Chapter 53: Violets are blue
33 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CG Chapter 53: Violets are blue

 

Tom moved with the wind, utilizing his full force to reach the castle as quickly as possible. He knew that if he didn't make an appearance soon, once they found Violet's corpse and noticed that he wasn't in the castle, he would become a prime suspect; after all, their grievances weren't a secret.

 

While they might not think he was the killer due to his insufficient strength, the reputation he worked so hard to build could be used against him.

 

Before the Voyage, they wouldn't have thought he had what it took to do it, but after being the sole survivor, the idea of him being the mastermind who paid the bandit group for the job became plausible.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

Within the castle of Flameheart, Alfred did his part faithfully; going through his daily tasks, he opened the door of Tom's room only to notice the familiar figure of a man sitting on the large bed.

 

"Ah-" Just when he was about to scream in surprise, Alfred was able to hold his mouth as he began to whisper, "Master, how did you get here?"

 

"No, that doesn't matter. Are you okay?"

 

"What about the *cough* plan?" Alfred asked,

 

"Everything went well; now I just need to wait a while before the news of her death reaches the ears of the Baron. Once the news spreads, my little brother won't have the strong ground that supported him thus far. We will then watch from the sidelines as he crumbles, losing one of the most important pillars of his strength."

 

Tom chuckled before continuing, "Despite Violet being a spoiled brat, she somehow managed to die for her child."

 

He had just removed one of the obstacles that stood in his way to take over this castle.

 

However, the problem lay in that the core of Flameheart, Folek, would stand in his way.

 

He knew he didn't have enough strength just yet to get rid of him. Even if he could, he doubted if that was the best course of action since killing him would mean losing a valuable meat shield that he could use as the front of his future plans. 

 

His only choice was winning Folek over, but before that, he planned on going out of the castle on a trip once the ruckus from the death of Violet settled down.

 

.

 

The days came and went, and the news of Violet's death finally reached the castle. 

 

The castle was chaotic as the maids and soldiers feared what might come next. 

 

*Knock-Knock*

 

Master, may I come in?" Ambrose asked. Once he heard the news, he wanted to deliver it personally. He knew that despite his unruly behavior, Timothy deeply loved Violet; her death could very well break him.

 

"Come in," Timothy replied joyfully; the thought of the reinforcements arriving together with his mother filled him with joy, and he felt that he could finally take down Tom.

 

"I, master, you might want to sit down," Ambrose's head turned between Timothy and the ground. He wasn't sure how he would deliver the news.

 

"What? Why are you acting so weird? What's going on?" Timothy shook Ambrose, and his smile began to fade; he felt a nudge in his heart.

 

Seeing Timothy's reaction, Ambrose thought that it might be easier if he removed the bandaid quickly. "A team of hunters found Lady Violet's dead body alongside her crew. We discovered that the carriage was emptied of all valuables," Ambrose hesitated, debating whether to go into details.

 

Still, his loyalty won over, and he didn't dare to hide anything. "Those beasts went so far as to steal the silk clothes from the lady. Our best guess is that it was the work of a bandit group coming from the mountains, as they would be the only ones stupid enough to attack the carriage of Flameheart."

 

"You are joking, right? Ambrose, it's not funny."

 

"Ambrose," Timothy screamed, "Tell me that you are joking; quickly, I would forgive you if you did."

 

"I am sorry," was the only reply that came out of Ambrose.

 

"No, no, no." Timothy's once proud face became pitiful, "This is not funny; how could they, how dare they, why-." He questioned his words, becoming more and more unhinged.

 

Ambrose moved to Timothy's side to hold him, but Timothy slapped him away.

 

"Don't touch me." Timothy felt fear; the person he relied on had just died, "I don't believe you."

 

For the first time in his life, Ambrose disobeyed Timothy's orders; he held him in his arms, and he didn't care about the continuous punches he was receiving as he wanted to comfort Timothy at all costs.

 

"You must stand strong; you will carry her will within you," Ambrose spoke, pointing to Timothy's heart.

 

Timothy felt his body becoming heavy, and the only thing he could say was, "I am afraid, Ambrose."

 

On the side of Tom,

 

"Alfred, do you think I am an evil person for killing them?" Tom held his hand behind his back as he asked.

 

"No, she was going to kill you if you didn't kill her. And for me, if her death means that you would stay alive, then I would gladly do it myself." Alfred replied with resolve.

 

"What if I killed her for benefit? Would you think of me as an evil person then?"

 

"I," Alfred hesitated.

 

"Evil, good are terms that have been used by the weak to make up for their own weakness. In the end, there is no good, no evil, just those who live in the high castle and those who sweep the floor below."

 

"You know, even the heavens have no concept of good or evil; they simply chase progress."

 

"A wise man once said, Heaven and earth are ruthless and treat the myriad creatures as straw dogs; the sage is ruthless and treats the people as straw dogs. Life is fair in that it's uncaring for all, yet it's unfair that it's uncaring for any."

 

"I want what I want; many think that to reach the peak, they must become fair to defy heaven, but I think if you let the will of heaven dictate your actions, then what are you but a puppet to the very thing you tried to go against."

2