25. Lottery system
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hunter didn't care about the van that was parked right outside the cemetery. It was not his headache. The cemetery guard would in one hell of a surprise in the morning. Hunter prayed for the man's heart before he retraced his steps to his car.

The visit to Mia's house had not been fruitful in a way he wanted. However, he was now certain that there was a group of people who wanted him dead. Since he had killed a few of their comrades, the others were bound to come after him.

'Do not disappoint me, people. I'll be waiting to kill you all.' He promised and started his car.

On his way back home, Hunter did not disturb Naomi anymore. Since the people were dead, he was not in a hurry. He could find out about her progress in the morning. The poor lady needed to sleep and sleep well so that she could aid him better.

Hunter whistled a tune as he drove back home. Even though the night was eerie and dark, he was not scared. The events that had transpired in the cemetery had broadened his horizons. His death in the previous life was not as simple as he thought it to be and the only way to save himself was by being alert at all times and cautious of all the people around him. He could trust none, not even his shadow.

'Huey, are you there?' He questioned gently as if he was trying to flatter her.

Silence.

'Huey, sweetheart, are you there?' He called her again, his voice filled with sweetness that could give someone diabetes. His actions seemed nothing less than a pitiful man who was trying to appease his lover.

'Your voice makes me sick. Don't you ever dare to use such a tone on me.' Huey warned and Hunter beamed in delight.

'There you are. I was missing you.' 

'I'm going to start puking soon if you continue being palsy-walsy.'

'Huey, your words break my heart. Do I disgust you that much?' Hunter continued being dramatic. The journey back home was long and he was bored driving alone. Huey was his only company and he did not mind some entertainment to ease his boredom.

'Will you stop speaking if I say yes?'

'Aye, liar.' Hunter admonished and chuckled softly. 'You don't have to lie to me, Huey. I know you don't hate me nor do I disgust you. You are just annoyed with me.'

'When you know the truth, why are still asking me?' Huey was vexed and she did not hold back anymore. 'You are bored to death and you want to irritate me to death. Go find someone else. I'm not here to entertain you.' She did not leave him any face and exposed Hunter's intentions blatantly.

However, the man remained calm even after being exposed. Instead, he just chuckled in amusement.

'Huey, why didn't I realize that you were this cute before?' His question stumped Huey and she was at a loss for words. The man had mastered the art of annoying people and she was stuck with him. How she wished she could go back and change the host body. 

'Why didn't I realize that you are this exasperating before? If I had known, I'd have asked someone else to handle you.'

'Someone else?' Hunter frowned disconcertedly.

'Yes, someone who can control you and keep you in check. I'm sure you wouldn't have been this bold then.' 

Hunter felt his heart drop at her words and he realized how narrowly he had missed the chance of lifelong suffering. Fortunately, it was Huey. If it was someone else, he couldn't guarantee that he would've remained sane until now. And from Huey's words, it was clear that if it was anyone else, he would have gone berserk in an instant.

'Huey, I'm glad it is you. If it was someone else, I don't think I'd have survived even for a day.' Hunter said with all seriousness. Yet, Huey did not believe him. She just scoffed at him and remained silent.

'On a serious note, may I ask a few questions regarding this system?'

'Shoot.' Although Huey was still annoyed by him, she still entertained him.

'Do you get to choose the host or will someone choose it for you? How does this work?' Hunter was genuinely curious as to how things worked and how Huey had ended up with him.

'Let's just say that it's based on a lottery system most of the time. I got picked when it was your turn.'

'I see.' Hunter mulled over it for a few minutes. 'So you do not have any right to choose.'

'We do. But it depends on merit points.'

'Merit points?' Hunter was intrigued and his brows quirked up in wonder.

'We, intelligence, too have merit points. Every time we help the host complete the purpose we are with them, our merit points rise. So, whoever has the highest merit points gets the right to choose.' 

'Ohh,' Hunter was stunned by the revelation and he did not miss the innuendo in her words. 'You said that you will stay with the host until they complete the purpose. Does that mean there is more than one system and the Supreme Hitman System is just one among them?'

Huey went silent all of a sudden and Hunter realized he had hit the bull's eye. This truth was even more fascinating than he thought and his mind exploded due to the sudden influx of information.

'I wasn't supposed to reveal this secret to you or anyone else for that matter.' Huey's tone was filled with regret and alarm and Hunter felt bad for her. 'I let my guard down before you for a moment and you tricked me. How infuriating!'

Hunter did not whether to laugh or cry at her accusations. Although he wanted to object, he remained silent. Arguing with Huey right now was not a good option. She was like a grenade ready to explode at any moment. But he was not interested in being reduced to smithereens. He tactfully remained silent, allowing Huey to vent her anger until they reached home.

To his surprise, however, she went silent the moment he drove inside the building parking.

'Huey, what's wrong?' Hunter queried, finding her silence abnormal and daunting.

'Hunter, have you thought of moving to another place?'

'Yes, many times. But why do you ask?' He did not miss the worry hidden in her voice and he became vigilant immediately.

'You should move soon. This place may not be safe for you anymore.'

0