly are we hiding from!?

Vanessa didn’t mean to, but she kept pushing and shoving Joss deeper and deeper into the cellar. Her eyes were filled with desperation. She muttered with haste “Joss! You’re taking up too much space! You have t-”. *BANG!*.

A loud and thundering object made contact with the entrance to their house. This made Vanessa scream “Mirabelle! Get down in there! NOW!”. William was forcefully shoved down into Joss. They were squished so tight that it felt like their heartbeats were one. Heartbeats that were thumbing with dread.

Before Vanessa placed the boards on top of them, she said “Don’t make a sound! And do not come out!”. *BANG!*.

Another attempt was made on the front door. Although they had barely gotten into the cellar, William already felt like he was suffocating. It was so cramped and claustrophobic in there. He whispered “Joss, what’s gowing on? Why i-”. Joss stopped William from further pointless breaths, by blocking William’s mouth with his hand.

Vanessa whispered to her husband “Dear… Who’s out there?... Maybe you should fetch a pitchfork or…”. Her husband didn’t seem to listen as he studied the shadows moving outside their window. Then he told his wife “You must hide as well, this door won’t hold for long!”.

Right as he said it, the door sprang open as proof.

The door didn’t become unhinged, but it bounced back from getting slammed open with such power. Both Vanessa and her husband jumped with fright, as three white intruders made their way inside. You would have thought it was moving snow, if not for the said snow slowly shifting and taking on its true colours.

The father exclaimed “So that’s why!? They have the ability to change the colour of their skin!”. Vanessa glared at the hoodlum men who came in on their dinosaurs. They appeared naked, as wearing clothes would ruin their ability to blend into their surroundings.

Within seconds swords were drawn from their hidden scabbards. The door was closed and the house got ransacked. Along with its inhabitants…

William and Joss could see shadows dance between the boards. Everything that happened resounded in the dark hole, enhancing every thud and breath above them. They could hear their father getting bested by the intruders. He was slammed around and punched several times. He ended up on top of the boards that hid the children.

Whether it was on purpose or not, was uncertain.

Joss had a hard time remaining calm, as he felt his father’s life drip down on his forehead and neck... Some rustling noises could be heard a meter or two away. It was from Vanessa who was gasping as she desperately struggled against the victors. She got to let out one bloodcurdling scream, before her lips were sealed and obscene sounds began to fill their house.

With each unpleasant sound of flesh slapping together, it became clearer for William and Joss what was going on…

It made both of them tremble. William could hardly believe it.

He thought: They were only minutes ago, playing outside and now his… Why is this happening!? Wasn’t their father a bonded knight? Why did he get beaten so quickly and did they come just to terrorize his family?..

In the end, were they all going to die…?

18