200. I Need Some Down Time
47 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Drake woke in a bed rather than on hard ground, he knew they’d won the battle. The kromians, if they’d made it into the silverwood’s clearing and stabbed everyone to death with spears, wouldn’t have given him a bed. Unless this was the afterlife?

No. This was still his current life. This was his huge fluffy bed, the nice big one in his chamber with the four posts and the veil over the top of it. As he smacked his dry lips, he realized he was ludicrously thirsty. Killing kromians made him thirsty.

As he attempted to roll onto his side, the bed creaked. He blinked as he realized someone else was sitting on the side of his bed, but he relaxed when he recognized her and her soft blue outline. This time, he was alert enough not to get confused by exhaustion and dark.

“What are you doing out of the infirmary?” Drake rasped.

Lydia stood and turned to face him. “In the aftermath of the invasion, many matters needed tending. The fog rose this morning and eliminated the remaining kromians. The silverwood is safe.”

“Sweet.”

“It is almost noon on the day after the battle. How are you feeling?”

“Thirsty.” He glanced past Lydia to find another blue outline standing outside his room. It might be Olivia. She was ever watchful.

“There’s cool water on the dresser,” Lydia said. “I’ll pour you some.”

“You don’t need to...” Drake winced as he tried to sit up, then eased back down again. “Okay, that stings. Shoulder’s still a little sore. I’ll take water, thank you.”

Drake’s shoulder, ribs, and muscles felt like he’d gone multiple rounds with a heavyweight boxer, which, from his time in the gym back on Earth, he’d experienced. Still, last night... if it had been just last night... he’d been filled with so much adrenaline he might not have noticed how hard he was pushing himself. He’d taken bruising, arrows, poison, and an icicle. Without his feathersteel armor, he likely would have died many times over.

Lydia leaned across the bed and handed him a simple wooden mug filled with cool, clear water. He wasn’t quite ready for mead, even though he knew it was safer than water. Still, he also knew Lydia would not let him drink anything that might harm him.

Drake gingerly sat up and put his aching back against the bed frame. He drank deep, not rushing it and breathing between sips. This water, however, tasted like it had come straight from a mountain spring. It was really good.

He should emulate Samuel’s regrowth rarity again. That would fix these aches and pains. Still, he had bigger concerns at the moment. He set the mug on the bed and looked at Lydia.

“Can you give me a casualty report?”

She sat down on the side of his bed and twisted her upper body so she could face him, leaving herself in profile. Her dark hair coursed down her back, and Drake was more than a bit distracted before he remembered he’d asked her a question. He should pay attention.

“Darion managed to stitch Val’s arm back together, but we’re doubtful she’ll regain full use of it. However, we do believe Robin’s shoulder will recover in a few weeks. There was enough bone left Raylan believes he can regenerate it with constant treatment.”

“Please tell me that’s all there was.”

“I wish I could, lord. We lost two zarovians in the battle for the clearing, Horag and Ketesh. Katar was wounded as well, and while we expect him to recover, he lost most of his leg. Even with Raylan’s rarity, it will be months before he walks again.”

That was horrible, but also not so bad. As rough as it always was to lose people, so far, they’d lost drastically less than he feared. The advantage of the silverwood, the dark, and his people’s overpowered rarities had proven frightfully effective against a simple mundane army.

“How’d Kel’s pack do?”

“One feral fell during the delaying action to slow the column.”

“Sidori?” Drake dreaded the answer.

“No. I do not know the name of the feral who fell, but it was not her. The Silent Pack has made their own arrangements. They suffered no other casualties.”

“And Sachi?”

“She continues to recover in the infirmary. We intend to keep her there this time.”

“What about the rest of the manor?”

“We had a number of minor injuries during the battle, scrapes and bruises and cuts, but Darion and Raylan tended to those. The burnish potion assisted greatly. Thanks to their brave efforts, we lost no one save those I’ve already called out.”

That was a massive relief. It would also make a great recruitment tool. His small personal army, defending its living forest, had slaughtered a kromian army with hardly any casualties. His zarovians always seemed to take the brunt of the losses, which was understandable given they fought on the front line. It wasn’t fair to always throw them into the meat grinder first.

He’d talk to Cresh about how they could revise their tactics. Based on his successes last night, it made more sense to soften up the enemy from afar as the silverwood ensnared them and then, when the stragglers arrived, let the zarovians play defense. They might not always have that option, but when they did, Drake was going to take it.

Also, Olivia was ludicrously OP. He was going to give her free reign to go all napalm death on any army that threatened his people. He needed to buy more burnish potions.

“Have the fallen zarovians been put on pyres yet?” Drake asked.

“Cresh decided to wait until this evening.”

“We should join them. I would strongly suggest everyone attend and honor the fallen. We don’t do enough of that, especially with our zarovians.”

“I will ensure your suggestion is passed throughout the manor,” Lydia agreed. “I do not believe you will be disappointed with the turnout.”

“Did I return your dagger? I didn’t lose it, did I?”

Lydia’s cheeks flushed as she looked away. “I took it back when I removed your boots. Thank you for bringing it back to me.”

“It got a little wet during the battle. Seawater. You may want to clean or polish it.”

“Of course, lord.”

“So... was all that last night really about the dagger?”

Lydia’s gaze snapped back to his. “How do you mean?”

“I mean... it’s not like I needed a dagger to protect myself.” Drake worked to keep the smile from his face. “It is your most precious possession, right?”

Her expression went almost eerily flat. “Yes.”

Drake decided to barrel on ahead the way he always did. Recklessly.

“So I’m just going to say this, and then apologize if I’m out of line. Somewhere between the frantic battle, the mass murder, and almost getting my head blown off by an icicle, I realized something I’ve unconsciously known for a while now. I like you, like you.”

“Oh,” Lydia said.

“I sound like a stupid kid.” Drake rubbed the back of his head in annoyance. “Sorry. Anyway, we need to talk about this, especially since I’m still your manor lord and you serve me. It’s not appropriate for me to—”

“I like you too,” Lydia blurted out.

Drake grinned at her now positively crimson cheeks. “That is fantastic.” He sipped the last of his water, then set down his mug. “So, what do we do with that?”

Lydia watched him more than curiously. “How do you mean?”

“I’m not Lord Blackmane. I like you, you like me, but if we start to date and fool around, people are going to figure it out. That’s going to cause all sorts of problems. For example, if there’s a disagreement between you and another person, and I side with you, people will assume it’s because we’re dating. They won’t see me as impartial.”

“That is true.”

“And there’s battle as well. I know Val and Nicole keep their relationship low key, but they’re both battle maids. Neither is in each other’s chain of command. By comparison, if I have to choose who to send on a dangerous mission, and I send someone else—”

“It could be seen as you protecting and favoring me,” Lydia agreed. “You have spent some time thinking about this, haven’t you?”

“A bit too much.” He winced. “Especially since I’m in charge of everyone in the manor.”

A coy smile replaced Lydia’s earlier consternation.  “You still think Emily is beautiful?”

Drake stared at her. “You were listening to all that?”

“I may have been awake a bit longer than I let on. I was still trying to decide how to speak to you about your mother, and I wasn’t sure when to intervene.”

“So you just let her bully me like that?”

“You had no problem handling yourself.”

“Well, just to be clear here, I think you’re beautiful too. I’ve thought you were gorgeous from the moment I met you, but we’d just met, I was your boss, and that’s not why I—”

“I know.” She gripped his hand. “From the moment you agreed to lead this manor, I felt we would work well together. I never expected anything else, and our circumstances gave me very little time to think. I must always think about the manor first.”

“Which you were right to do.” Just this touch felt amazing.

“It never occurred to me that there could be anything else between us until much later, and I share many of the reservations you’ve raised. Until you revealed your feelings, I had no plans to reveal mine due to the difficulties it might cause. Lord Skybreak is—”

“Really great,” Drake interrupted. “We’ve grown close. She’s a good friend, a good person, and a hell of an ally, but I’d rather date you.”

“Even so, Lord Skybreak is a manor lord,” Lydia reminded him. “She remains a suitable marriage prospect. That is another of many reasons I kept what feelings I developed to myself.”

“So when did you know?” Drake asked. “If you want to tell me?”

She squeezed his hand before she disengaged. “I first noticed something was... there... as I educated you on our realm while we journeyed to the capital. I dismissed it as a flight of fancy brought on by our constant proximity and the tumultuous circumstances.”

“There was a lot was going on.”

“When that assassin... Suck... attacked us on the road, and I realized just how dangerous he was, I also realized I would not be well if I lost you. As matters turned worse in Korhaurbauten, I grew more certain of my feelings toward you. More than loyalty.”

“Me too,” Drake said eagerly. “I think that’s when I started noticing too, though I didn’t want to think about it since it wouldn’t be appropriate to date my steward.”

Lydia nodded. “By the time Westin fooled the Judge into calling for your execution, I was certain of how I felt about you, romantically. I would have acted to save you regardless, but my feelings for you made my need to save you more urgent.”

“And you did save me. Again.”

“I had to try my best to save you if I wanted to avoid regrets.”

“So how hard did you have to push Samuel before he gave into your mad plan?”

“He was easy to convince.” Lydia frowned thoughtfully. “I worry you misjudge his feelings about you. He believes it necessary to remain aloof so his council is not questioned, but he has become quite fond of you. He certainly respects your leadership.”

“Weird. I don’t get that from him at all.”

“Everyone who is part of this manor thinks highly of you, lord. Some talk of this to me, and some talk to others, but eventually, I’m informed of all of it. The way you lead us and care for us has not gone unnoticed or appreciated. You are appreciated.”

“Well... that’s good to hear. Because I think there’s more big changes coming soon.”

Lydia’s brow furrowed. “What changes?”

He peered at her a moment. “You don’t feel any different?”

“Different how?”

Drake didn’t want to deceive her about anything, especially now that he knew how they both felt about each other, but he also knew that once she knew he’d intentionally shattered the blood pacts, she couldn’t lie about it... and the capital would be arriving soon. They’d have lots of questions, and they would be asking everyone for full accounts of the battle.

“I just got this weird feeling shortly before I fought Prince Varnath. Like something changed down there. It felt like something changed inside me, and up here as well.”

Lydia scooted across the bed to sit close. “An injury?”

“No, I don’t think so. Maybe it was just the stress of the battle. Just tell me if you notice anyone in the manor acting unusual, or if anyone feels like anything has changed.”

“I will make inquiries.”

She was sitting really close now. Olivia’s outline remained outside the door, standing guard, but she was facing away from them. Drake considered his options.

“So how’s this? What if we co-manor lorded?”

Lydia blinked. “What?”

“What if you stepped up to my level? You’re basically there already. You already make as many decisions about how we should lead this place as I do, and if I’m being honest with myself, probably a lot more. You do so much behind the scenes I never see.”

“That is my role as your steward. You command the manor.”

“I agree there’s not a precedent. But after the last few months...” He considered. “It’s been non-stop sprinting. First avoiding all the attempts to kill me, then all my worries about all of you getting killed, and then... Mom...”

Her expression softened. “You would like a moment to recover from all this?”

“Yes. I need some down time. So that would be the perfect opportunity for you to step up and act as Lord Gloomwood, or... Lady Gloomwood? I don’t care what titles we use, but that arrangement would confuse me less. We’d make manor lord decisions together.”

“That would leave us without a steward.”

“Valentia could take over. Or...”

“Valentia is the only maid capable of performing my duties,” Lydia said calmly. “However, she has made it clear she does not wish to become a steward.”

“So what about River, then? What if you accelerated her training?”

“If I were to take the time to educate and tutor her, I believe she could serve in my role, but only if the other battle maids agreed. The decision would need to be unanimous. But even then, I could not marry you.”

Drake’s eyes went wide. “Now slow down. I’m suggesting we date, that’s all!”

Lydia smiled warmly. “Regardless of what arrangement we choose... even if we were to, as you put it, co-manor lord... your status as an unmarried lord is important to our success in negotiating with other manors. Even if you have no current plans to marry another lord, you should remain available to do so. Merging blood pacts has powerful appeal.”

Except blood pacts didn’t exist any longer. He just couldn’t tell her that. “But I don’t want to marry some other lord. Why would I even need to?”

“There is no reason we cannot maintain your eligibility for marriage and still explore our feelings.” She shrugged. “I will simply become your concubine.”

Drake stared in alarm. “That doesn’t sound great at all!”

Lydia now appeared truly confused. “Why would that not be acceptable?”

“It just... it wouldn’t be. Besides, I’m almost certain that places you lower than me in the manor, which you are not. So far as I’m concerned, you’re my equal here.”

“Yet if I were to become your concubine, to warm your bed would be expected of me. There would be no question about your impartiality in commanding the others because my role would be official. I could still privately serve as your advisor.”

“This conversation is getting weird,” Drake warned. “So... how about this? How we feel is out in the open now, which was the hardest part. So let’s chill on figuring out your new role in the manor until the dust has settled on the invasion. We both need time to think about this.”

Lydia visibly hesitated, then nodded. “That does seem wise.”

“Great. Cool. That’s the plan, then.”

“So should I—”

Drake pulled her close and kissed her. She went stiff as he did so, but only for a moment. She then slipped her arms around him and melted against him, and that definitely felt right. She was absolutely kissing him back.

Drake eventually eased them apart. “Okay, that was fucking hot.”

Lydia’s soft laugh was beautiful. “You are so strange.”

“I’m from another world, remember? It’s weird there.”

She kissed him again. Her approach was gentler than his, but no less intense. It was nice. Finally, they eased apart.

“Okay.” Drake’s heart pounded. “Kissing works. But we should probably take it easy until we figure out the rest. So... back to business for now?”

Lydia traced two fingers down his cheek, a gesture that gave him tingles. “I think that might be best.” Her smile grew as she sat back. “But we will revisit this, lord. Once we have found an arrangement that suits us both, I would like to revisit this. In detail.”

“Great,” Drake said. “But if we start dating, you’re going to stop calling me lord.”

Author's Note: I swear this chapter landed on Valentine's Day randomly, which is kind of cool.

4