Chapter 9: Fearsome Opponents
231 10 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As you can see, my chapter is totally on time. Anyways, I play around with some different writing techniques, mostly the em-dash and sound effects, so I hope they work. Enjoy!

In my dreams, I continue to solve the puzzle. Ash is still there, helping to continue the process. Progress is slow tonight, with many fewer pieces finding a place to stay. I do find out the meaning of the second blob—Fear. After hours of sorting and adding to it, ash adds a piece to it that completes the core of the image, revealing its nature. More than half of the puzzle remains empty, but I have more places to put pieces with everyone that gets placed. But only a short time after the blobs nature is revealed, my mind moves on to the waking world, a mission to complete.

✧     ✧      ✧

I wake up quickly, my mind still lingering on my plans from the night before. I look over to my clock, reading 6:37 am. ‘Well, I’ve got time, may as well get a run in before spending the rest of the day lying down,’ I muse.

I get dressed, put on shoes, and walk outside. The sun is on the horizon, peaking over the hills and trees. ‘You know, I never did figure out what her favorite color is,’ I comment internally as I begin my warm-up. Dynamics go well—if dully—then I move to the run. Throughout, I’m mainly thinking through the practice from yesterday. The memories are the in the same hazy state they always get in after entering that focus state, my whole mind directed toward action rather than recording. But a 30-minute run is the perfect time to disentangle something like that, allowing it to guide me in today’s quest.

I watch the movements over and over, deciphering the moments of progress from those of stagnation and decline. Slowly as the run continues, the technique begins to crystalize in my mind, allowing me to visualize it with increasing clarity. The moves first appeared like a shade moving in the dark, but the light continuously brightened, and the figure continued to get sharper. Soon I see each thrust with clarity, able to adjust to movements in my head and see the resulting changes. I can see how one can start in any of the first three guards, strike within a wide range, and then step, pushing their advantage while changing into a guard appropriate for the new situation. 

Unfortunately, I can’t visualize beyond this, due to a lack in both experience and knowledge. I only know striking, stepping, and guarding, while I don’t know how to block or parry, nor any other means to react to an opponent. ‘I suppose the expectation is either that the confrontation with a slime will only take one move, or they are not a threat as long as you keep a spear lengths distance,’ I muse.

The scene in front of me fizzles out as my focus wanes, bringing the real world back into focus. I see that I’m approaching the final hill before the forest ends. Looking down at my watch, I observe that my pace is at 7:10. ‘Not bad given my lacking focus. I should probably go on a longer run tomorrow.’

I finish out the run at the same pace, coming to a stop on the driveway. I click stop, allowing the watch to display my run’s statistics.

*Beep*

Distance:  5.07 mi

Time: 36:25

Pace: 7:11/mi

I nod at the time, satisfied with the pace, for now. I come inside, looking back at my watch as I walk through the door, finding that the time is now 7:31 am. I determine that I have time to shower and eat, but not enough to roll or stretch. ‘I might be sore when I come out of the pod,’ I realize. 

Not having any meaningful way to change the situation, I continue on with my plan of action. I take a shower, this time pondering the two dreams I’ve had since entering the pod. I try to decipher what I remember, but I only remember the very end of them, and even that is fragmented. The shower is quick, only 5 minutes, so I go downstairs and take the time to make myself a nice omelet for breakfast.

I dice up some turkey, onions, peppers, and mushrooms and throw them in the frying pan while adding some olive oil. While they sizzle, I crack—I look back at the frying pan and stir the ingredients ‘Ehhh… looks like I need 3,’—I crack 3 eggs and mix them in a bowl. I return to the pan, determining the ingredients to be about halfway done after a quick stir, and clean off the chopping board in the sink while I wait for them to finish. Once done, I stir the ingredients one final time before pouring in the eggs and placing the lid on top. I then get out a plate, clean the knife, sponge off the counter, and wait another 15ish seconds before using a spatula to get the omelet to disconnect from the pan. I flip the omelet, let it cook for another 30 seconds, then plate it and eat!

“Ummm Umm~,” I mutter while finishing the meal.

Now done eating, I pop back over to the sink, clean the pan and plate, and walk back to my bedroom. It is now 8:12, so I change into my suit immediately and hop into the pod. I’m again surprised by the impossible softness of the interior as I settle in. I again lose all sense of anything as the softness consumes me, allowing the many functions the pod needs to work to activate beyond my notice. The blue light activates—the light somehow less irritating than the in-game portals—beaming into my eyes. I ponder, ‘Perhaps it’s because of the soft foam taking my focus, or just because the brightness is impossibly bright in-game,’ before the light consumes my consciousness, whisking me away to the game.

✧     ✧      ✧

I open my eyes, finding myself back in the empty field that the system has informed me is called my local access point, whatever that means. The three orbs are still in front of me, and the black orb is still behind me. Before anything else can occur the system speaks.

[Welcome back, Plus.]

[There are some announcements that have been made since your last session. Would you like to hear them?]

‘Huh, well, that’s new,’ I muse, ‘I guess the game is still very much new, and on new tech as well, it makes sense that new info and likely updates would need to be introduced over time to keep the game working.’ After that thought, I decide I likely want to hear them, given that they may be important—being that they were announced and all.

“Yes”

[Players have now been given the ability to communicate with each other within their local access point. A player may send messages or make calls, but this information can only be interacted with and produced within the local access point.]

[Penumbra will be making an announcement regarding the future of this game and its community at 8 pm on Wednesday, the 5th of June. Additionally, the issue with pods needing long periods for updates and charging before booting has been solved.]

[Patch notes:

…]

Then the system begins to detail a long list of patches that have been made. After 30 seconds of non-stop Patches, I say, “Stop!” The system then stops giving me back my ability to hear my own thoughts. ‘Well, the first one is great. I need to see if I can contact Ash! The second announcement is intriguing, but I’ll think about that later.

“System, send message to AshenLeaf.”

[Confirmed, what is your message?]

“Ash, I just found out that I can send messages. I’m in my local access point. Send me a message when you get this so we can meet up in the lobby.”

[Ok, was your message: “Ash, I just found out that I can send messages. I’m in my local access point. Send me a message when you get this so we can meet up in the lobby.”]

[Please confirm.]

“Yes”

[Message sent]

[You have no messages]

Task done, I think about the second announcement. ‘Well, it seems that the Press reliance set for Wednesday as well as its purpose, just became public knowledge. The Friday one still is a mystery. Well, it will definitely be interesting to see Penumbra’s plans, especially with its partnership with the government… Ohh, I just realized that I’ll be able to play with Alex on Wednesday instead of Thursday! That’ll be fun.’

Now with nothing to do, I practice the spear movements while waiting for Ash to return. After a few minutes, the system suddenly says:

[You have received a message from SilkenStep.]

[Would you like to hear it?]

‘Huh, that was the other player we met up with in combat class. She was going to meet us at the guild, guess she just saw the announcement. May as well,’ I decide.

“Yes.”

[Hello, this is SilkenStep. I just logged in and saw the announcement about messaging. Can you confirm our meet-up at the guild?]

I listen to the message, happy to see that our other member will be able to meet us at the guild. ‘I should prob—’

[Do you wish to respond?]

‘Yes, that’s what I was saying in my head system!’ I grumble before saying aloud, “Yes.”

[Confirmed, what is your message?]

‘Guess I’ll just say that I’ll be there?’

“I can confirm that I will be able to arrive on time. AshenLeaf has yet to message me, so I can’t be sure for her.” I say before thinking, ‘I should probably send a message to LionsBlaze when we leave so he can get an idea of our timing.’

[Ok, was your message: “I can confirm that I will be able to arrive on time. AshenLeaf has yet to message me, so I can’t be sure for her.”]

[Please confirm.]

“Yes”

[Message sent]

I again return to training while I wait. Minutes pass as I employ the understanding I got from the practice last night and the deciphering of that practice this morning. My movements get smoother, my strikes faster, and my accuracy greater. Overall my use of the spear gets more natural as I continue to practice. Then the system sounds again.

[You have received a message from AshenLeaf.]

[Would you like to hear it?]

After hearing Ashenleaf, I stop practicing. I take a breath to settle before replying.

“Yes”

[Hey Blue, saw your message. Glad they added this feature. I’m ready to go when you are, and I saw that I got a message from SilkenStep, so we’re all here. I’m gonna see if I can start a call.]

Right after the message finishes, the system beeps again.

[AshenLeaf has requested you join a call, Do you accept?]

‘I suppose she succeeded,’ I think before responding in the affirmative.

[Joining call]

“Hey, Blue, I got the call working,” Ash says, her voice seemingly coming from a random spot a few feet away.

[SilkenStep has Joined]

“Hello, I guess we’re all on,” SilkenStep comments.

“So it would seem,” I respond. After a second, I add, “So do you want to just go to the guild now, 'cause I don’t really see the point in waiting.”

“Sounds good to me,” says Ash.

“I can be there in 5 minutes,” says SilkenStep.

“Alrighty, see you there,” I say, completing the conversation.

[AshenLeaf has ended the call]

New plan made, I touch the black orb.

✧     ✧      ✧

Once I walk out my door into the lobby, I look over at Ash’s door to see if she’s here yet. Within a second, her door opens, Ash walking out right after. I walk in her direction and meet her at her door.

“Fancy seeing you here,” I joke.

“Fancy indeed. It must be a plan from the heavens,” She returns.

We continue to joke around as we move off toward the guild. ‘It’s become a greeting for us to banter,’ I ponder between jokes, ‘Not that I mind, but it is odd how quickly we developed it.’ We continue walking—trading jokes and having fun all the while. Once we enter the market, we begin talking through party chat, introducing a new topic to talk about. “It sounds like your voice is coming from the inside of my brain,” I say mentally.

Same here. I guess this is how the devs think telepathy would work,” She responds. Then she must have realized that none of what was said was a joke, as she quickly adds, “Or maybe there just used to the sound of thoughts echoing through their hollow skulls.” Back on track, we continue to joke around on our way to the guild.

I note that the market has more people today than yesterday. Though not a massive increase, just a noticeable one. The streets having moved from a 5 to a 6.5 on the crowd scale—still traversable, but definitely not easy in the major thoroughfares. Regardless we make it to the guild in about 7 minutes. 

I open the doors wide, Ash following in behind. Off to the side of the entrance, SilkenStep is leaning against the wall, her eyes closed. Ash and I walk over to her before calling out.

“Hey SilkenStep, ready to go?” I ask

“Huh? Oh hey!” she says with a small wave, “Yeah, let's go get a quest.”

We go to the board, checking out the quests. After some back and forth, we decide on a slime quest that pays four coppers. It requires us to kill and collect ten slimes worth of goo, stored in flasks that the guild will provide. We walk to the attendant, confirming the quest, and she hands us the flasks. We split the flasks between us—Ash and Silky taking 3 each, while I take the remaining 4. She also gives us each a spear with an iron tip. We also tap SilkenSteps party ring, joining her into our party.

Once we leave the guild, we begin to talk.

So, how did you two do with the spear lessons,” SilkenStep asks.

We were both a part of the first group to start learning to strike, and I feel confident in my ability to hit a target,” I respond before asking, “How about you?

I was in that group as well. I felt comfortable with the spear by the end of the session. I was able to use both hands to help with the aim while using moderate power by the end of the session.

I got to the point that I could use both hands individually, but I had only just started learning to use both when I was force-logged out,” Ash adds.

I was able to use both hands with some force before my force log out, but I practiced with a broom at home, so I can probably use more force now,” I comment.

...

Sooo, do you play any sport SilkenStep? Because I think that most of the advanced group did?” Ash asks into the silence.

Yeah, I’m a Softball pitcher… What about you two?

I mostly run Cross Country and Track, but I’ve played Volleyball as well,” I respond.

And I play Volleyball and do Archery,” says Ash.

...

So, do you two, like, know each other in real life?” SilkenStep asks.

Nah, we met yesterday in the lobby,” Ash responds.

Huh, wouldn’t have guessed… How’d you break the ice?” SilkenStep asks, somewhat breaking the ice.

“Funny story, that. Basically, I made Plus blush so hard that their mouth failed at existing. Then they tried to respond by acting all smart when they finally regained the ability to speak,” Ash responds with some humor, switching to speaking aloud as we enter the tunnels.

“Well, that’s definitely a… non-standard way to break the ice… but I guess it worked,” SilkenStep responded.

“Yeah, it works great. Watch!” Ash exclaims before turning to me—the innocent bystander. Utilizing the fact that we’ve left the market and are in the tunnel to our door, she tackles me, attacking me with tickles.

“Hey!” I protest.

“Don’t worry, my little Blue Jay. Ash will take gooood care of you~,” Ash says while bringing herself closer to me as she sits on my stomach.

Embarrassment at the situation begins to take over again, neutralizing all means of resistance. Fortunately, a sudden savior appears to my left!

*giggle*... *giggle *giggle* “Well, your definitely right about it being funny,” comments SilkenLeaf from my left. Her words and giggles draw Ash’s attention, causing her to pull away from me just enough for my embarrassment to fade.

“Yup, my little cutie is the perfect method to break anyone’s barriers,” Ash says. Meanwhile, beneath her, I prepare my counterattack, ignoring her words. “They just freeze once the situation exceeds their limits, making them putty in my han— AHH!” I cut her off as I flip her onto the ground and begin my counter-offensive: tickles.

As Ash squirms beneath me, I declare, “Victory is mine! No longer may she claim dominance, for I have Triumphed!” All the while, I continue to tickle Ash. 

Reveling in my victory, I don’t notice when my supposed savior betrays me. I am suddenly hit from the side by a flying projectile! Before I can muster a reaction, tickles begin to rain on my poor defenseless form. 

“Alas, you’ve made the classic mistake that all victors do. You’ve let your guard down in your success, forgetting that assassins are always in wait, ready to turn your victory into the victory of another!” SilkenStep proclaims, living up to her wish to play a scout/assassin.

With Ash already taken out, and myself currently being subdued, her declaration went unchallenged, giving her the victory.

✧     ✧      ✧

Once the Ice broke, we converse more normally. We learn that SilkenStep has a dog that she loves, she is going into her sophomore year of college like Ash, and she’s played softball for six years and is actually on her college team. We tell her about ourselves, and we sorta just bond.

“Yeah, I still don’t actually know what Ash’s favorite color is. I think it’s purple, but I have no idea if I’m right,” I explain as we reach Ash’s door. 

Ash opens the door, commenting, “Yeah, it’s purple,” before walking through.

“Well, that’s one way to not receive any questions,” I note before walking through as well. 

✧     ✧      ✧

My eyes clear from the light to see Ash waiting in the middle of the portal room. In the next second, SilkenStep appears behind me.

“Leaving a poor little girl on her own, what terrible people you all are,” SilkenStep complains immediately after appearing, emphasizing her 5’3’’ height.

“Oh, I’m so sorry Silky. Are you okay~?” Ash coos.

“No! I want a chocolate!” She responds, acting her pretend age.

“I’m sorry, Silky, your gonna have to wait till we get home,” I respond, playing along.

“Oooh, look, little Blue’s trying to act all grown up~” Ash coos again while patting my head.


I pout… because of the act, obviously.

“Come along. Let's go on a little quest, see if Blue is as grown up as they think they are~” Ash says while taking out the quest tablet, it immediately flying from her hands and into the ceiling. A second later, a door appears on the wall.

“Okay, I think that’s our stop,” Ash says in a normal voice, ending the joke.

“Yep, see you on the other side,” Silky says as they jog over to the door and open it, revealing the portal. Without hesitating, Silky enters.

“I guess we best be off,” I note before walking over and entering the portal. The blinding light of portals attacking me like usual.

✧     ✧      ✧

Opening my eyes as the blinding light fades, I find myself in a forest with Silky to my right and the portal behind me. I take a step away right before Ash comes through, taking the space I just vacated. 

“Okay, ready to hunt some slimes?” I ask rhetorically.

“Yep,” they both answer. 

With spears in hand, we make a triangle—it feels like the right thing to do—and begin to explore. The trees are tall and have wide gaps between them, and the shrubs are relatively sparse, making the exploration rather straightforward in terms of walking. We walk normally, as we aren’t in combat, and we are silent… for like a minute.

“You know, I don’t think slimes can even hear,” I comment.

“Yeah, I don’t really know why I felt the need to be silent,” Silky says.

“I was just doing the same thing I do when I go hunting,” Ash says.

“...”

“Wait, you hunt?” I ask, surprised. 

“I said I did archery. Was that really such a surprise?” She asks, confused at my surprise.

“I mean, you can be an archer without going hunting. While related, they are not the same sport,” notes Silky.

“Fair. My dad’s a hunter, so it was a family thing. Good time for bonding and all that,” Ash explains.

“So… what do you hunt?” I ask, morbidly curious.

“Deer, rabbits, duck, the normal things to hunt. I just use a bow instead of a gun.”

“Do you skin them?” Silky asks, more curious than I.

“Normally, my dad does, but I know how.”

“But, like, how do you feel about… killing innocent animals,” Silky asks. At this point, I’m only half listening, more so looking for slimes.

“Well it’s all in how you thi—”

“Guys, slimes,” I exclaim, interrupting Ash, while pointing over to a clearing 30 feet to the right.

We approach them slowly, making sure that there isn’t some scare mechanic that will force us to chase them down. When we are about 10 feet away, one of the slimes suddenly turns and starts hopping in our direction. 

“I think we were spotted,” I note.

“Excellent discovery. You both ready?” Ash asks.

“Yup,” we answer.

Once the slime is 5 feet from us, some others begin to hop toward us as well. When it reaches 3 feet, Ash strikes it with her spear. It pops from the force. It’s goo spreading everywhere.

“Maybe a bit more lightly. The attendant mentioned that they pop if they are hit too hard.” I say, watching as the goo sinks into the ground, becoming almost impossible to store.

A slime approaches me one hop at a time. I watch it, waiting for it to enter my ideal striking zone. I go into second guard, prepared to strike. Once it hops into range, I attack. I hit it just off of the center, reducing the chance of a pop, still hitting the core and shattering it, killing the slime. The outer surface remains intact, preserving the goo.

Before I have time to collect it, more slimes approach. 2 are over on Silky’s side, 1 in the center for Ash, and 3 approaching me. I lift my spear and deposit the slime corpse behind me before re-establishing my guard. Instead of waiting for them to reach 3 feet, this time, I’m going to step and take out the first one at 5 feet.

They approach one at a time. There is one ahead, and the other 2 are side by side behind. Hop— 7 feet, Hop— 6 feet, Hop— 5 feet! I quickly step with my forward foot, doing a lunge, piercing the slime just off center yet again *pu-shloop* *crack*. I quickly step back, pulling out my spear, and re-establish my guard. At the same time, both slimes reach the 5 ft mark. 

The left one hops slightly earlier, reaching 4 ft first before being quickly joined by its partner. The left jumps again. It lands. I thrust. *shloop* *crack* *shloop*. I make a quick retreating step—*plop*—And I thrust. *shloop* *crack* Finally, I let out a breath.

I look up, surveying my handy work. On slime lay dead, my spear piercing it, 3 ft away. Another is dead a foot behind and slightly to the left. Finally, there is one 6ft away with a small tear in it leaking goo, also dead. I turn to see how Ash and Silky did, finding that they had also finished off their part of the wave.

I look back at the clearing, seeing more slimes approaching. All I can say is:

“Ready for another round!”

As I said above, new to the use of both the em-dash and sound effects, and action scenes in general. Tell me how it felt for you. Was it easy to follow, or really cumbersome? I'll probably come back tomorrow to polish this. I'm not entirely happy with the number of editing runs I did.

8