Chapter 65: No Game no life
31 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CG Chapter 65: No Game no life

 

People in power needed to have an eye for talent; without it, their organizations would naturally decay with no one from the new generation to carry it.

 

The pope, as someone in such a position, knew that the church needed people with high charisma to convert more believers to their faith. So, once he heard and saw Tom’s eloquence, he recognized the necessity of acquiring Tom’s talent for his own church before anyone else could.

 

“I am not a member of any church, and as you might have expected, I came here like many others to expand my knowledge. They say that the wisest men are in Eidein, and from what I have seen, I can confidently say that they were correct.” Tom had considered lying and saying that he was from Eidein or at least Sollaria to gain the trust of the pope, but he knew that this would only ruin his plans if the pope ever found out.

 

The pope initially wore a disappointed expression, but it quickly changed to a smile.

 

“Well, it matters not where you are from. We accept people from every corner of the continent. If you wish to join, that is.”

 

The origins of Tom weren't enough for the pope to dismiss him.

 

Despite the pope's innocent expression, beneath it lay a man who was able to crown himself king within one of the seven churches of the continent. He had fought through political intrigues and battles, finally making his way to the top.

 

At that moment, Tom had two choices: one was to join the church and gain the trust of the pope, slowly making his way to the top to attain knowledge inaccessible to most people. The other option was to refuse the offer and remain free but forfeit the chance to discover the secrets of the church.

 

Considering these choices, Tom decided to forge a third path for himself, one where he could enjoy the benefits of joining the church without compromising his freedom.

 

“I would be honored to serve the goddess with all I have, but I am afraid that I can’t stay in one place for a long time. My heart seeks to attain and spread the holy word of the goddess. I would understand your disappointment; however, I wish to do my part in my own way.” Tom, of course, wasn’t willing to stay in the church and actually serve the so-called goddess; he only wanted to know the secret behind the statue and use it if he could.

 

The pope stayed silent while looking at the statue of the goddess. With his silence, the whole church felt cold since no one dared to speak or even move.

 

“So be it. I am sure that this is the will of the goddess. If she wanted you to stay here, then she would command it to be. I am willing to appoint you as an honorary priest of the Church of Lumina myself, to spread her light and eternal knowledge to all corners of the world.”

 

The pope’s decision wasn’t driven by love or kindness towards Tom but rather by something much simpler: the church lacked capable people. Between the seven churches and seven kingdoms, there was intense competition for power and people.

 

“I shall join the church from today and serve the goddess until eternity,” Tom swore, his words coming as if they were those of a saint sent by Lumina herself to help her helpless believers.

 

With this step, Tom would put himself against an unknown entity far more powerful than himself, entering a game involving entities from a higher realm.

 

Internally, Tom thought, ‘I’m already playing a game much larger than myself; what would adding a couple more people change?’ He had a grin that was hard to see, and no one knew what his real plan was until now.

 

Hearing Tom’s words, the pope began to laugh. “Good, from now on you are a part of us. You will follow me and learn how to become a good priest.”

 

Clap-Clap

 

The tension in the church dispersed as if it were never there, and the people started to clap in happiness. A new priest had just emerged from the central church.

 

While Tom was immersed in his own schemes, there was a man who was undergoing hellish training.

 

 

Within the territory of Flameheart, Alfred's determination knew no bounds as he tirelessly honed his skills day and night.

 

His burning desire to serve his lord, coupled with an undying drive to prove himself, fueled him to swing his sword.

 

“Three thousand five hundred twenty-three.”

 

“Three thousand five hundred twenty-four.”

 

He was drenched in sweat, and his hands became calloused from wielding the sword.

 

Due to his training, his strength was advancing like a rocket, faster than even Tom's. However, such speeds came at a cost that he wasn’t aware of.

 

“Wait for me, master. I am going to become useful to you.” He screamed as he swung his sword once more.

1