12. Compensation
23 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You need to rob someone and the amount cannot be less than 1000 dollars," Huey repeated when Hunter did not speak for a long time.

"Are you kidding me?" Hunter exclaimed when reality finally hit him. "This was not what I had expected when you told me that you would make me the supreme hitman in the world. How did it turn from killing people to robbing people?" He complained, not at all liking where this was going.

"This is your first mission. Only if you complete it will you be eligible to enter the line for the supreme hitman." Huey stated, her tone not changing even once.

"Wait a minute." Hunter stopped when a notion popped up in his mind. "Does that mean there are other people too with the same system?"

"I will not answer that because I do not know about it. All I know is that you will be competing with the others you may or may not be familiar with to become the supreme hitman in the world." Huey hesitated and Hunter raised his brows in wonder.

"Is something the matter, Huey? What's wrong?"

"It's nothing significant. I'll tell you when the time is right."

Although Hunter wanted to probe further, he stopped himself in time and shook his head. "What if I refuse to take up a mission? What will happen then?"

"That's simple. You'll have to compensate us if you do not wish to take up the mission." Huey replied, her excited voice sending alarms ringing in Hunter's mind. He started to have an ominous feeling suddenly and he pursed his lips.

"What compensation?"

"It depends on the severity of the mission. For example, you may lose some money you earned or any reward which you won previously after completing a mission. And worse comes worst, you might even lose someone close to you."

Hunter barely had time to digest the news about the compensation when Huey's words came down as a thunderstorm.

"What did you just say?" He asked in disbelief and dropped his towel. "Did you just say that I might lose people I am close to if I refuse to complete the mission assigned to me?"

"Although the chances of it happening are rare, there is a possibility. I am warning you right now." Huey explained, her voice turning gentle and understanding. "It all depends on the severity of the mission. You do not have to worry about it now."

"What do you mean, Huey?" Hunter almost bellowed in shock. "Do you think I will risk the lives of the people I am close to just to complete the mission you give me? You must be dreaming."

"Relax, Hunter. As I said, it depends on the mission. You do not have to worry about it now."

"I don't care. Get this system out of me. I don't want it." Hunter cursed and Huey let out a sigh.

"Are you sure you want to do that? The system is bound to you."

"So what?" He roared. "I will not be putting my people's lives at risk for something I can achieve alone."

"Oh, really? Are you sure about that?" Huey was annoyed and Hunter realized it. But he was too furious to give a damn about it.

"Yes, I am. I managed well in my previous life and can do it again."

"Yeah, I know how well you managed. You died during your mission and you don't even know who the mastermind behind your death was." Huey spat and for a moment, Hunter did not have any comeback for it. Even if he knew it was Ryan, he did not have evidence for it.

"And let me clear this before you lose your head completely. This system is bound to you. If you want it to leave, you will only lose your life as compensation. Do you want to go ahead?"

Huey stated, her annoyance vanishing immediately and Hunter was dumbstruck. Never had he imagined that the system was bound to his life and he could not separate himself from it. It was a bolt out of the blue for him and took him a long time to recover from terror.

"I would suggest you tread well, Hunter. I do not want you to lose your life." Huey continued when she did not get any reaction from him for a long time.

"There are some things you do not know and some things I want to tell you. But it is not the right time and until the time is right, I cannot reveal anything. Please understand." She pleaded and sighed in frustration.

"This might be a lot for you to take in. But please make your decision as quickly as possible."

"Fuck!" Hunter cussed and gnashed his teeth, unable to believe his predicament.

Although Hunter did not want to follow the system's orders, he was helpless. Either he listened to it or he ended his life and Hunter knew what to choose.

"You left me with no choice, Huey. I will have to do as you say." He relented.

"Good choice." Huey cheered and Hunter rolled his eyes in dismay.

"Did I even have one in the first place?"

"No, you didn't." She cleared her throat in awkwardness. "Anyway, you know what your first mission is and you will have to complete it in three days' time."

"Okay, what if I do not do as you say?" Hunter queried, waiting to see what compensation Huey would demand.

"Then, you will have to give up one-third of your savings." She stated as though she was talking about the weather.

Hunter hurled profanities at her silently, not at all liking where this was going.

"Language, Mister." Huey scolded and Hunter huffed in response.

One-third of his savings was not a small amount and Hunter did not have the heart to part with it. "Fine. What will be my reward then?"

"Atta boy. If you complete your mission on time, you will get ten times the amount you have robbed as your reward. By the end of the mission, you will have 11000 dollars in your account."

1