24. Burned
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The woman glared at Hunter which he disregarded and smiled at her evilly. He was not the one to show respect to someone who intended to harm him. After getting another chance in life, he had made up his mind to end every threat to him before the threat came haunting him.

Although the sequence of events was different than his previous life, he had an inkling that the woman and the three men he had killed were somehow related to the mystery he was decoding, the mystery of his death. It'd be great if he could gain answers from the sole survivor who would soon be joining her mates.

"Would you care to tell me why you were waiting for me?" Hunter squatted before the woman, maintaining an arm's distance as he scrutinized her. "How did I gain your interest?"

The woman remained silent as she gritted her teeth and endured the pain in her legs.

"Weren't you being all mighty and noisy some time ago? What happened to you now?" Hunter ridiculed. "Did you lose your ability to speak?"

Hunter's eyes narrowed when he noticed her discreetly trying to get something from her pocket. Not giving her a chance to escape, he twisted her arm, sending the woman howling in agony. In the dark night, her cries sounded like a pig being slaughtered and Hunter smirked in mockery.

"Woman, you may shout as much as you want. But no one's going to come to your rescue. Isn't it why you lured me to the cemetery, a deserted place especially at night?"

Hunter's anger increased as he thought about the plan the people had come up with. He could not decipher why they wanted to kill him when he didn't even know who they were. He was meeting them for the first time, both lives included. 

The woman scoffed in disgust as she looked at him with resentment. "Do you think you can evade your death all the time?"

"What do you mean?" Hunter was flabbergasted. But he did not show any change in his expression.

'Do not believe her. She does not know your life truth.' Huey assured him the next moment much to his relief. 'She must be referring to something else.'

"How did you know I'd be at Mia's house tonight?"

"Let me answer this one question for you." The woman smiled as if she was pitying him. "It is not difficult to find intruders inside the house if there are any sensors. Am I right?"

Hunter's brows shot up in realization. It was a trap all along. People had been waiting for him to search Mia's house and whoever wanted him dead knew that he would for sure look for clues in her house. They had planned his death long ago. How long though?

"Who wants to kill me?" Hunter's jaw ticked in fury and he pressed his gun against the woman's forehead. However, she remained unfazed.

"Do you believe I'll answer your question?" She laughed, her expression resembling a lunatic woman. If not for her clear eyes, Hunter would have assumed her to have gone berserk all of a sudden.

Hunter held her lower jaw, almost crushing it with his sheer force. "You are going to reply to me. Otherwise..."

"Otherwise?" The woman's tone was filled with challenge. "Are you going to kill me too? You may kill us today. But that does not mean you will end all the threats to your life. You are to die and you will die soon. If not by my hands, by someone else's. Remember."

Hunter did not have the opportunity to stop her before the woman pushed him with her remaining ounce of energy. All he saw was her swallowing a pill before she started spitting saliva. Soon, her eyes rolled and she started spasming and Hunter could do nothing but watch.

Within a few seconds, her body became stagnant and her breathing stopped.

Hunter sighed and shook his head. "What a waste of skill." He mumbled, looking at the woman whose dead eyes were staring at the night sky.

'Do you pity her?' Huey questioned him carefully, making Hunter smile in mirth.

"No. I'd never pity anyone who wants to kill me. It's one thing if they want to kill me after I become a hitman. It may be out of revenge for what I did, for killing someone they are close to. However, I'm yet to begin my journey as a hitman in this life and I have killed only two people as of yet. It's surprising that there a quite a number of people who want me gone."

'Hmm, it's something to take note of.' Huey agreed.

"Maybe I'd have died early in my previous life if I had searched Mia's house someday. Too bad, I didn't have the thought ever. It must be 'cause I trusted Ryan too much and accepted all that he told me, without checking if it was the truth or total bullshit."

"What are you going to do about them?"

"Isn't it easy to burn them? The fools lit up their own pyre. How amazing!"

Huey let out a chuckle while Hunter started working. He first clicked the pictures of all the people he had killed. He needed to know who they were and how he had gained their enmity for them to plan his kill.

Once done, he arranged all the bodies and watched them burn. He stayed until all the bodies were completely burned before he left the place, not caring if anyone would find them in the morning. Anyway, they wouldn't be able to recognize the faces, and most possibly, by then, the dead would have become ash.

'What are you going to do now?' Huey questioned once Hunter was securely fastened to his car seat.

"I'm going home to sleep. I'm totally beat."

'Aren't you worried that people might come behind you in the morning once they can't catch hold of their mates who you killed so skillfully?"

Hunter did not miss Huey's tone of approval. She was impressed by him, totally. His chest swelled with pride and he smiled smugly.

"I'm worried. But I think I can manage. Didn't you see how I killed them?"

'Yeah. I also saw how you ran away from Mia's house when the burglars entered. Very impressive!' 

"Hey," Hunter cried in embarrassment. He could still not fathom why he had behaved so cowardly- so unlike him. "Can't you stay one day without taunting me?"

"Nope. It is my duty to show you the correct path and I do not lie." Huey deadpanned, making Hunter speechless.

"You are so annoying. I'm not talking to you anymore."

"Very well then. Don't come to me when you need something."

0