024 A skirmish in the grasslands
1.8k 6 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Last chapter for this week, I need some prep time and will be back on Monday.

Siegward POV

"You two up front, you're the vanguard. And you two are the rearguard. Lumberjacks with me."

We'll keep a distance from the narrow trail that runs through the forest nearby. To avoid unnecessary glances. Since the loggers had recently spotted a trading caravan taking this path. Which is why I'm sure there must be a settlement in that direction.

Also it's about time we got some more soldiers. Though not much has happened so far, it seems to be changing. And when shit hits the fan, a few civilians with improvised weapons won't be enough.

While I can understand the reasons for Her Highness' decisions, that doesn't change my concerns much. When in doubt, her safety is the only thing that really matters.

And while I can't remember the details. I'm sure we've nearly failed in this task before. But I'll be damned if I could remember what happened back then.

Maybe I will get a flashback like Her Highness and my sister when the temple is completed? At the very least, the possibility would be there.

Nevertheless, my sister could talk her out of coming along. She's always been good at controlling her moods. I don't remember much about it, but I'm sure she was...

But I must at least convince Her Highness that we need better weapons and equipment. While we now have iron axes, they are tools, not actual weapons. And only Her Highness and my sister wear armour, even if it's just gambeson. But still far better than no armour at all...

We were on the road for about two hours before we reached the end of the forest. And the vanguard was already waiting for me, behind a bush for cover.

"Did you find anything yet?"

A black-haired huntress, the smallest of them, answers me. While she continues to survey the area.

"So far, nothing, sir. But the grass is high enough so we can move on undetected."

I think about my options for a moment, but there is actually not much to decide. If there's a threat to us in the area, I need to find out as much as I can about it.

"Agreed, move forward. But stay in sight."

And so we left the forest behind us and moved on towards the pillar of smoke on the horizon.

Although the grass isn't really high enough to hide us. But if we lay down, we would be invisible. There are also a lot of bushes and shrubs that provide additional cover.

We walk another half hour before the vanguard stops again. So I let all the others kneel down and go ducked forward to find out what they have found.

"What did you find?"

"Humans."

Did they attack the village? "How many?"

"A group, at least five. They're coming towards us."

I'm gonna rise up a little bit and take a closer look. And these are definitely not the attackers. Looks more like villagers on the run. And given how fast they're going, they're probably being followed.

"Okay, split up, both sides. Hunters on the outside. I want them to pass through us. Attack on my command."

Even if there are many pursuit craft, an ambush should be enough. And if there are too many of them, we can still lay low.

Village girl POV

"Don't stop when they catch up with us, that's it."

The head hunter warned us something strange was going on. But it's not like we could do anything about it. The village chief even increased the number of guards. But there were just so many...

Mother just told me to take my siblings and the neighbour's children. And to leave the village through the second gate. We weren't the only ones, but we split up to avoid being discovered so quickly.

Which didn't help us very much. I only hope that the other groups had more luck. But they haven't caught up with us yet. And when we reach the forest, maybe we can lose them.

At least that's what I keep telling myself. The truth is, I know they'll catch up with us eventually. Unless they get tired of chasing us. Another thing I keep telling myself.

It would be great if we ran into a trading caravan, but they left the village days ago for the town.

"Attack!"

The sudden shout behind me almost makes me stumble. Aren't we alone here in the grasslands? But the first yell is followed by many more, and it doesn't take long before I can hear the sound of a battle.

Confused by the sudden events, I stop and turn around to see what is going on. Although I know that I should actually keep running, but for some reason, I cannot.

Maybe we are fortunate. A group of adventurers from the town perhaps, are they here on patrol? Sometimes they visit the village to replenish their supplies. Because it's cheaper to buy from us than it is to buy from the merchants.

But what I see only confuses me further. The unexpected rescuers are all smaller than me! But they are definitely not children, because half of them have beards. Many of them are even longer than grandpas.

Are they dwarves? Grandpa once told me about them. When he was an adventurer in his youth, he was in a group with a dwarf. Even if dad thinks it's nonsense...

Siegward POV

Damn, these beasts really want to know. There's at least twenty of them, and all just to chase five kids. But we have the advantage, they are totally focused on the chase and completely ignore everything else.

The hunters have already nocked their arrows and are only waiting for my order. I wait until the gnolls have almost reached us and give the order. This way, the hunters cannot accidentally hit us.

"Attack!"

Four arrows fly off, and three enemies fall to the ground. They're only hunting bows, but their hide isn't thick enough to stop the arrows. Only one of them was lucky enough to survive the hit.

The hunters have already nocked again and are firing more arrows at these ugly monsters. While I jump up together with the loggers and rush at them.

Even if they are tools, an axe is still a lethal weapon. And my mace is no less dangerous.

As I stand in front of the first enemy, I unceremoniously smash his right kneecap. One of the significant advantages of being smaller than your opponent. They can hardly protect themselves from attacks on their legs.

Especially since many of these gnolls don't have a weapon, but use their claws to attack. Which robs them of their greatest advantage. Their greater range. Without a weapon, it doesn't help them much that their arms are longer than ours...

I end my opponent's whimpering with a well-aimed blow to the head. And duck beneath a further claw attack.

So as not to waste time, I swing my mace upwards. And by an (un)lucky chance I hit the monster between his legs. He lets out a heartbreaking scream and topples over.

The hunters have caught six more and the loggers do their blood craft with their axes. And after I smash another leg and skull, it's over. The whole fight lasted no more than a few minutes.

I wipe some blood off my face with my hand. But I'll probably only make it worse by doing so. And I'll go find the kids. Did they keep running, or are they still here? Hopefully, I won't have to look for them. I need some answers.

And actually, not far from the scene of the fight, there's a girl. Looking at me with big eyes while holding a smaller child by the hand.

Village Girl POV

I can't believe it. These dangerous monsters that have overrun this entire village have been slaughtered here with no effort at all. And the Dwarves weren't even half as many as the gnolls!

And now one of them comes towards me, with a blood-soaked mace and blood-stained face. What am I going to do? Run away? But I've been running so long, and I'm tired...

I'm still trying to process what just happened when the dwarf speaks to me in a deep voice.

"Are you okay, girl?"

I try to answer, but not a sound comes out of my mouth. Which is why I'm only nodding.

"Don't worry, we got them all. Are there any more survivors?"

I nod first, but then I shake my head. I'm not sure if any of the others made it...

"You're not sure, but there might be others, right?"

I nod again. Still not able to speak.

"All right. You two stay with them while we try to find others."

The dwarf points to two dangerous-looking axe fighters. They are no less bloodied than he is. They got some minor wounds, though, which only makes them look even more scary.

I fall to my knees next and hug my siblings. Together we cry for what feels like an eternity. It is over! We have survived!

I just hope we're not the only ones. Mum, Dad, please, you must be all right.

57