011 Home, sweet home
2.6k 12 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the way back, I start preparing the camp. The most important things come first. A bath! And by a bath, I mean a small basin where the spring water can accumulate. A bathtub only makes sense if you can heat the water.

Maybe I can make a fireplace under the basin. But then I'd have to build a chimney, too. Otherwise, the cave will be smoked pretty quickly.

Additionally, I build a wall in front of the bath as a privacy screen. I am not confident enough to present myself with my new body to others. Especially not before Siegward.

Meanwhile, I have a rough estimate of how fast my mana will recharge. I reckon that it takes two hours to get from 0 back to my maximum of 200 mana. The only question that remains is whether I can somehow increase the capacity. Otherwise, I have to try to stay below 200 all the time to not waste anything. At least as long as there is so much work to do.

Next, I will create three bedrooms with two bunks each. Since they are made of stone, I use the pelts taken from the goblins as mattresses. That way, the beds are not quite so hard. And another fur serves as a door.

Why did I make six bunks and not just five? I plan to create another dwarf with Create Life later. At least if skill allows me to do so now.

After using half of my mana again, I notice something. Up until now, we've only talked about my memories. Or rather, the lack of my memories. But is it the same with the others?

"Isgard, tell me. Do you remember anything before the dungeon? After all, you two have also a name."

Isgard looks thoughtful for a while before finally replying.

"I can't remember much. I know you are our mistress. And it is our duty to protect you. But beyond that, everything is a blur."

"It's the same for me, mistress." - Siegward

"Blurred memories? Sounds to me like there's more to it than that. It would be different if you didn't have any memories..."

Again, I found no answers, but I have more questions. Since there's no point in brooding about this any further. I try to distract myself.

"Chloe, Paula. How many arrows did you manage to retrieve?"

Since Chloe still doesn't like me, as usual, Paula answers my question.

"We now have 20 arrows each. Our arrow bundles are gone. But we were able to retrieve the arrowheads."

I wonder if I should make more arrows. If necessary, I could even make the tips out of stone. But what I'm missing are the feathers. Perhaps tomorrow I can send them hunting for birds? It would also be helpful to have more bows. Not exactly a typical weapon for dwarves, but easy to make. Maybe I can try crossbows later.

Halfway back to the dungeon, we start collecting branches and twigs for a campfire. In order not to be wholly fogged in, I slightly slant the ceiling near the cave entrance. That should help, at least as long as we leave the hidden door open.

Afterwards, I remember something fundamental. A toilet! So, I build a classic outhouse next to the improvised bathroom. There too I make a small basin for some spring water. And turn some of the goblins' loincloths into toilet paper. With the rest, I make towels for washing.

The toilet paper I can re-absorb together with the excrements. I just mustn't think too much about it when I do that... I made the toilet seat out of wood, sitting out of stone would be too cold. And would probably only lead to haemorrhoids.

When we get back to the base of the mountain, Chloe is stumped that she can't find the entrance. She seems to be doubting her tracker skills and starts mumbling to herself.

"The fact that you can't find the entrance reassures me a little. You better help me open this door."

I smile a little when I say that. Then I lean against the rock face. Together we can easily open the door. But after we are in the cave and close the door again, a big problem arises.

"I don't know how it is with you, dwarves. But it's pitch black in here, and I can't see my hand in front of my eyes." - Chloe

"Sorry, I hadn't thought of that. Wait a minute, here we go."

Before I had a body, I couldn't see in the dark either. Apparently, I'm also taking advantage of my racial skills by using Dungeon View.

I create a few fist-sized stones in the shape of cut gemstones and make them glow with the help of Infuse Mana and Light Magic. Just like I did with the first corridor in my dungeon.

Once again, the two girls stare at me in disbelief. As much as I love this sight, shouldn't they soon be immune to these kinds of surprises?

Paula was the first one to reach her composure again.

"You can make Stones of Light just like that? How long can they shine? And could you take them out of the dungeon?"

Looks like the stones are worth a lot. Maybe I can make money off of them? I need to find out more about that.

"A day, I think? You can take them outside without any trouble. But they must be replenished with mana on a regular basis... But I think I can make some to absorb ambient mana or sunlight..."

I have no idea how I know that. The knowledge must come through some kind of skill. It's a pretty strange feeling when you remember something you never learned. But I take every advantage I can get.

"Stones that shine a day are already worth a lot. But those that recharge themselves are worth a small fortune. I'm no expert, but they're worth at least their weight in gold!" - Paula

Paula looks pretty excited about it. But I see some problems with it. At that price, they're probably hard to find on the market. And if I go into a town right now and try to sell a lot of them. It' likely to draw a lot of attention to me.

So, I have to find a trustworthy merchant somehow. Another item on my to-do list. But at least now I have a way to make money without too much effort.

"You wouldn't happen to know of a trader who would be interested in buying something like this?"

"Leave it to me, I know just the person!"

What was that? Paula's eyes practically sparkled when she said that. Did she only now realise that I really won't hurt them? Or is it something else... I have a bad feeling. I'm not gonna end up in some boutique where some crazy woman wants to put me in cute dresses? If this is it, I have to stand up for myself. Isgard would be on my side, right?

I spread the Stones of Light across the room to illuminate it. And then give the others a tour of our new home. It's still a cave, but after I've smoothed the floor, it feels much better.

Next up is the campfire. We piled up the branches and twigs and put some of them into a fireplace I prepared. But apparently, none of us is very experienced in making fires. And while Chloe's struggling, I've been trying to work magic to help out.

I don't know if it's because I can't do fire magic. ...or the fact that I can't make fire just like that. But my attempts have been unsuccessful. It took Chloe almost 15 minutes to scorch an ember.

But at that moment, I was able to feel the spark. And when I put Infuse Mana on it, it turned into a huge flame. Chloe wasn't too thrilled about that. Since she got spooked and landed on her butt.

"Waah, what was that?"

"You learned the Fire Magic School. From now on, you will be able to manipulate fire and heat."

Before I get side-tracked by the message. Which for some reason, no longer has a blue background? Might have something to do with my blessing? I'd better apologise to Chloe.

"I'm sorry I tried to help you with your work. I've never rigged a fire before, and when the embers came up, it happened so fast..."

I'm trying to put on as apologetic a face as I can. Which is pretty easy for me, because I'm really sorry.

"Hmph. You better be sorry too. You almost singed my hair."

She seems to like me a little more now. Or at least to despise me less. At least Paula appears to think the whole thing is funny.

But back to the message. It said I could manipulate fire and heat, not create it. Maybe with more practice, I could ignite something by heating it. But apparently, I need some kind of combustible material to create flames... So much for my pyromaniac tendencies.

Maybe I'll have more success with ice magic, at least the humidity should be enough. I was always a Frost Mage at heart anyway.

Now that the bonfire's lit, we'll send Siegward to wash up. Afterwards, it's us girls' turn. I hope my heart can stand it... After all, excessive nosebleeds are not real.

70