Chapter 134 – Republic of Fume Trading Group (2)
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over the course of their journey, Cain would tell Connie about his life. However, it was important to leave things out, such as the other him and secrets related to Netherane's core.

He even made a point not to tell her about him being a contaminant. Believe it or not, Contaminants went by many names across territories and were ignored and unchecked in most places.

Cain also had a creeping suspicion about the identity of contaminants after learning they could only be found in territories with cores, from a book in the duchy, of course.

Contaminants weren't really special anywhere else from what he could tell. From what he could gather, they were just people who came from wormholes, and depending on their luck, they would be helped to join society or be enslaved and taken advantage of due to their similarity to newborn chicks.

Funnily enough, even though contaminants were the most mysterious beings in the Landfill, no one seemed to care about them enough to learn why they existed, which gave Cain even more certainty in his guess.

"Thank you for agreeing to help me. I know Marko and the rest have been trying to find a way, but I have long given up hope."

"I'm happy to help out a friend."

Connie was someone Cain had only recently met, yet he so easily confided in her. He didn't know if it was because he felt like he had to get it all out, or if it was just better to be open. He simply yearned for someone on his side again. Someone he could trust; he wanted to recreate that feeling again.

"Capt'n! Land's coming up! We're home, yehe!" Thomas cheered with a flask of booze in his meaty hand, his ruddy face beaming with excitement.

Thomas was one of the crew Cain talked to on the trip. He was a friendly, chubby man with booze always at hand.

The view of an island slowly came into sight. It was spectacular. The island was split into two different styles. One side had bronze structures reinforced with stone, spewing steam into the air, while the other side was bathed in a glorious glow from a tall tower, holding some kind of orb at the top.

One side held the same trains he had seen before, going from the ground to the sky and stopping midway, letting off people high in the air to different levels of different buildings.

On the other side, platforms raised as groups of people reached different points in tall and sturdy buildings made of white and gold.

It was an awe-inspiring landscape of two worlds colliding. Cain couldn't even put his amazement into words.

"Hehe, just like Capt'n when she first got here. You know I actually met her when she first came here. Back then I was just a flower girl, hehe," an older woman slapped Cain's back, pushing him a bit forward.

"Rose, get back to work! We still haven't landed yet!"

"Yes, Capt'n!" Rose tipped her hat at Cain before going back to tying ropes and keeping everything in check.

It wasn't only the island Cain could see. At the port, there were so many different ships he hadn't seen on his way here. Some weren't made of wood, and others didn't even have sails. Looking closer, even the cannons were different. However, on the other port, the ships seemed to be the same.

"Those ships are dangerous. They never leave the port because of the treaty," Marko seemed to come out of nowhere and spook Cain.

"What treaty?"

"A treaty signed for both countries to peacefully coexist here. One of the reasons for the treaty was to keep those ships from going out into open water. And that wasn't all, because the other side also couldn't have their own personnel go out on open water if they knew how to use any of their mancies."

"What the hell is a mancy?"

"Like pyromancy, hydromancy, oneiromancy. Those sorts of things. That country holds weird magics like that, while the other is focused on tech, which is why they aren't as dangerous individually."

"Ah, so magic vs technology? If you know that much, why don't you know about the countries themselves?"

"Because they don't want people to know about them. Even tourists sign documents like the one the cap'n signed, to keep them quiet. Anyone who enters here has to. Unlike people who don't enter conventionally, like the Captain, she came from a corrupt zone to enter, similar to you, right?"

Lancey also seemed to have the habit of popping up unnoticed. He was the ship's archiver and kept a record of their 'business' transactions. He was a foreigner who, like many, signed such a contract and couldn't speak of it.

"Done with the book already?"

Lancey brushed back his slicked black hair and adjusted his glasses, his other hand holding up a book.

"Yes, on my way to the captain now."

He headed off and left Cain and Marko to their conversation.

"What I'm trying to say is don't mess with either side. Though if you had to choose, side with the Republic of Fume. They're our backers and the ones who rescued Connie. They are the only ones who got out back, even if barely."

...

Docking at the port, Cain stepped off the wooden ship and onto stone. He was greeted by the wafting smell of soot and iron.

Right off the docks were smithies working tirelessly as intricate pieces of metal were made and assembled without end. It reminded Cain of when his other self used all the blacksmiths in Peoria after he took over the whole Kingdom.

'Thankfully, that virus died over the course of Netherane losing its power. If he had released that virus outside, it would have caused chaos...'

"Cain, follow me. I'll bring you to the company where we work. It's a subsidiary of the Fume Republic and is run by a merchant family from there."

Connie dragged Cain along before they came before a massive and elegant building. Above the doors inside, it read 'Fume Trading Co.'

Entering, Connie had to lower her head to not hit the ceiling and they came before the desk attendant.

"Ah, Ms. Connie, finished with the most recent job, I see! Mr. Meier has just finished a meeting and can see you right now. He's in his office."

"Thank you, Sarah. Have a great day!"

Cain followed Connie down the hall and up the stairs before they stood before double doors.

"Hey, Cain. I don't know if we'll be successful at all, but... thank you for helping me. I know you didn't have to go this far."

Cain couldn't help but smile. "I did have to go this far, not only to help a friend but to begin redeeming myself by helping others."

Her eyes watering, Connie was struck with emotion. She had the tendency to act like a child, so this was expected. A quick intake of her breath, and her face turned serious once more as her hand reached for the door and it clicked open.

 

Note: 5 Chapters this week, Mon-Fri. Expect them to release around 1 pm

1