Chapter 135 – Republic of Fume Trading Group (3)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the other side of the door stood a young man with brown hair. He was sitting behind his desk, looking at some paperwork before rolling it into a cylinder and placing it in a tube, from which it took off.

Cain and Connie entered, taking seats before him. He didn't react to them in the slightest.

Connie spoke up "Mr. Meiers, I have completed the mission you assigned and have returned,"

He responded with a flat and candid tone, "Good, if that is all, I have another mission for you to take, though expect to return with fewer men."

Cain noticed Connie's hands clenching into fists as she tugged on her pants. She took a deep breath and then voiced her opinion.

"Mr. Meiers, I wish to terminate the contract between us."

The pen in his hands stopped as he laid it down. Meiers clasped his hands together and looked at his employee with his sunken aquamarine eyes.

He then let out a sigh.

"You've worked for us for 50 years. First contracted to my uncle, and now to me... I understand your desire for freedom, but I cannot grant it. You undertake tasks others can't, and you possess the strength to get the work done. You are a necessity for the company.

I would be willing to terminate the contract, but it would require something of equal value. Releasing you without compensation means a loss for us."

Connie stood up, making sure not to hit the ceiling. "Let me go? I'm a slave to you and your company!"

"Well, yes... my uncle did hire you through... immoral means. However, I'm sorry, but it's just not feasible. Provide me with someone of greater value or something exceeding your worth"

Cain interrupted, "What characteristics must this person possess to replace her, under a fair contract, of course?"

Meirers's lips curved "Oh? You came in with her. You seem to be quite intelligent and charismatic. To answer your question... they would need to match her in power and strength; not necessarily physical strength, of course."

Cain already knew what he had to do, yet the thought caused him immense unease.

He had only recently gained freedom, but now he would willingly bind himself again, by his own choice.

"I can take her place. My body is fairly strong, and I possess high combat power and adaptability. However, I want assurance of fair treatment."

Meiers' eyebrow raised. "You? I'm sorry, but you don't appear to be of equal value. Huogg live for around 400 years, whereas you are just a hum—"

"Two centuries. I can live for two more centuries, and I'm already over a century old. Does that suffice?"

Meiers stared at Cain. He attempted to peer into his eyes, but all he saw was his own reflection. He rolled his chair back slightly and retrieved a document from a drawer.

"This is the 'updated' contract. It's less unfair than Connie's and even better than our competitors'. But first, prove your potential to be more valuable than her."

Cain nodded. 'Okay, let's do this... try to replicate it, try to replicate—'

A memory played repeatedly in his mind, one where his other self's actions induced his opponent to recoil in fear. Many such instances existed, but this was the clearest and most vivid.

Cain couldn't see his own face, but he could attempt to reconstruct it based on the petrified expression before him. It was a look of dread and absolute fear, as if the figure before them was a beast poised to devour them whole.

Furrowing his brows, Cain concentrated harder, knowing his impact on Meiers bore great significance. Asserting dominance seemed the right path.

The shift in the air was swift. Within seconds, Cain's body seemed to transform into a crimson vapor. The scent of blood grew thick, permeating the room as his eyes gradually opened.

Connie and Meiers froze at the sight. The atmosphere turned frigid as if the warm light extinguished.

Glowing red, his eyes became portals to his soul. Within lay endless death and despair, akin to a battlefield of souls struggling to escape his grip. Breathing for the two became arduous, and Cain's eyes slowly reverted to their dark emerald green.

Unlike before, his voice was devoid of life, only for a moment.

"Proof enough."

Meiers' eyes widened in shock, his face pale as he gripped the desk to steady himself. However he seemed to regain his composure swiftly.

"Very well. I've decided. I'll craft a contract worthy of you. Return tomorrow, and I'll release Connie and hire you. Don't worry; the contract will be our best offer."

"Thank you, Mr. Meiers!" Connie, beyond thrilled, had already forgotten about Cain's intimidation. Fifty years, and she was finally free.

She gripped Cain's wrist and headed for the door to celebrate.

...

Once they exited, Meiers continued staring at the now-vacant doorway.

He could no longer conceal it—his trembling legs striking his desk resonated throughout the room.

A blend of fear and excitement crossed his face as he muttered, seemingly enlightened, "I have acquired a monster!"

...

The subsequent day, Connie and Cain returned. Connie's contract was officially terminated, and she was free. Meanwhile, Cain examined a document and, upon confirming its accuracy, signed a contract with Meiers, becoming an employee and taking Connie's place.

Although Connie was now liberated, he couldn't renege on the agreement. Connie and her crew would bear the consequences, discernible from a glimpse into Meiers' eyes as he gazed at him.

"Connie, please leave. I need to brief Cain on his mission. Thank you again for your years of service to Fume Trading Co."

Connie grinned broadly, offering a bow before departing. The room now housed only Cain and Meiers.

"Now, Mr. Cain. For your initial task, I wanted to present something neither too simple nor too challenging."

Meiers slid a folder toward Cain and continued.

"Recent rumors allude to the existence of a 'Fountain of Life'. Multiple sources have indicated its veracity. In the folder, firsthand and secondhand accounts support its existence. We believe investigating is warranted."

"What's my role in this?"

"Well... I want you to explore the central seas and search for this 'Fountain.' You won't be alone. While we can't provide battleships or armed vessels, I can assign you five ships with adept men trained in close combat. All of them are elites you will lead into the sea to verify this supposed Fountain."

"And the compensation?"

"If it's real, we will promote you and grant fitting rewards. If you locate and secure it, you'll join the Meier family and attain any desired wish. Should the rumor prove false, we'll compensate you and cover expedition losses."

Cain's eyes narrowed as he perused the document. "When do I depart?"

"In two days, if possible. We're uncertain if others have received the same information. Swift action is preferable. Remember, you're bound by the contract, albeit a favorable one. Disloyalty culminates in death."

Cain lifted his head, grinning. "I'll complete the mission expeditiously. You can count on me."

0