Chapter 11: Runes… are weird
234 8 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Changing my name on site, Yay! (the old one was invented by an 11-year-old)

The new name is Medeina

It is still Tuesday in some of the world, it counts!

Still catching up on responsibilities from the 8-day daily streak to catch up with the writathon...

Played around some more with different writing styles for present tense, starting to get a feel for this.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Looking through my notes, I can’t help but be grateful that we’d been provided a journal with the lesson. Ms. Velendra’s lecture had been quite engaging, sure. But the amount of material she covered was by no means small. 

Flipping through the pages, I focus on critical moments that form the foundation of what she taught. I start back at the first page, her introduction to what crafting is…

“While my discipline may be referred to as crafting, it is, in many respects, something so much greater. Crafting, in large part, is the application of magic through a medium rather than yourself. Sure, there is much more to it, but that is what it is at its roots.”

Magic, as you will come to learn, is the enforcing of your will upon the environment around you, often supplemented through the use of Glyphs—learn about them in your magic class. To achieve this change, your internal harmony will be used to fuel and enact this change. Conversely, Crafting is when one or more of the aspects of magic—the aforementioned will, fuel, and intent—are replaced entirely with an outside medium. This could be something like using the natural energies in the environment to fuel a working of magic—the most basic form of an array—or using Runes to enforce the will—a basic ritual. This is why, despite crafting being the all-encompassing term—all of these methods are means to Craft a working of magic rather than weave it yourself—there are many others. Some you may be familiar with are Runemancy, Alchemy, Enchanting, Ritualism, and many more.”

The scene appears vividly in my mind. The distinction between magic and crafting had been intriguing, and the reason for the name curious. Overall, it helps explain the importance of why she began her lecture with a basic explanation of Runes…

“Runes, they are the language of magic crafted for mortal hands. They are the means to make the magic that flows throughout our world malleable to us without having to actively take control. Runes are 2-dimensional designs with very basic meanings and can interact directly with the flow of magic. Their design is a 2D representation of a Glyph—for anyone who has gotten that far in magic class. This is important because they hold a fraction of the complexity of a Glyph, often only holding a single meaning in a specific use rather than the ever-adapting meanings of Glyphs that lend them their versatility.”

“Anyway, enough rambling. Runes, for the reasons mentioned earlier, are very specific in their meaning and use. This means that they need long chains to specify a specific action without the whole working going haywire. This is important because, for pretty much any crafted magical working, you will need Runes to make it work. With that said, let me explain what crafting is…”

Unfortunately, while I’m sure that the first part of her lecture about what Runes are is significant, I know far too little about magic to parse it effectively. Fortunately, after her explanation of crafting, she explains how Runes are used in crafting.

“As I’ve mentioned, Runes are 2D. This means that they can be carved, painted, drawn, or woven. This is important because Runes help to tell the magic what to do in the working that you are attempting to craft. Even if your goal is only to draw in magic to help you fuel a normal spell, the act of drawing the magic will be a crafted magical working. I’ll give an example:

 Let's say that you're doing this working where you have a special material—we’ll say a crystal—that will naturally draw in magic. That’s great! However, for that magic to be made available to you such that you can use it, it will need to be brought into harmony with you. Since you are trying to fuel the spell, this is not something you will be doing. Thus the act of harmonizing will need to be done by something else. In this case, you would have Runes that would draw the magic into a flow that is similar enough to your own to harmonize, fueling this with a portion of the magic being drawn. Runes here act as the will, forcing the magic to follow a path in order to pacify it, the crystal as fuel, and yourself as intent any time you take energy from the artificial flow.”

The example was hard to follow, but looking back, I think I get it a bit. She was trying to show how Runes are being used to bend the natural magic, making it available for the mage to use, something that you wouldn’t have even thought to need in the initial explanation of the task to be done by the crystal. 

After, she gave some more insight into the specifics of how Runes can be used in both the will and intent aspects of a magic working. While useful, I will refer to them when I actually need them.

Flipping through the many pages of notes—she spoke extensively about how Runes can be used to reduce the load of a mage by offloading the will or intent of a spell—I come across a section detailing a particularly good explanation she gave on Runes that pertains to me.

“You can think of Runes as pre-prepared spells. The Runes allow you to tell the magic what to do before you want it to do it, so you don’t need to focus on doing so when you actually want it done. This is important because, since you are no longer telling the magic what to do, you also don’t need to be paying for the working at the time. This means that if you make the Runes enforce the will of a working, you no longer need to do so, plus, the working can be fueled by another source if you can make it work. You can even have the Runes impart intent, enforcing the new change. 

This means that for those of you who have yet to master mana manipulation fully, you can get Runes and other reagents to do the spells for you. This will be expensive as you are replacing every step of the spellcasting process. You need to replace the will—taking hold of the magic around you, the fuel—the mana, and the intent—forming a new shape with the magic you’ve taken control of. But it can be done. Plus, as you master more and more of mana manipulation, you will no longer need to replace as much of the spell.”

Beyond this, the rest of her lecture on Runes are technicalities, so I flip to her lecture on basic rituals.

“By now, you should understand Runes, their uses, their importance, and their essential nature to Crafting. I’ve also mentioned that with them and the use of some reagents, you can cast spells even if you can’t manipulate mana. The epitome of this concept is the ritual. A ritual at its most basic is a working that takes already pacified mana and uses it to fuel a working of magic that is directed by the Runes in the ritual. This means that the Runes are providing the intent. They do all the bending and twisting of the mana to form the spell and do the job. This can be taken up a notch by using reagents to help fuel the working. To take this to its logical extreme, you can have another set of Runes that helps to enforce their will over the mana in the reagents and pass it to the next stage that enacts the spell. Without diving overmuch into the specifics, this would generally be done by having reagents that are compatible with the working, dramatically reducing the work needed on the side of the Runes to pacify and take control of the mana. 

To take a step back, even without mana manipulation, if you have a grasp of your internal harmony, you can use it to help pacify and control the mana of the reagents, reducing or even entirely removing the need for the stabilizing Runes—Runes that imbue will.

Now, the process to do this is rather complicated, so let's start with a basic one…”

From there, I have pages of different basic rituals that teach about various aspects of the use of Runes. The earlier ones teach about the high-level details of replacing will, fuel, and intent. But later ones teach about how the specific way you replace the aspects, the purpose of the working, the materials, and so much more can affect how the Runes are used. Some of the later rituals would require the mastery of mana manipulation to use, her reasoning being that they would be too hard without it, and you wouldn’t learn what they are meant to teach.

Finally, I reach the final page of notes, detailing her final remarks of the lesson…

“Now you should have an understanding of what crafting is, what Runes are, a basic understanding of how they’re used, and a basic understanding of rituals as well as all the tools you need to craft your first one. From here, you have a few paths. Once you successfully craft all 6 of the level one rituals I gave you, you will be allowed to attend my class on Runes, where I will teach you all of the most useful ones and how to put them together to craft your own unique workings. Once you complete the third level of rituals you can attend my second basic crafting class where I will teach you about the primary disciplines within crafting, from enchanting to alchemy to summoning. Finally, once you complete all 5 levels of the rituals, you can return for my lesson on rituals that will go into far more detail on rituals. 

With that, I’m done. I’m happy you decided to show up. If you have any troubles with any of these tasks, feel free to drop by during my office hours for tips. I hope you took good notes and goodbye.”

✧     ✧      ✧

Closing the notebook, I look up to see both Ash and Silky still flipping through there’s. We’re sat at a table on the dinner side of the guild waiting for LionsBlaze to show up as he sent a message that he was finishing up his last quest.

‘Nope, don’t want to look over my notes again.’

I stand up and walk out of the guild. Outside in the square, I look between the Arena and the Auction. ‘Hmm… Auction probably won’t be helpful for a while. Wonder what's going on in the area.’

The Coliseum, denoted as the Arena, has an imposing presence to it. Despite the fact that all the buildings around here are made of stone, this one somehow captures the essence of stone to a much greater degree. Its corners are sharp, its walls lack detail or decoration, and the pillars are organized and plain. The look is overall quite spartan, giving off a cold and uncaring feel. The stone reinforces this, embodying the feeling of cold, and acting as a reminder of how nothing you do will impact the structure. The stone will remain cold and lifeless, motionless through the ages, unaffected by the passing of any who cross it. 

I shake my head, re-focusing on the task I’ve given myself. I take one step, then the next, continuing my walk toward the arena within.

Inside, many rows of seats encircle a massive sand pit in the middle. To the opposite side is a raised section, seemingly built for an announcer or a person of importance to stand. Beside me is a small enclosed shop front, a board next to it displaying what looks like names and numbers in rows. A man stands at the counter, investigating me as I do him.

“Want to make a bet?”

I tilt my head, confused momentarily, before understanding dawns. ‘He’s a bookie! Guess that makes sense, given that they didn’t charge me entry. They’ve got to make money somehow.’

I look at the sign, trying to see if I can glean something from it. Alas, the language is still as foreign as before.

“I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with the language. Can you explain to me how this works?”

“Certainly. Well, we are currently running rookie matches, so the entry fee has been waived. Betting is encouraged, though the ratios are smaller, and the amount that can be bet is limited.

The next match will be held in a minute or two, one of them having their exhibition match and the other their third. Right now, the odds are 3 to 1 in favor of the returning rookie. Anything specific you have questions on?”

The Bookie provides his explanation with enthusiasm. A smile crosses his face, and energy radiates from him. The excitement held within is palpable…For some reason.

‘Well, that’s interesting. It’s smart to separate the professionals from the rookies. Gives them a chance to scout talents while keeping the best for peak times… Or at least I assume that’s why. Actually, that does make me wonder…’

“How does one go professional, or whatever is above rookie?”

“Ahh yes, to become a gladiator, you need to become officially registered with the arena. Most times, this happens through sponsorship or the Arena choosing you as a promising talent, however, you can simply pay the fee. In the case of being Sponsored or selected, you will receive training first, before attending your debut match once your ready. 

If you win enough in the gladiator league, you can qualify to join the champions league. The Champions League is where you will be given the opportunity to travel between arenas as a part of the Arena’s team. This is attractive to fighters seeking to test themselves once they reach a certain level of skill, as the Arena will pay for portal fees, something costly for almost anyone. 

This arena is particularly big due to its placement on a portal nexus. It allows us to be a level above smaller arenas in an ordinary city. That, however, is only really relevant once you are nearing the level of skill of a Champion level fighter and determining where to join. All you need to know is that due to this, there are many champions tournaments held here, which is excellent for up-and-coming gladiators who want to try to get into the champions league.

We will have one Champion’s League event once a week, but we have Champion-level matches every night.”

The Bookie seemingly gets overly excited, going into far more detail than my question warranted. Regardless, his monologue has many interesting points, particularly with regard to this ‘Champions League.’

Now curious about the level of the rookies, I make for the seats while saying, “Thank you for your explanation. I think I’ll watch the match.”

Most of the seats are vacant—likely due to the fact that it’s a rookie match—so I get a seat all the way up at the front so I can get a closer look. Seconds later, two gates on opposite sides of the arena open, revealing the combatants.

On the far side, the man, wearing a leather tunic and pants, holds a shield in his left arm and a sword in his right. On the near side is an indistinct figure wielding a spear… and that's all I can tell. They approach slowly, crossing the large field at a snail's pace compared to its size.

Eventually, the two meet in the middle. The Sword guy gets into his combat stance, shield in front and sword peaking out from behind. Spear player also assumes his combat stance, entering first guard as explained by Instructor Lenios.

The Spear player pokes at the shield of Sword guy, testing him. At first he parries and steps forward—trying to approach beyond the tip of the spear—but he quickly realizes that he can’t close the distance unless the Spear player overextends.

Alas, Sword guy doesn’t understand Spear player's plan. From my vantage point, I can see that Spear player is slowly striking higher and higher, pulling up the opponent's shield. After only 30 seconds, the situation changes rapidly.

Spear player strikes, the shield lightly parries—preparing for the next strike—meanwhile, the Spear player recovers—and lunges, striking low. Sword guy maintains his stance—his vision obstructed by the shield, masking the change—as the spear pierces his unguarded thigh. 

“Fuuuuck!” Sword guy exclaims, jumping back, pulling his shield down to defend his leg at the same time.

Spear player, undeterred, strikes for his head. The shield rises to defend, allowing the spear to pierce his other leg without issue—the spear redirected mid-strike.

“Fuuuuck!” Sword guy exclaims again, trying to retreat on two wounded legs.

Spear player, now in complete control, starts to taunt Sword guy, striking low and high over and over, tiring him out. Sword guy slows, allowing for the spear to strike his shoulder, then his foot, then to knock his shield aside to hit his heart.

“Ghaaaa!” He breathes, falling to the ground.

Suddenly the area flashes white. Sword guy’s wounds heal as a white halo appears above Spear player's head. 

“FlyingLunchBox Wins, taking his first match with a sweeping victory. His future in the area is bright indeed,” an announcer… announces from the top of the raised platform.

The fight has been a treat, keeping me enthralled to the very end. The way the Spear player utilized the defence of the Sword guy to his advantage shows the true importance of battlefield awareness, and the possible benefits of getting some fights in the Arena.

Satisfied with the intriguing performance, I rise from my seat. I walk up the stairs and exit the arena, returning to the guild.

✧     ✧      ✧

I open the doors to the guild, Ash and Silky precisely where they were when I left. I return to the table to relay the experience.

I tell them about the arena, the league, the match, and the likelihood that the player has been in Instructor Lenios’s class. 

“Well, that is certainly interesting. The arena does seem like a good way to train without dying, though that does raise the question—what happens when we die in this game?” Ash says.

“Well, I, for one, would rather take as long as possible to find out,” Silky comments.

We each nod at her statement, dying not appearing to be a particularly sought-after experience. 

“So, what do you each think about Crafting?” I ask.

“I definitely see what she meant about how everyone should know the basics. Like if you want to make any continuous effect, it seems that a small array will be a much easier way to do it. If you want a campfire, a small array can keep it going for as long as you find ways to fuel it, whereas a spell seems like you would have to constantly monitor it… At least, according to the Crafting teacher. But it does make sense,” Ash shares.

“Yeah, I also imagine that if you know that you're going to face an opponent somewhere, using arrays or something to lay a trap would be a particularly effective way to stack the odds,” Silky adds, maintaining her assassin/rogue vibe.

I nod at their thoughts, considering them against what I understood from the lesson. Before any further discourse could commence, LionsBlaze enters through the doors. 

“Hey, LionsBlaze!” Ash says rather loudly, catching his attention. 

“Hey, just finished my 6th quest. Ready to work together on the last 4?”

“Yup, I also recommend you find time for crafting. It seems like it is an important part of practicing magic based on what we learned,” Ash responds.

“Sounds good. Let me go turn in this quest so we can start on the next one. We can discuss on the way,” He says, walking off to the attendant.

As he walks over, we walk to the quest board. Ash snags another slime quest, and we meet him after he finishes turning in the quest. 

Walking along with him as we exit the guild, Ash returns to the previous topic, “So, about Crafting…”

✧     ✧      ✧

Exiting the quest portal, we find ourselves in a vast open plain. We walk forward, still discussing Crafting as we search for the slimes. 

“Yeah, I think I get what she’s saying with Runes and Glyphs. When I learned about Glyphs with Alrick earlier today, he noted how Glyphs encompass an entire concept. He explained how they are used as aids to tell the magic what you're trying to do, but you still ultimately guide the spell. One metaphor he used for explaining why using Glyphs was better than raw manipulation of magic for complex spells was pretty good. He said: Manipulating mana for a complex spell is like trying to hit an opponent with a dart. You can take the dart in your hand and throw it to the best of your ability, and with great amounts of practice and training, you may hit them. Or you can use Glyphs, which will build a ballista in front of you, calibrated to follow a firing manual you have in your hands. They both fire a dart, but one is clearly more effective, if more expensive. 

If we wanted to expand the metaphor, A very long set of Runes could also be used to set up the Ballista. It would be substantially more expensive, but you can use it to fire multiple darts rather than starting from the beginning.” LionsBlaze comments after I relayed Ms. Velendra’s explanation of Runes at the beginning of class.

The image he describes does help me get a better understanding of the different ways to manipulate mana. 

“That is interesting. I’d assume, for the sake of the metaphor, that the Glyph ballista is magically held together and falls apart after one use, saving costs. While the Rune ballista is made of wood, allow—”

“Slimes over to our right,” Silky points out, interrupting Ash.

“Hey, do you guys want to try something?” LionsBlaze asks giddily.

Suuuure,” I respond, suspicious.

“Let's have you all aggro the whole group, and try to hold them off. Meanwhile, I’ll stay back trying to cast the spell I’ve managed to get the hang of,” LionsBlaze reveals with excitement.

“Ooh!” Ash comments, intrigued.

“Yeah, when I call ready through the party, break formation for the spell to pass.”

Intrigued, we all nod, proceeding with the plan. We get close enough to agro all the slimes, bringing large, dense waves of slimes upon us. We had not done this in our previous runs—the most we’d aggroed at once was half. 

We are being overwhelmed quickly. We utilize our footwork to the max—stepping, lunging, shifting, and retreating. We move in and out of each other's strike zones, maximizing our teamwork as much as possible. We strike, stab, thrust, and pierce, trying to eliminate the slimes before they can reach us. The slimes hop closer and closer, quickly eliminating the ability to lunge forward due to their advance. 

We are huddled close—our formation collapsing—trying to fend the fiends off for a little longer. A slime hops, only a foot away, before it’s pierced. Then another and another. We try to retreat, yet they maintain the foothold, their numbers too much for us. The time they are at the one-foot line increases as the number reaching there grows. From a split second, to a tenth, to now a quarter. ‘They’re closing in! I don’t know how much longer—’

Ready!

We turn, and we run. I run out and to the left, Ash beside me, while Silky runs off to the left. I look over my shoulder, catching sight of Lionsblaze as he swings his wooden staff down. As he does, a fireball materializes over his head, shining with a red and orange glow. In a blink, it’s completely formed, and it immediately rushes toward the slimes at a breakneck pace. I rabidly swivel my head, trying to catch sight of it before it crashes, only managing to see right as it makes contact with the ground—

*Boooooooooooooom*

Smoke engulfs the landing sight before I can even process the brief flash of the fireball I caught before it exploded. 

*Rinnnnng*

The sound of a ring fills my ears for a few moments before it clears, allowing sound to resume. In the ensuing silence, someone—could have been me for all I know—manages to ask…

What, was that!?

This chapter was weird to write. It flowed out nicely, but it felt dull writing it. Like, when I write, I normally can see the scene in my head, imagining what will happen next and transcribing it, kinda. Anyway, normally that image is nice and colorful, but writing this chapter it felt like it was black and white. It was still easy to visualise, so writing was easy, but it all felt flat and dull. Miraculously, reading over it during editing (which was literally an hour after I wrote it) I found that the chapter worked fine after some clarity edits! No major re-write necessary (unlike last chapter *grumble* *grumble*).

Hope you liked the chapter. Let me know if anything worked particularly well or particularly badly. See you on Thursday... I hope.

8