Chapter 93 – Loss in Land
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aprord was a city in the Netherane, surrounded by swamps and built upon elevated land, allowing for its long-time existence, lest it be swallowed by the muddy grounds.

Aprord was the southernmost city held by the Empire and acted as a mediator for the transport of taxes, surrounded by many villages and towns.

It wasn't a wealthy city but it had hearty inhabitants and a long history dating back to the time Free City became a major hub in Netherane.

Despite being relatively unnoticed, it held great strategic importance as the only city on the other side of the long river that split the Empire from Free City and Peoria.

The city's strategic location made it an ideal outpost for launching attacks on the Empire or for the Empire to strike its adversaries.

As war loomed larger on the horizon, an influx of nobles and royals arrived in the city, seeking to strengthen their control and secure their positions when the inevitable conflict erupted.

But this won't go as the Empire plans. The night descended like a heavy curtain, engulfing the swamps in silence. As darkness settled, figures silently weaved through the murky terrain, closing in on the city like phantoms in the moonlit mist. The walls were barren of any guards, a critical mistake in the hours to come.

As the dark shadows emerged from the tree line and basked in the glow of the moons, the only lights that ever shone on these lands, the figures reached the walls and began their climb, taking no time at all to reach the top.

As they peered inward, their breaths caught at the sight of the city's skyline filled with looming buildings.

Some lights flickered and vanished, signifying the owners' retreat into slumber, while others burned steadily, painting the night with hues of amber and gold. Places like bars and brothels were like beacons in the city, lighting up almost the whole street.

The figures descended from the walls and headed into the city, avoiding places like bars and brothels, sticking to the darkness.

They headed for the center of the city where many manors were built, where the nobles and Royals of the Empire stayed, biding their time for the war to begin.

It didn't take long for the group to find the manors. The manors themselves were heavily guarded, but it was hard to tell if the guards were augmenters or not. Upon entering their first target, the group stealthily entered a large backyard that had guard dogs walking about.

Noticing something immediately, the dogs became alert and were about to bark, but just as they opened their mouths, they were silenced as the figures appeared by their sides and slit the animals' throats.

Inside the manor, they moved with calculated ruthlessness, swiftly eliminating every inhabitant in their path. Each life taken seemed to weigh heavily on their hearts, even as their unwavering determination drove them to fulfill their mission.

As the figures proceeded, one among them, moving with a sense of purpose, ventured towards a specific part of the manor. Inside its opulent walls resided the office of Gustav Salazar, who had recently married into the Royal Family, becoming one of the late Emperor's many cousins.

Upon entry into Gustav's office, the figure could see the Royal was still working, but he had stopped a few moments after the figure entered.

"It seems this gamble didn't pay off. I'm afraid I have failed my father yet again...tell me, what is it you want?" Gustav asked.

The figure stared at Gustav before removing his mask and revealing their face; it was Anders.

"I just want your life, Salazar," declared Anders, his voice low and intense.

Gustav's eyes widened with recognition. "I know you! You're one of the main suspects in killing His Majesty! You deserted right after that attack in Salazar City!... It seems I really will die here."

Gustav quickly realized his situation, facing someone suspected of killing the Emperor, a being in line with deities in some eyes. In that moment, he lost all hope.

"I will not kill you if you join our cause. I am not the one who killed the Emperor, but I know who did. Our group is hunting that person and plans to bring his life to an end during the war when he will finally bear his fangs."

Gustav sat back, deep in thought. "What will I get by siding with you? How do I know you didn't kill the Emperor?"

"I'm not even a Grade 2. I can tell you what you gain; our group will take over this city and become a country just like the Empire and Kingdom. Not only will you not be killed here, but you can join this new country and gain our support."

"I don't seem to have a choice. I will accept your offer."

"Good, you will see you made the right choice tomorrow."

Ander left with the rest of his men and headed to the other manors. They spent the night killing nobles and Royal Family members, sparing those who would join them and eliminating those who rejected them.

Even the mayor was visited, he showed a happy disposition to join Alex and Anders as they came with a very nice contract that would make him wealthy, unlike when he was under the rule of the Empire.

In the morning, each of the survivors waited for the so-called choice they made. They watched from the views of their balconies at the edge of the city, waiting for what they had thrown away their status for.

The gates groaned open, creaking and shrouding the area below it in dust and rocks. Vibrations strung the streets as an army entered the city. Every soldier wore plated armor and looked like a glistening knight with the help of the ever-present moonlight.

Leading the march was a beautiful woman surrounded by what appeared to be an elite group of guards. The woman wore a beautiful silk robe that covered her whole body, giving her a commanding presence with its bright yellow color scheme, matching her bright golden eyes.

She had short red hair that was bright like fiery flames. She walked silently as her army followed her; no one dared to stop them as they headed up the hill to the center of the city.

At the center, there was already a platform where she promptly walked up and presented herself to the city. Her voice was clear as it magically reached every corner and every pair of ears in the city.

"I am Alex Ellaria, and I am here to announce the departure of Aprord from the Empire and its joining of hands with the Order of Truth. On this day, I announce the formation of a new country with the hope of giving real freedom to its inhabitants. Today, I declare the creation of the Federation of Concord! With its birth, I invite you all to join us in extinguishing the flames of hatred and falsehoods that engulf our lands. Let the Federation of Concord be a beacon of truth and unity amidst the impending storm of war. Together, we shall triumph. Thank you."

With that, the formation of a new power in Netherane was complete. With it, the imminent war would progress even faster than before, as this attack on the Empire would send them into a flurry of rage.

But little did they know that Alex's vision extended far beyond the formation of the Federation of Concord.

In the depths of her resolve, she harbored plans to face the formidable challenges that were Numineer and Cain, two powerful adversaries who held the eventual fate of Netherane in their hands.

2