Chapter 74 – Puppet (2)
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The guards around the room pulled their swords from their scabbards and prepared to kill Cain.

The King sat back on his throne and smiled malevolently at Cain.

"With your death, I can not only regain control over my traitorous people but also make those nobles second-guess themselves. So false god, know that your death will at least bring about some good."

Cain began laughing hysterically at this fool who thought so highly of himself.

Not only did he tell him what he needed to know, but he also acted as if he was going to accept his death. Even a grade three could escape this encirclement and flee if they were relatively strong.

'Does he really expect some augmented knights to stop me? Truly an idiot.'

The knights weren't even plague doctors. It was so bizarre that it made Cain unable to control his laughter.

"Why are you laughing? Have you gone deranged knowing you were going to die? Tsk. To think I feared you. Guards! Kill him!"

Cain had come here without any weapons. He not only wanted to test the new Zimo virus he had created but also to test his new body against these guards.

But these guards were so weak! They weren't even worth fighting back against; it would be a waste of energy!

'It seems like I should fight the King for a bit before testing the virus.'

The guards neared Cain and attacked, but their blades didn't harm him whatsoever. They watched in horror as Cain appeared disinterested and simply grabbed the head of one of the guards, crushing the helmet with gurgled screams escaping from the inside.

The wailing knight's screams resounded through the hall as everyone became stunned, especially the King.

"Do not underestimate me. I am a god after all. I am far beyond mortal standards."

"Tsk. Guards, retreat. He is at least grade 3."

Edward got up from his throne, looking all-powerful. But Cain knew this 'King' was nothing in front of him. This entire situation was a joke.

"I'll have you know, Slave, that I am a Grand Peak Grade 3 plague doctor! I can even fight grade 4s with my status as a false ruler."

"Good. That means you can take a beating!"

Cain's eyes went bloodshot as he unexpectedly charged at the retreating guards, who were overcome with fear at Cain's charge.

For ten years, Cain had suffered from his condition, the condition that warped his personality and made him thirst for blood, for battle, for death!

Cain tore apart the screaming guards, reveling in the grotesque display of dismembered limbs. He mercilessly beat them to death. This cruel and unrestrained madness even took the King aback.

Cain had carried an air of normalcy and refinement before. But now, he was like a bloodthirsty monster having its fill.

Disgusted and repulsed, the King tried to save his royal guards, picking up a sword from one of their corpses and charging at Cain.

Cain ignored him, dispatching the last of the guards with ruthless efficiency. When he went to shift his focus to the King, a sword cut up vertically, ripping his torso open from his stomach to his shoulder.

His shoulder and arm drooped down as Edward looked triumphant. However, his face turned to inexplicable horror as he heard Cain's distorted gurgling voice, no longer sounding human.

"I... told... you. I am a god, above the realm of mortals!" The distorted voice was Cain's trick.

He had learned from Numineer to use any means necessary to mess with his victims' mental state, it was much more fun this way.

Cain's grievous wound changed rapidly, his body beginning to heal from the base of his stomach at a rapid pace. Organs and muscles regrew instantaneously. It only took a few seconds to fully recover.

"Though I must say, I didn't expect you to actually harm me. I guess you pass for being somewhat strong."

The King was no longer composed. His hair became disheveled and he turned and ran as fast as possible.

"General! General! Help me!"

The grand golden doors swung open, revealing the imposing figure of a man, accompanied by a young woman whose eyes widened at the macabre scene that unfolded within the hall's well-lit expanse.

The general's eyes widened in utter disbelief as he beheld the grotesque sight of a heap of lifeless bodies strewn across the floor. His gaze then shifted to the King, whose once authoritative demeanor had crumbled into sheer terror as he scurried away, a pathetic semblance of his former self.

Horror etched across the princess's face, her stomach churned at the sight of the lifeless corpses, threatening to betray her with an overwhelming urge to vomit.

"Protect me from this monster! He isn't human and he isn't a god either!"

A sly smile curved Cain's lips as he approached with echoing steps, exuding an eerie calmness. In response, the general's hand tightened around his sword, its tip pointing directly at Cain's heart.

"What are you?"

Cain responded, "What do you mean, General? I am God."

The three were dazed. When Cain spoke, he spread his arms wide like a messiah. His glowing skin seemed to emit a holy radiance, creating a beautiful scene that even mesmerized these three, who had witnessed the carnage he had committed. Even with blood still covering his face.

"Don't worry, I don't plan to kill any of you... well, except for the two of you. I need the King for my plans!"

At that moment, the three couldn't move. They felt like their bodies had betrayed them, as no matter how much they wanted to, their bodies didn't respond.

"This is the new virus I created. It's based on the Zimo virus, but the zombie factor can only be activated when I decide it. You are now infected by me, and your bodies are no longer your own, but mine!"

The general was the first to speak, while the princess was still processing everything. Edward was hollow, not uttering a word.

"What are you doing to us?!"

Cain smiled, "Well, I plan to kill you and the princess to cultivate more of this virus. Since I used the only supply I had on you three. So I will now harvest you for the virus. Like so!"

The general immediately imploded, leaving behind bits and pieces with a bloody residual mist slowly descending in the air. Cain stored this mist, while the other two looked miserable, no, worse than miserable.

Desperation gripped the King as Cain allowed him to fall to his knees before him, Edward's voice trembling with raw vulnerability, "Please, I implore you, spare my sister's life! I beg of you!"

"What's this? Why would you, with you're twisted personality care so much for her? ...Wait."

Observing the princess's reaction and the King's desperation, Cain realized everything. 

He began to laugh hysterically, "I didn't think the royal family did such taboos! Well, I am a god, after all. I should spare a pair of lovers to show my kindness!"

Relief washed over the King's face, momentarily erasing his fear. However, a malevolent terror twisted Cain's features, turning his countenance into a chilling visage of wickedness.

"But why should I do that for someone who attacked God? I believe you are due for some divine punishment my misled lamb!"

Just like that, the princess joined the general and died, exploding into mist and blood. Cain directed the mist into a container and looked at the King, whose eyes were now empty and glossy.

There was nothing left of this once great leader and all that remained was a shell filled with despair.

"Well, that's enough of that. My 'thirst' seems to be gone now too! Well, now that that's done, I will bid farewell to you, King of Puffrid. Your mind shall be erased to become my puppet. My plans are now a step further!"

The King didn't respond as Cain initiated another use of this virus. This specific Zimo virus was created with Cain as the progenitor. It was connected to him, like a leader controlling his soldiers.

He could control anyone infected, no matter what. This also gave him many ways to use and affect the infected.

The virus had the ability of the original Zimo strand to change people into undead or, like now, erase the minds of the victims and make them mindless puppets.

The creation of the puppet only took a few moments before the King put on a confident smile and stood up.

He immediately bowed to Cain and spoke monotonously.

"My Lord, what is it that this lowly one can do for you?"

Cain smiled as got back to business, first on the list, uncovering the secret of the black box.

"First, do you know what this box is? It was traded for those devices that can detect if a person is a contaminant."

"Ah, yes. I remember it was the first trade-off with Salazar in Free City, right? We gave it to them for the devices because we couldn't open it. We had many rune-smiths try to unlock it, but the runes were ancient and unknown, so we just traded it."

Cain looked at the black box he had pulled out and stared at it.

'There are runes on this?' He examined the box, but he couldn't see any runes.

"Do you know a rune-smith who could decipher the meanings?"

The puppet's gaze turned inward, lost in contemplation for a brief moment. It exhibited a quality akin to a human's inner thinking.

"Yes, there is a famous rune smith in Sholn. He might know. He is rumored to be a part of an ancient rune-smith family. Named Xavier Palmer"

Cain smiled, "Last question, do you know of a man named Darius? He was a soon-to-be Elder of Free City but ran during its siege. My information tells me he is now the leader of your intelligence bureau."

"Yes Master, I know him well since he is a Grade 4. I haven't met him personally but I have people check up on him."

"Bring him to me."

King Edward bowed left to search the Palace, looking for one of the guards who didn't die under Cain's assault.

...

As Cain waited on the throne of Puffrid, twiddling his thumbs, memories of his late master flooded his mind. He remembered the warm feeling of the time he spent with John and the void left behind after his death.

Even so, he those emotions were now nothing, no grief or anger at Darius. All of this to Cain was just a way to repay a debt to the person who raised him, nothing more and nothing less.

Prior to his visit here, Cain had his men search for information on Darius and found where he had been all these years. It was Cain's second reason for coming here after the black box.

Eventually, Edward entered the throne room followed by a familiar man. Edward kneeled before Cain.

The man following Puffrid's King had fear consume his face, his mouth turned agape at a loss for words, and Cain relished in this moment of vulnerability.

"Darius. I find that the cause of my Master's death was quite unlike him. Sacrificing his life is something both of us know he would never do. Funnily enough, you were with him when he died. Do you have something to say about this?"

"Cain, I didn't kill John! I would never do that to my friend!"

"Now, now. I have come to learn the human heart, so when I say this, know it is the truth: There is no limit to what a person will do to achieve their goals, whether born from greed or anything else."

"Cai-"

"Silence! ...Edward, restrain him!"

Edward promptly used his strength to force Darius to one knee. Despite Darius's higher rank, Edward's status as ruler gave him the upper hand.

"I do not know why, but I know you killed John. You forced him into a position where he had to attack that Undead leader and then left him behind. Do not lie to me because I know all of it!"

As Cain stood up from the throne and walked slowly towards Darius, he noticed the former Elder trying to squirm, but he couldn't move under Edward's watchful eye.

Cain's every step felt like an eternity to Darius, and he involuntarily tried to back away but nothing came of it, his legs trembling beneath him.

Cain approached and put his hand on Darius's face, muttering words that caused absolute dread.

"Revenge is sweet."

Before Darius could say anything, his head combusted under Cain's sheer strength. His grey matter flew and landed all around the Puppet King and Cain.

Cain said nothing but looked up, basking in the blood spraying from Darius's corpse.

'Master, I did it. I have avenged you. Let this be our final goodbye....'

2