028 Nothing but trouble 3
1.6k 12 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning I had two stoneshapers and an imperial guardsman. I still lack the equipment to equip soldiers properly, but I will need professional fighters sooner rather than later.

The Guardsman was one of the bigger and more muscular among the female dwarves. It wouldn't surprise me if there were minimum standards for recruitment. After all, the Imperial Guard is not only one of the showpiece forces but is also in charge of protecting the Imperial Family.

And while I wasn't entirely sure what Isgard and Siegward's duties used to be back then. The question became obsolete after the Guard reported for duty.

Isgard was captain and Siegward her second in command. And while they knew that for sure, I had never bothered to ask them. At least I always did the right thing by keeping Isgard at my side and sending Siegward off to do other tasks.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to maintain the population balance. Obviously, I need more soldiers right now, but that won't work in the long run. We are currently 19 people in total, and 3 of them are soldiers. In addition, there are 4 hunters, and a cook wich are responsible for the food supply and 10 craftsmen.

This is too many soldiers, but because of the small total number, I can afford it at the moment at least. However, I think that for now I will create more guardsmen. If necessary, they can also help with other work. And in the long run, I can also correct the ratio again. So it is decided that at least for today I will create two more guardsmen.

Next, I'll set off with the two stoneshapers to the current end of the tunnel. Whereby I become aware of some problems. It takes almost half an hour to get there on foot. And back here the air gets pretty thin. Especially when you consider that besides the two magicians, there are also people with wheelbarrows who have to work to remove the rubble.

Additionally, I have to supply more Stones of Light with mana. Although the two mages can help me with this, it reduces the mana available for the actual digging. The tunnel is also only one meter wide, which makes transport even more difficult. But the main problem remains fresh air.

"Your Highness, I think it would be best if we regularly made small openings to the outside in the sidewall of the tunnel for the fresh air supply. If we do it properly, they should be virtually invisible from the outside. And to remove the debris, we should create a larger opening. And when we close it later, there's nothing left but the rubble to indicate we've done any work here."

Herta has the right idea. However, I'll have to come up with something better in the long run. Because otherwise, it's not possible to move a part of the city into the mountain. I could work with air openings in the ceiling, then the warm air would rise and suck in new air from outside. But will that be enough? Probably I would have to do something with the help of bellows, maybe driven by water power?

"Agreed. But be careful when you make the opening. It's always best to keep someone looking out so that you're not being watched. Or worse, be attacked."

Now that the rubble is being removed by workers all the time, I won't have to waste mana on making limestone bricks. I could only unload them in front of the cave entrance anyway, where they were then transported by the ox cart towards the construction site. And making the bricks had used as much mana as the excavation.

The only problem that remains is that I still have to spend mana on expanding my territory. But at least it seems to have no maintenance costs. But the benefits of being able to see everything within my territory and to use magic from a distance are too great not to do so.

So far, I have yet to see any limitations on that regard. But I doubt it will continue forever in this way. On the one hand, it seems limited to one level. If I were to develop a second level, I would probably have to claim that as well. And in addition, I doubt that the range is unlimited. But as long as I don't hit the limit, it doesn't really matter.

"I will leave you in command here, Herta. If there's any problem, let me know."

"Yes, Your Highness."

So I'm on my way back to the cavern with Isgard. And might as well use the time to chat with her.

"I assume Siegward has already departed?"

"Indeed, Your Highness. He has taken the guardsmen, the hunters and the loggers. And I assume we'll have the first report when we return."

"I sincerely hope he is able to recover the bodies of the gnolls. It would be a great help if we didn't have to waste food on Create Life. Especially since the hunters are currently unable to practice their actual profession."

"You worry too much, Your Highness. There's no reason why the gnolls would suspect us here. Even if they miss the twenty dead men, they'll probably blame it on a caravan instead. And since there's no work going on at the construction site, it would confuse them at best. Besides, the construction site is an hour away. And the entrance to the cave is hidden."

"You're probably right, but I can't help it. Besides, it's my job to worry about these kinds of things. At least the grain we brought with us helps us with the food supply. Even though we've stockpiled considerably more meat at the moment."

"This will improve once the trade caravan arrives, Your Highness. But we should keep an eye on the route. It would be extremely bad if they were attacked by the gnolls."

"I don't expect them for a week at the earliest. So we still have time to investigate the situation. But you're right, it would be terrible if that happened. Not just for them, but for us, too."

Back in the cave, I take a quick look at the carpenters' progress. Apparently, they've decided to divide the work. While one of them works on the bows. The second one started preparing the planks for the shields. And it looks like it's going to be a very laborious process.

She has to cut each plank individually with a hand saw. Saw through the whole length first, then straighten the sides. Since the trunk is round. Not that I could do anything to improve the situation at the moment. Except for magic of course, but the mana is better kept for the tunnel work.

Probably I should add a sawmill to the list of things I have to build. There is a river near the construction site, after all. And driving a saw with a water wheel is really not witchcraft.

But again all the problems I have at the moment come together. The tunnel is more critical. And even if I would start right away, it would reduce the working time on the weapons and shields. And if we are attacked, the sawmill is entirely defenceless...

I'll sit at the dinner table and massage the bridge of my nose. I really have nothing but troubles. It would be nice if things worked out the way I want them to...

Next, I'm going back to planning the new halls and accommodations. After all, I can't just dig up caves. And after a while I'm interrupted by a messenger, it's the new guardsman. Hopefully, it will be good news this time.

"Your Highness. Vice-Captain Siegward sends the following message. We have reached the scene of yesterday's battle without incident. And so far, there is no sign of the enemy. Which is why we have now begun the process of recovering the bodies. Next, we will send scouts towards the attacked village."

This is indeed good news. Let's hope it stays that way for a while.

"Very well, you are dismissed."

The guardsman salutes and leaves the cave again. And before I can go on working, Isgard addresses me.

"Your Highness, I just remembered something. Until now, the tips of our spears and arrows have been made only of stone. Since we have iron, we should probably use it."

I think about it for a while, but I cannot disagree with her analysis.

"You are right. But we need a blacksmith for this. And I don't know if we have the tools to do it. We definitely need charcoal for processing. And I'm not sure how long it takes to make charcoal. I do have a rough idea of the process. But if I try trial and error, it will probably take forever. So we need a professional charcoal maker for that."

That gives me an idea. I search through the possible categories for all professions again. If there are earth mages, perhaps there are fire mages as well. I've only used my fire magic to light campfires so far, but I know it can increase the heat.

And it won't be long before I find what I'm looking for. The profession is called Firesmith. I don't know if it works, but it's worth a try. But I have to wait until the second guard is ready.

48