Chapter 11 – Unwanted partnership
1.5k 13 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Exterminating bandits won the previous poll with 'finding missing person' in second place and 'heroes escort' at third.

Out of all the requests, Tryx decided to choose 'Exterminating bandits'. 

The description on the paper points out the details regarding these bastards:

The bandit group 'Dragon Fist' has been waging violence near the border of Kingdom of Fecta. Those who manage to locate these barbarians shall receive 500 Munis. Bring a proof of their demise to ensure that the Kingdom's army could clarify your claims. Bring back peace at the border of the kingdom!

Wanted for:
Burglary
Banditry
Pillage
 Murder
Illegal trade
Kidnapping
ETC.

Present this paper at the counter to accept the quest. 
Requested by: 29th Lancer Battalion, 18th Corps, Grand Army of Fecta Kingdom

After reading the description, he came up with a thought.

"What a better way to gain some points!" After all, who knows how many bandits are they? More kills, more points! Eh, they're bandits anyway. Not that they deserve any mercy! Those were your initial thought. 

Though, talking about killing... This task is probably hard.

He doesn't have any intel on the size of the bandits themselves. They might be 100 man strong or even more than that or maybe they are less than 50 but who knows? Either way, he has to make use of whatever he have unlocked right now. The confrontation with orcs ended with him running away from the battlefield. He can only hoped that he's well prepared compared to last time. 

As Tryx beginning to think a lot, the paper was plucked away from the board bringing him back to reality. 

"Excuse me, I was gonna take... that..." Tryx turned towards the perpetrator. It was a girl, she was wearing a dark red robe with hoodie covering over her head and  she wears a short red skirt behind the opening of the robe. She stopped for a moment and glared at him. A pair of purple eyes are glaring at him and there are dark bags under her eyes. Her glare was enough to scare the shit out of him. "Damn, she's like one of those Zith1Parody of Sith from Star Wars guys!" he thought. 

After a long stare, she looked away from him and said, "Pathetic." 

"Hey, what did you just said?!" Tryx questioned her, slightly raising his tone. 

"I said... You are a pathetic being." the mysterious girl replied. 

Damn, this girl got some guts. 

"Oh wow, thanks for telling me that." The girl then proceeds to walk, ignoring him as if he doesn't exist. Got damn, this girl have started to tick him off. "Hey! I'm not done yet!" Tryx quickly blocked her again before she could reach the reception counter. "What are you thinking you're doing with that quest?" 

"Isn't it obvious for a newbie like you? I'm taking this job." 

"Well, that's the thing... I had my eyes on that quest earlier than you are." 

"Yet, you have not taken it." she replied monotonously. 

"I... I w- was reading it." He lied because he was busy planning something at that time. "Anyways, just let me take that..."

"NO." she denied like a true Zith Lord. "You had your chance." With that, she continues walking towards the counter. 

Tryx already set his eyes on that request, now is not the time to give up! He quickly ran up to her and grabbed her shoulder. 

"Listen here, miss... I..." Suddenly, she punched his lower abdomen. "OOF!" With all of her strength, her fist threw the reincarnated gamer all the way back to the request board. He flew 5 meters away from the spot. 

Everyone who was present at the scene simply groaned and laughed seeing him getting decked by the Zith girl. They were actually enjoying the scene. 

Tryx could feel the pain surging through his entire body. He tried to regain breathing tempo but his lungs felt to heavy. Not to mention, the impact he gain from the punch was REALLY strong. Its like he just got punched by a Hulk instead of a typical anime girl... Wait, anime girls have that strength too!

"Ughhh..." Tryx grunted as he tried to stand but it was useless. He could feel the pain starting to go away, it was probably the 'auto healing' perk but it was slow. Does this mean that her punch was deadly?! As he was trying to focus again, Tryx could see her standing before you. "Woah... Woah! We can talk about this!" he held your hands in the air in fear waiting for her next punch. 

She glared at Tryx for a second and then, she reaches out her hand onto the request board and ripped out one of the papers. 

The mysterious girl scanned at the paper for a few seconds and walked away back towards the counter. Once again, she treats his existence like nothing. 

She then reaches the counter and handed the two papers onto the same counter that he had just registered earlier.

"Still harsh on newbies eh, Seele?" the man in mid-30 laughed.

"It doesn't matter Raymond. If anyone gets in my way, they die." the girl named Seele replied coldly. She barely shows any emotion. 

The receptionist named Raymond shrugged, "Well, if you say so..." he then inspects the requests. "Huh, two quest this time?" the girl doesn't said a single word. "OK... I'll grant it." As Raymond grabs the stamp, he quickly ran towards the counter. 

"WAIT!" Tryx yelled and the two looked at him as he wobbly stands nearby the counter. The pain is still stinging his lower body, just how long is the auto healing is trying to fix you?! "I want that bandit extermination quest!" he said while gasping for air. 

Seele clicked her tongue, "Just give it up already."

"No way, you can't take two quests at the same time!" Tryx yelled back. 

"Actually, she can." Raymond explained. 

"What? Why?" he inquired. How can she can accept two requests at the same time?! This guy didn't even inform him at all!

Raymond crossed his arms and begins explaining, "You see sir, Seele here is a B-rank mercenary. She can take 3 quests at the same time on her level. Anyone with C-rank and above can take multiple quests with each upper ranks have quest limit restrictions." 

"You didn't inform me any of this."

"Of course I didn't, I can only inform you once you reached rank C. But since you have already know, it seems that I don't need to brief you in the future!" Raymond laughed. To Tryx this isn't funny at all. 

The gamer sighed deeply, putting aside the ranks and all, it doesn't matter anymore. "Look, I don't care if she can take hundreds of quests but she can't steal my quest!"

"Give it up, you couldn't even survive my punch." 

"Oh wow, you mean that gorilla punch earlier just now? Really, that doesn't fit a girl at your size. I wonder if you're actually a gorilla in disguise." 

She clenched her fist, tightened every bits of muscle in her hand. She narrowed her eyes as she glares at you full of hatred. It seemed that he just flipped her switch. 

"Look who is talking, I don't want to listen from a man who does not have a single weapon with him. You even have a feeble and scrawny body and you wouldn't be able to survive in the battlefield as a mercenary. So I suggest you go home and be a farmer." 

Tryx laughed at her words, scrawny? Feeble? Excuse you! In his previous life, he at the very least did some healthy exercise unlike most of the gamers out there who live their most of live in a basement of their mother's house and sniffing some Doritos and Mountain Dews! Sure his body is small but that doesn't mean its weak! And weapons? Really girl? Its there, right at his glorious thighs. 

"Young ones!" Raymond snapped at both of them. "May I suggest a proper solution?" he held two letters in both of his hand, one for Tryx and the other for Seele. 

Both of them read the contents of the letter. The letter contains an oath that he will perform his duties and swore to tell all the truth regarding his actions in this missions. At the bottom of the letter there is a stamp with mercenary guild's emblem on it. As he read the final line he noticed the word 'party' in which the line says that he will be fair and assist your partner under any circumstances. Tryx was confused as he doesn't have a party at all. 

"Uh, excuse me... I don't have party. What does this line means?" he showed the letter towards Raymond.

Raymond made a fake cough and straightened his back, "I decided to put both of you in a single party."

Suddenly, silence filled the atmosphere. Both of them were speechless. Seele was the first to break the silence. 

"IS THIS A JOKE?" Seele's word was enough to shiver down Tryx's spine. Her cold voice was enough to tell that she was pissed. 

"No, it is not a joke, Seele. In fact, this is the best solution." Raymond maintained his composure. 

"Why? I can do this job without this fool!" There she goes again. 

"You wanted the A-rank promotion, aren't you? In fact, one of the conditions laid by the guild was that you have assist a newbie on his first day." 

"Then give me Someone! Anyone but him!" 

"Sadly, I would but most of them has their own party. I have reminded you last week but you rejected all of them. You are the only one who have not fulfill the condition yet, I thought this is a nice change of pace for you as well." Raymond's words left Seele speechless. She was out of words to rebuke. "I know what you're thinking, you probably wanted to cancel this quest. But if you do, all of your rewards will be given to him including your second quest. Whether you like it or not, this is the best solution." 

Tryx watched Seele grit her teeth in anger, she crushed the permit in her hands as rage fills her mind. He was worried that she might start rampaging and kill everyone in this room just like what Anikin did to do the younglings. She then snaps her sight to the gamer causing a little flinch as soonest he met her glowing purple yes. She glared for a long time before leaving the premise.

"I'm sorry about that." Raymond apologized. 

"No its not your fault. What's her problem anyway?" 

Raymond's expression changed, he now bears a solemn look as if he felt regret for something. 

"That girl, Seele, she has been through a lot in her life. She doesn't trust anyone and prefers to work alone. That's why I assigned you to form a party with her. She was keen on getting the A-rank lately but she refuse to work with newbie. You looked like a nice person, Tryx. I hope you can do something for her." 

Is this a favor? Because its sounds like a favor.

Tryx exhaled and scratched his head, "Yeah, I'll see what I can do..." whether he like or not, that Zith girl is now his partner. If she's willing to cooperate that is.

"Thank you. Regarding your work, you can start working tomorrow... Please meet the lancer battalion commander at the gate at 12 o'clock. He will tell you everything you need to know about that bandit group." 

"Understood. Will Seele be there as well?" 

"Knowing her for a long time, I don't think she would." Raymond made a wry smile. Perhaps this man knows her too well. "But, I'll see what I can try." 

"Anyways, thank you for today's orientation. I'll take my leave then." 

"Also, Mr. Tryx..." he stopped and looked at Raymond. "Please take care of her." 

Tryx smiled and said, "Yes, I will." 

And so, he left the guild heading back towards the inn. 

 Also, please vote on when you should attack the bandits. Wanna challenge myself here. Haven't written combat scene for a while.

 

Attack the bandits during...
  • Day Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Night Votes: 12 75.0%
Total voters: 16 · This poll was closed on Jan 5, 2020 11:23 AM.
27