18. Naomi’s suspicions
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Would you mind telling me what happened in there yesterday?"

Naomi glared at the man before her with her hands folded while all Hunter did was smile sheepishly at him.

"And stop smiling. You look like a creep." She spat and Hunter dropped his smile immediately and sat up straight. "Now, speak."

"I have no idea what you are talking about. I just did my job." Hunter shrugged and Naomi narrowed her eyes thoughtfully.

"You are lying." She deadpanned. "Let's try us again, but this time without the lies. What happened in there?"

"As I said before, I did my job. I killed the target and escaped from the place. That's it." Hunter answered truthfully. "And I am not lying."

'I am not lying, Naomi. Why do you think I am lying?' He thought with his head tilted. 'I killed the target and completed the mission the system assigned me.'

"Why did it take that much time for you to complete the mission?" Naomi did not give up and continued probing. "And before you say anything else, look at this."

Naomi turned her laptop towards Hunter and played the video she had saved and Hunter's eyes widened for a moment. He was at a loss for words and did not know how to overcome the situation.

Hunter watched himself killing Johnny on the screen and vanished for a few seconds before he appeared again to retrieve Johnny's keys.

"Why did you take his keys?" Naomi's observant gaze had caught Hunter's reaction and she raised her brows immediately.

'Don't you dare reveal about the system to her. Otherwise, you will die immediately. And don't worry, she does not know about you stealing money. There were no cameras pointed towards the safe.' Huey warned and Hunter was stuck in between two women who were hell bound at making his life difficult.

"I noticed his keys were about to fall off his pant pockets. So, I just took them out and placed them on the table. I didn't want to take any risks." Hunter lied and frowned immediately when he realized how stupid he sounded. He did not buy his story himself. It was impossible for Naomi to believe him too.

Naomi looked at him suspiciously. But did not comment a word about it. "In that case, why did it take you that long to escape from the room? You were done with your mission long ago."

"It was not easy, Naomi." Hunter objected right away. 'How can I say that I was cracking the safe password?' He thought and shook his head lightly. "Entering a place is easy; leaving is difficult. I had to make sure I had left no evidence of my presence."

This time, Naomi just nodded at him. "You are still a rookie. Maybe that's why you took more time before escaping." She mumbled and Hunter was not at all offended by her words. Anything to save himself from more questioning.

"Fine, we now have your Mission 2 to complete. What are your thoughts on it?"

Hunter let out a sigh of relief in secret and looked at the man's photo he had failed to kill in the first attempt. He had even ended up getting shot in his shoulder.

Although he could not recall much about the events from his previous life, he remembered the man who had shot him. Since it was his early days as a hitman, some memories were imprinted deeply.

"Naomi, find out his itinerary for the next few days. As far as I know, he will attend a concert in a few days." Hunter could not stop himself in time and only snuck out his tongue when he realized what he had spoken after noticing Naomi's dubious gaze.

"How did you know he will attend a concert soon?" Naomi raised her brows questioningly and Hunter almost smacked himself for his recklessness.

"I checked the guy's social media before coming here. He had posted a picture with the tickets. I just assumed it would be soon."

Naomi's expression eased and she got to work while Hunter cursed himself for speaking without thinking.

"You are right." Naomi interrupted his thoughts. "Target 2 will be attending a concert after five days."

"This makes our job easier." Hunter praised himself silently for remembering that he had killed the man when he was attending the concert and it was Naomi who had found out his itinerary a day before.

"With such a huge crowd, it will be easy for me to complete my mission."

"Are you sure you can do it?" Naomi did not stop typing and glanced at him for a second. "Shooting him among such a large crowd will not be easy. A small mistake and you know..."

"Don't worry, Naomi. It is not as difficult as you think it to be." Hunter assured her with a smile. "And who told you I'll be shooting him among the people? Is it even possible to carry weapons when there be thorough checking"? He scoffed and Naomi finally stopped typing.

"What do you mean? What do you have in mind?"

"What do you think is the least inconspicuous place to kill someone when they are attending a concert?"

"I cannot make a head or tail about your words. Can you be more clear?"

Hunter briefly explained his plan to her, and Naomi's eyes widened when she finally grasped his idea.

"It may be feasible. You need to be careful."

"I will. Just get a ticket for the concert for backup in case my initial plan gets foiled."

"Okay, will do. Is there anything else?"

"Yes." Hunter hesitated. 'Huey, is it fine if I seek help from Naomi for my mission?'

'Why do you need her help when you can use the system?' Huey sassed. 'The system can do all that your friend can and all that she can't also do.'

"That's true," Hunter muttered and pressed his brows.

"Did you say something?"

"Uhh..nope. I was just thinking. Just thinking." Hunter shook his head and got up to leave. "I will leave now, Naomi. I will send the detailed plan shortly."

"Okay?" Naomi still did not know what had got the man flustered. She just stared at him leaving the place in a hurry before she shook her head and returned to work.

1