Defend It With Your Life
326 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


The calm wind blew through my hair as I got back onto my feet again. Pain in my leg intensified and I could barely walk a few steps before falling down again. This time I scraped more of my arms to break my fall as blood stained the jagged gravel. I looked behind me. 

My room’s door that I had just opened was still there, unfitting in this sensational environment. It was still open, contrasting the sway of the trees and the sunny sky. I could still see my empty room through the door. I got up once again and prepared to close it. Until it came to my mind that if I did close it, would I be trapped in this strange place forever? 

I found a large rock nearby and wedged it into the sill. That way, it was still ajar and I could hopefully use it to return back. For now, my curiosity had gotten the best of me. In this unfamiliar place, I wandered off into the forest. It reminded me of the forests back home. I questioned when was the last time I’d taken a walk in nature, back when I still lived with my father. He always said to me that nature had a power that we couldn’t understand, and we as humans should strive to understand and appreciate the tiny things we saw in that forest. 

I thought I should do the same here: Look at the strange insects I’d never seen before, some playing with a piece of worm or something, or bask myself in the sunlight that beamed through the tree’s branches. I inspected the weeds battling for survival on the ground and touched weird mushrooms with a twig. 

It was only a few minutes of walking through the thicket until I heard the sounds of a voice. My heart rate skyrocketed, as I glanced around at where it came from. More voices entered my ear. Could these be adventures? Could this place be the hunting grounds of some local villages nearby?

I dove behind a tree, my leg giving in, and collapsed to the soil. Soon enough, I took a peek and spotted two people leisurely walking in the forest. I couldn’t hear their conversation, but I did hear the rattle of weapons. It would be brainless to walk up to them since I did not know who they were or if they were some bandits scouting the area. Suddenly the realization came to me that I shouldn’t be here. What was I doing in this… parallel world? My legs were then  programmed to stand and run in the opposite direction of the two people.

I didn’t notice whether they had noticed me, but I just ran as fast as my injured leg could take me. My lungs wheezed as my breath complained, the hinges of my knees riveting to the sudden stop of my motion. When I lifted my head, I found myself back where the door was. I inched myself closer, to find the rock I put in the sill holding firm. I sighed before my shoulders perked up to the sound of growling. 

I didn’t bother to turn around. Rather, my fear held me in place, as if a hammer nailed my feet to the ground. Instead my head jolted around to see an animaloid creature. With my peripheral the four-legged, three-horned animal snobbled at my presence. I found the courage to slowly turn around, ignoring the warning signals my heart jabbed at me. An image of the truck flashed into my mind. 

My body flew yet again several meters, but this time I managed to block my face. Blood dripped down my arms, and they panged in immediate pain. I could barely stand up again, my casts and bandages becoming freshly stained with crimson. I could die. I didn’t know what this animal was, but I knew that I could die. But I didn’t want to die just yet. 

I picked up a fist-sized stone from the ground. The creature rumbled yet again, prodding the dirt with a hoof. I blinked and the animal closed the distance between us. Gripping the rock in my hand I chucked it several strides as hard as I could. The rock whirled past the creature and rammed into me. However, since it dodged, its tackle didn’t falter me to the ground. 

A fist went into its eye. It arched over, stuttering around. I took my chance and bolted for the door. But the sankakujuu, as I now called it, regained composure and ran at me once again. It headed directly towards the door. Crap, if it destroyed the door, what would happen? Would it go through into my room? Or demolish it entirely?

I couldn't afford to find out. I reached the door just in time to see the sankakujuu charging at it with full force. My hands picked up the rock I had used to wedge the door open and chucked it with all my strength, hitting the creature square in the head. It stumbled back, dazed for a moment, giving me the opportunity to slip through the door and into my room. 

Breathing heavily, I turned around and slammed the door shut, locking it securely. I limped over to my bed and sat down, my heart pounding in my chest. 

I looked around my room, which now seemed like a sanctuary compared to the unknown world outside my door. However, I knew that I couldn't stay here forever. That sankakujuu needed to be dealt with. I sat there for a while, lost in thought, trying to piece together what had happened and how my door somehow lead to that strange world. The memories of the truck accident appeared in my mind again, but they were hazy and fragmented. That voice before I crossed the street. I couldn't make sense of it all. 

As I pondered my next move, a scratching sound came from the door. My heart skipped a beat, and my legs cautiously brought me to the door. Through the keyhole I saw the sankakujuu still outside, pawing at the door, its three horns scraping against the wood. But my caution evolved into fear when two more came from the brush nearby. If they escaped this door, they would cause trouble within my mother’s apartment. Not to mention how mad she would be again. 

Taking a deep breath, I unlocked the door and swung the door open. I came out screaming, hollering whatever I could do. But the three sankakujuu were not impressed by my aggressive noises. My eyes closed. 

An arrow sang through the air. I forced my eyes open to see it strike one of the creatures in the head, causing it to whine and whimper. My sight darted back and forth as more arrows came from one side of the woods, as two of the sankakujuu retreated backward. A man appeared in front of me, wielding an axe that seemed taller than me. 

Once the remaining sankakujuu saw that its companions fled the scene, it too, let out a whimper and turned around. Another person appeared from where the arrows flew, this time a woman holding a curved bow. As I stood there grounded, the man and woman helped me onto my feet. Then I heard that same voice echo inside my head. 

“If you wish to keep your life on the other side, then protect it with your life.” 

[System Announcement]

Kawari

Level 0

“If the door is destroyed, there will be no second chance to return.”

8