23. Night Hunt
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Who else is here?" Hunter was oddly calm about the predicament he was in. If there was no one else here other than the two men and himself, he would have been surprised. 

"There are a few people and I have an inkling you might know some of them," Huey replied skeptically. 

"Why am I not astounded by this?" Hunter pulled out his gun and cocked it. 

"Maybe 'cause you have experienced a lot more appalling situations that you are slowly becoming immune to it." Huey mused and Hunter nodded his head in acceptance.

"Although I wished for it to not be a trap, somewhere I knew it was." Hunter clicked his tongue in reproach and shook his head. 

"What are you going to do? Please don't do anything stupid?" Huey warned, her tone filled with alarm and concern.

"Don't worry, Huey. I'll be careful. I just need to find out who the other people are and why they moved Mia's belongings here. Also, why did they lure me here?"

"I'll keep a watch out for you. Be rest assured the coast outside the cemetery is clear."

"Thanks. Huey. I owe you this time."

"Not at all. Remember to compensate me when I ask for it." Huey reminded him again.

"Fine, fine." Hunter entered the cemetery and looked around.

"Go left. You will find the people you are looking for." Huey advised. "The cameras here are not working. Your friend will not be of much help to you."

"Hmm." Hunter remained quiet and walked stealthily, making sure to stay as silent as possible. In the dead night, any sound he made would be amplified, alerting anyone in the vicinity.

'Something's being burnt.' Hunter frowned and stood still as he sniffed the air. He was not mistaken; the air smelled of burnt ash and Hunter felt his lungs exploding in fury when he thought of Mia's belongings slowly being reduced to ash.

"Be careful, Hunter. There is a high chance that the people here already know you are here." Huey cautioned him and Hunter's brows furrowed deeper.

Keeping her words in mind, he moved forward towards his left where the lights could not reach. He had to widen his eyes to look clearly in the dark. However, the darkness was momentary. He soon noticed a spark that slowly grew into a huge flame and Hunter's eyes widened when he noticed the number of people.

Other than the two men who had moved Mia's belongings to the cemetery, there were four other people, one among them being a woman. But he could not see their faces clearly from where he was and Hunter moved in the shadows to remain hiding while he observed them.

'Why are they dressed up as if they are starting a cult?' Hunter thought to himself as he observed the people who were all dressed similarly in black.

'That sounds odd but probable.' Huey did not hold herself back from commenting and Hunter stifled a smile.

Hunter found a hiding spot and secured himself from getting caught as he kept his eyes fixed on the seven people. From where he was, he could see their actions, but could not clearly hear anything they were speaking, other a few words.

'Huey, what do you think they are speaking? Can you hear them?'

'Yes.' Huey acknowledged. 'I hear them well.'

'What are they talking about?' 

'They are going to kill the two men who brought Mia's belongings here.'

Hunter did even get a moment to comprehend and accept what Huey had just said when he heard two loud gunshots. In the eerie night, the sound was similar to a blaring horn. To add to the misery, the sound was enough the trigger the screeches from all the animals and birds that had built their dwellings in the cemetery.

Hunter felt his heart jump when he saw the two men he had threatened some time ago drop dead before him. With his eyes wide, he stared at the remaining four, trying to find out who they were.

'Hunter, be careful.' Huey warned again and Hunter did not ignore her words. He too started to have an ominous feeling all of a sudden. Paying his utmost attention to the remaining people, he observed them, hoping to hear what they were speaking.

"Hunter," The woman yelled, her shout perturbing Hunter for a moment. "We know you are here. It'd be best if you come and greet us."

Hunter's gaze narrowed, disliking the tone the woman had used on him. It was rude, condescending, and imperious. Preparing himself for the shoot which he was sure was inevitable, he waited.

"If you come out on your own, we will give you a quick, painless kill." One of the men's voices echoed through the lonely night. "Otherwise, don't blame us for being impolite."

Hunter scoffed to himself. 'Impolite?' He wondered with a sarcastic smile on his face. 'I'll show you what being impolite is.'

Pulling out his revolver from his shoe holster, he aimed at the men. In two quick successive shots from his gun and revolver, the two men in the group dropped to the ground. Before the remaining people could react, he aimed his gun at the standing man and shot him. Before the group could get him, he had got to them.

The woman stood frozen in her spot as she stared at her now-collapsed comrades. Hunter did not allow her any chance of retaliation. He aimed his gun at her knees, rendering her incapable of moving before he walked out of his hiding.

"I presume you are looking for me." His voice sounded devilish in the dead night. 

Hunter stared at the stranger and tilted his head in confusion. "I'll get back to you in a minute. Let me make sure the men here will not be a problem to me anymore.

Hunter squatted beside one of the men and checked his pulse. Once he was certain that he was dead, he moved to the next man. However, his expression changed the instant he sensed the woman behind him move and he fired his gun immediately, shooting her in her shoulder and wrist, forcing her to drop her gun.

"Tch, tch, tch. That is not how you embrace death. Didn't anyone teach you to be patient when death is at your door?" Hunter reprimanded the woman as if he was speaking to a child while he checked the remaining men again. 

While one of them was dead, the other was still breathing and Hunter did not waste any time in giving him a quick death.

Once he was sure that the men would not be a nuisance anymore, he squatted before the woman who was glaring at him in hatred.

"Yes, lady. Now, you have my undivided attention. Let me greet you now."

0