Chapter 133 – Republic of Fume Trading Group
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cain walked down to the port. Since last night, he had acquired a new pair of clothes and was now sporting a white tunic and brown pants along with black boots. On the way to the docks, he caught the eye of many.

Despite the presence of foreigners in this place, Cain seemed otherworldly due to his unique hair and eyes.

"Cain, you made it! Sorry about the captain. She gets like that after a few drinks,"

It was Marko, the second in command of the Red Titian.

"It's fine. I thank you for the help," replied Cain.

Stepping on board, Cain was brought before a chaotic scene. Crewmates were running around cleaning or preparing to depart.

"Heh, it's usually not this chaotic when setting off. The captain was especially excited to leave, that's all," Marko explained.

Smirking, Cain crossed his arms. "I feel like I can guess why."

He then looked towards the wheel of the ship, where Connie stood with a red face, barking orders. She was so loud that Cain could hear everything.

"We need to leave, hurry up! It's almost noon, he should be coming soon! We have to go!"

Scratching his chin, Marko commented, "Yeah... the captain might be a little embarrassed to see you."

Making his way across the deck, Cain ascended the stairs. Coming up behind the captain, he reached out and tapped her on the shoulder.

"What is it... AH!"

Connie jumped in fright, causing the boat to shake when she landed back on her feet.

"Captain Connie, I hope there are no hard feelings. I truly am sorry, but I cannot reciprocate your feelings."

"No, no, no, it's nothing like that! I should be saying sorry for how I acted towards someone who saved my hide. Really, it's no problem at all!"

For the next five minutes, the two exchanged apologies back and forth. Marko intervened before they could continue indefinitely.

...

Cain decided to continue traveling with the crew of the Red Titian. They were heading back to their employer for their next mission, which happened to be on the main island of the Archipelago.

Connie sailed while Marko filled Cain in on who they worked for.

"The way it works is we're under Connie, who is under the Fume Trading Company of the Republic of Fume to the East, one of the two big countries. Since we're under the captain, we get paid like her, but we can leave whenever we want since we aren't under the trading company. However, the captain can't leave unless they fire her, so she's carrying all the risk and gets to set the reward for us."

"And she can't stop working for them no matter what? What happens if she chooses to stop working for them?"

Marko shook his head. "Not possible. The contract used was from the other country to the Northwest. It was created using their magic and binds the two parties. It can only be undone if either side dies or the employer terminates the contract. If anything is violated, the captain would die due to the magic."

"Can't one of you kill the employer?"

Marko produced a copy of the contract from Connie's desk.

"It's not that simple. It's a company, after all. Multiple people signed and would become the employer if anything happened to the current one. And if anyone connected to her is found to be trying to help her, the contract will automatically activate. It could even be just suspicions, and it would result in her death. It's a slave contract."

"So, you asked me for help?"

Upon agreeing to take Cain with them, Marko asked Cain to help them with one small thing, to which he agreed. This led to the current conversation.

"I'm a native. I grew up with an abusive father and a mother who would do nothing. I don't know anything about anything and spend my days following the capt'n. You're different. You're from another territory with an ability that no one has ever seen before. This might be a shot in the dark, but we're desperate to free our leader."

"Tsk, fine. However, doing this means that in return, I want you and your crew to be my entourage wherever I go while I'm here."

Marko practically jumped up from his seat, even hitting a chandelier above him. "That's great! Of course, we can take you where you need to go!"

...

After the talk with Marko, the crew seemed more friendly towards Cain.

Cain's brows furrowed as he weighed Marko's request in his mind. He drummed his fingers on the wooden railing, conflicted as the day went on.

When it got dark, the crew went below deck to eat while Marko took over steering, and Connie and Cain talked in her room.

"Again, I want to apologize for what I said at the bar. I get like that when I drink,"

The aroma of roasted pig wafted through the captain's quarters, making Cain's mouth water. The crackling of the crispy skin echoed off the wooden walls. He savored the tender meat's juicy flavor as he swallowed his first bite, a gesture from Connie to make amends.

"I already said it's fine. I should have taken your feelings into account before flat-out rejecting you."

Connie didn't respond, and they sat in silence.

Cain, absentmindedly chewing a tender piece of pig. His eyes glazed over as he recalled the endless quiet moments from his other self's life.

'If I had to guess, it might be because of the energy he would talk to himself about...'

The memories Cain saw could only be experienced through sight and hearing. His other senses were blocked off from him, and he couldn't fully immerse himself in the scene. Still, that was most likely a good thing.

Cain chewed absentmindedly on a tender piece of roast pig, lost in thought.

Connie's head jerked up. "Why did you reject me?" she blurted, eyes flickering. "Am I not pretty enough for you?"

Cain choked, coughing violently as he tried to swallow his mouthful. He pounded his chest, face reddening.

"No, no," he choked. "It's not that at all." He took a gulp of ale to clear his throat. "It's just - we're different races, and I don't plan on staying here long..."

The Huogg frowned. "He said those exact same words... the one who taught me this language. I also liked him once, and he rejected me the same way, with those same hollow words."

Her words came with a low growl of annoyance that seemed to awaken Cain's somber thoughts.

Connie frowned, staring into her mug of ale. "I don't understand. You seem like a kind man. Why are you so opposed to love?"

Cain shifted in his seat, jaw tightening. "It's complicated."

"Try me," Connie said gently. "I'm a good listener."

Cain hesitated, warring with himself.

Connie leaned forward, gaze earnest. "You mentioned differences in race and not staying here long. But that was an obvious lie"

Cain looked down at his plate.

"You can tell me," Connie urged. "It might help to talk about it."

Cain let out a long breath, shoulders slumping. "You're right. There is more."

He closed his eyes, as if steeling himself. When he opened them, the pain within made Connie's breath catch.

"I'll tell you," Cain said heavily. "Just...give me a moment."

Connie nodded, waiting patiently. She could see the struggle on Cain's face as he gathered the words.

"I had someone I cared for deeply once," he began haltingly. "But I lost them in a horrific way..."

Connie's eyes widened with each sentence, and her eyes went wide with shock. She never expected him to simply tell her everything, his emotions spilled out like a river, a pure and wistful river.

The only words she could manage were a simple "Thanks," as she absorbed the weight of this man's sorrows. She felt an ocean of regret and self-loathing.

"I thank you for your interest in me, but I am incapable of returning it. Is this explanation sufficient?"

"More... more than enough. I apologize, for I now realize I was being childish. I lashed out because of something in the past..."

Silence once again enveloped the dimly lit table before Connie opened her mouth once more.

"Could you... could you perhaps tell me more about your life? I would like to hear it."

".... I suppose I could tell you a little..."

0