Chapter 36: What could be saved
759 6 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The apprentice held Vanessa’s wrist in his hand. Trying to find a sign. But the answer he got made him determined to abandon the mother. The father asked with an agitated tone “So!? Will she be able to make it?”. The apprentice shifted his weight while he searched for his sachet.

The father asked again “Is it…?”. The apprentice finally answered “... I have decided to save your children. We’ve already tried to get the babies out naturally. No matter what we do, your wife won’t be saved… But at least I’ll be able to save your children, if I act now… Please move aside”.

Joss couldn’t believe it. His face was filled with wrath as he withheld the delivery master’s arm. Screaming “No! Kill that pair of stupid bandit babies instead! Don’t kill my mother!”.

The father saw the apprentice’s annoyed expression. So he quickly went over to control his son, shouting “Joss. Stop it! It’s too late now”. But Joss didn’t listen and screamed “Don’t kill her! You bastard!”. The father took better hold and forced his son off of the apprentice. 

William felt that all of this was surreal. This apprentice was going to cut up his mother while she was still alive… She was alive right now… So why... 

Vanessa was so tired that voicing out her pain was becoming too much for her. She couldn’t see or hear anything, for her conscious was slipping away. Amidst the bawling of her son, the apprentice uttered “It’s as I thought… There are several internal bleedings. We have to cut her open. Servants! Help me keep her in place”.

The father saw the sharp blade get nearer to his wife. In his desperation he did what he could. He bid his wife farewell with a simple kiss on her forehead and whispered “You did well… I’m proud of you...”.

 

 

****

 

 

A lot happened that night. A wife was put away, awaiting her funeral. Two twins were born motherless, but luckily another woman gave birth that very same night. She was tasked to feed all three infants, while the servant that stayed, helped keeping them calm and clean. 

The father instructed his family members. Taking hold of the chaos, never letting a moment get out of control. To everyone he seemed emotionless and closed off. However in the period he told the others that he went out to get the funeral master, he found himself a nice and quiet place…

Joss stared at the familiar features that were now unmoving and still. Frozen in time. When he ran his hand over the skin, it was ice cold and rigid. What was this thing lying in front of him?.. William felt the same way. This thing before them, seemed strange and frightening.

Behind both of them a calm voice said “I’ve spoken to the funeral master… They’ll let us send her off tomorrow. Until then, don’t get too close to her. Death lingers over her right now and it might feel your touch and seek you out as well… So, don’t touch her too much. Okay?”. Joss listened attentively. Removing his hand slowly, before asking “Why her?.. Couldn’t god have taken that pair of twins instead?”.

The father remained silent. He didn’t blame the kids. He spat “It’s those bandits fault… Your new brother and sister are innocent…”. Then he left.

Seeing that they were now alone again, William commented “Let it go, Joss... Even though it’sh hard not to blame them. In the end it’sh those bandits that ruined everythwing! There ish no need to make even more lives misewable by bullying babies”. Joss grunted, as he still found it hard to forgive said siblings…

Later that night Joss prayed from his bed towards the stars “Please god, in heaven… Send down one of your regal dinosaurs and let it tear apart those evil bastards, to punish them for their wrongdoings… Or at least. Don’t make them hurt anyone else. Please… Stop them”. William stirred a bit. This made Joss realise that his sister was still awake and had heard everything.

This fact made Joss blush from ear to ear in embarrassment. He lamented “Mirabelle! It’s rude to listen in on other’s prayers!”. William snickered before joining Joss as well. Folding his hands in front of his chin, praying “God please listen to Joss… And send down your strongesh and meanesh dinosaur for us! And others who should suffer under those disgusting thieves!”.

Joss felt his heart lighten. When they finished their prayers, Joss flopped down into the quilt. He was surprised to find that his eyes could finally close. It didn’t take long before he was snoring peacefully. Playing somewhere in his own wonderland.

The day of the funeral, Jacqueline accompanied the father and his two children. She herself, dragged along the three infants in a basket, barely big enough for all of them.

They went along the string of land connecting them to the mainland. The air was filled with peace and harmony. Grass swayed gently in the wind and the sun licked their skin. Joss felt itchy in his cornea as loneliness filled his soul. How these surroundings reminded of his mother was uncanny…

The tranquil flow of air that rippled the weeds felt like his mother’s gently caress. The sun roasting his skin, felt like Vanessa’s warm embrace… But she wasn’t there anymore…

William saw how sad Joss was and clapped him a few times on the back. Showing that he was still there. He knew how hurtful it was to lose someone you held close... For William himself had lost his original family and it had taken his entire infancy and more to try and distance those painful memories.

Having Vanessa die, the closest thing he had to a mother in this world, was indeed very painful… Yet somehow everything felt so surreal. He was in another universe, growing up. He knew things about this place that ordinary people didn’t. This omnipotent knowledge helped him distance the cold facts about his current life… But, for how long will this defence hold?

They reached the funeral site. As tradition it was on the mainland, near a man-made stone formation. It was twelve medium boulders, representing the dinosaurs in the solvinian faith. Three huge boulders were placed in the middle. One for Solvi, one for god and one for…?

William tried to lighten the mood and asked “What’s the third bwoulder for in the middle?”. Joss could barely look at William. He took some time before he answered “... It’s… It’s the one that stands for Solvi’s mother…”. William winced and screamed inside himself: Yikes! Landmine! Landmine! Total mess! Fricking bummer! Note to yourself: Never talk during funerals ever again!

While William died inside from his mistake, the body was placed upon a ready made pyre. Bark was ignited and soon crackling noises and smoke came spitting out of the wooden assembly.

The funeral master began reciting a few solvinian verses “What is a mother?.. A mother is someone who invites us to play in god’s marvel. She guides us with a steady hand. Always meaning the best for us. She is unselfish and hardworking… That is how god created her… Our protector in both health and heart... Let us pray that god has seen her worth. That he will let her return to our paradise: The endless plains of Nurgal”.

The flames danced with glee as they ate and returned Vanessa’s body to dust. The warmth from the fire protected her loved ones from feeling the unbearable cold.

It was a beautiful and simple funeral. That was suddenly interrupted by sharp sounds of music!?

21