17. Familiar face
14 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hunter stared at the outstanding balance on his bank account and his lips arched up in joy. In just one day, he had gained 11000 dollars and was yet to get the 10000 dollars from the client after the split with Naomi and the association.

Naomi had done a good job by anonymously alerting the media and informing the police about the drug dealer's death. By the time he returned home, the news had spread like wildfire. With the media reporting the death, the corrupt officials could not push the matter under the rug and save the other men involved in the racket. Hunter's one kill and Naomi's one action had pushed all the drug dealers to the limelight and the hitman responsible for it smiled in satisfaction.

Hunter stared emotionlessly at the man's picture, who he had killed some time ago.

'The police claim it to be an internal strife and someone who wanted Johnny's position killed him when he was asleep.' The reporter stated and Hunter let out a laugh in amusement.

'Johnny does not even know who killed him and these poor bastards.' He sighed and shook his head. 'They have no idea who sent them to jail again. I wonder what they did after they were released in my previous life.'

Although curious, Hunter did not dwell much on it and continued sipping his beer. Anyway, those men were not a threat to him.

"Congratulations, host, for completing your first mission. You are now in the race to become the Supreme Hitman."

Hunter heard the robotic voice and he sat up straight immediately. "What's happening, Huey?"

"I am going to assign you your next mission," Huey answered and Hunter leaned back, his eyes flashing with interest.

"Your mission is to kill Chad Murray," Huey explained and immediately after, Chad's picture appeared before Hunter, who stared at the man in confusion.

The man looked to be in his fifties, and from his face, all he could find was innocence and liveliness. Chad seemed to be a typical happy man with a lovely family and Hunter could not fathom why the system wanted him dead.

"That is not something you should worry about," Huey replied after reading Hunter's thoughts and he gave up thinking about it instantly. "You have two weeks from tomorrow and it is up to you how you accomplish the task."

Hunter chugged down his beer and dropped the bottle beside the sofa. "May I get more details about him?"

The screen before him split in half and Chad's picture moved to the right while his details filled the left.

Name: Chad Murray

Age: 53

Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Weakness: Gambling

Hunter was not astounded by the mere amount of information the system provided him with. This much was sufficient for him to plan the kill. But what irked him was that the man was in Florida and he had to fly all the way there.

"You will get more details about him after you land in Jacksonville," Huey explained and Hunter was pleasantly stunned for a moment, not expecting her to give him this privilege.

"Well, thank you." He mumbled and continued looking at the man, his brows narrowing into a frown when he found him familiar.

'Why does he look familiar? Where have I seen him?' He pondered, his frown deepening when he could not recall anything about the man.

"Huey, do you think I might have seen him before?" He queried, his lips twitching for a moment. But to his dismay, all he got in return was Huey's silence and he rolled his eyes to show his annoyance.

"You could at least tell me this much. It's not like you are violating any rules."

"It is a violation if I reveal something I am not supposed to." Huey's reply was instant and Hunter did not know what to say for a moment.

"Okay. What will happen if you still do so?" Hunter probed, his interest now piqued.

"If I do, then you'll be punished," Huey replied as though she was talking about the weather and Hunter almost bit his tongue to control the profanities he so badly wanted to hurl.

"Fine, don't violate any rules then. You and I, both will be safe this way." He muttered and looked at Chad's picture again. But he could still not decipher where he had seen him, and eventually, he gave up.

"Anything I should be aware of or consider?"

"Yes, one of his sons is an FBI agent. You might want to be careful even if he is a newbie to the job. It'll not be easy if things go haywire."

"Just when I thought that my first mission was easy," Hunter grumbled and did not know whether to laugh or cry. "I wonder how dangerous my missions in the future will be."

"I can only say each mission will be difficult and more dangerous than the previous ones. Just a warning here. I am not trying to scare you."

Hunter went speechless and he gave up arguing. "I cannot win against you."

"Glad that you know."

"With the XP I have, is there anything useful I can exchange it with?" Hunter's eyes gleamed and he looked at the screen intently.

"There is something available for you. But I don't think it is of any use to you."

"Oh..what is it?" Hunter raised his brows, only for his excitement to deflate like a popped balloon when he saw a knife on the screen.

"You can exchange your available XP to get this knife, although I doubt it would be of any use to you, considering that you already have one," Huey remarked, and Hunter sighed in defeat.

"I am wasted. I will sleep now. I don't think my mind and body can handle anymore." The day's exhaustion set in on Hunter, and his eyes closed eventually.

However, before sleeping, Huey's faint voice fell on his ears. "Chad and you go a long way back. You will find out soon."

But Hunter was too exhausted to give a damn about it and he slipped into a deep sleep.

1