Chapter 365 — Enemy’s Message
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enemy's Message

 

 

 

More than 10 hours later, at night.

 

Heian Ciemnosc was just returning from scouting the enemy Cities destined to no longer belong to the enemy soon. His team slowly walked as the new scouting group remained complete. The Concealed Ornamental Team had a successful beginning, suffering no casualties in their first battle wholly together after the first City back then. The new scouting group was new, but the team was already aware of how to train new scouts in better, quicker, and more efficient ways.

After everyone broke into the Spirit Formation realm and Heian Ciemnosc was nearing the later stages of the Ashes Soul realm, their scouts’ requirements grew higher, and their speed at handling business increased. Heian Ciemnosc only needed a few hours to investigate some Cities, even sneaking upon a well-fortified City with many cannons and better City walls. There were some complications, but nothing like the battle everyone witnessed and was part of.

Though Heian Ciemnosc’s team didn’t suffer casualties, many were slightly injured, some almost heavily impaired. But from the other teams, there were 3 casualties in total. His team could only do so much when it came to others’ teams. They weren’t Heian Ciemnosc’s problem, so nothing much happened between them besides sparring.

“... Sir, second-in-command, Cari, asks you to visit him!”

Heian Ciemnosc was just returning as he approached the City walls. They had been mostly filled with holes after the cannons bombarded them to not let the enemy have theirs at the student troops inside. It was a rocky situation in the battle. Some student troops had to go out and assemble their cannons since the city walls weren’t an option and shoot from the outside at whichever enemy remained. With the machine gun's ‘tracking’ system, they could shoot from the maximum distance and curve so it would land somewhere 9 kilometers away.

But as Heian Ciemnosc walked back, the City walls were mostly repaired, with the entrance already being fortified and a protective array formation only needing a few touches to become top-notch. Just as Heian Ciemnosc looked with his own eyes at the hard-working cultivators that had nothing to do with his order, a young man came to him and nervously spoke in front of his team.

“Okay, I’ll go in 15 minutes.” Heian Ciemnosc didn’t make it difficult for the young man, who seemed relieved after hearing his words. The young man left, and Heian Ciemnosc continued to walk into the City. As they did, civilians and citizens were already out of their residences, mostly helping move the rubble and others trying to help move bodies. The rest were walking to get food and beverages from the Academy’s army.

‘...’ Heian Ciemnosc was contemplating in his mind. These civilians weren’t mistreated, but they did show incredible fatigue signs. After the bombardment earlier, any ordinary person would, and even more so for a non-cultivator who couldn’t have some protective measures against the metallic boxes’ explosion. After looking around a little, having already noticed the development in the City with his Spirit Sense, Heian Ciemnosc left the team to do their own and headed to the principal building.

Bzzztt. However, before Heian Ciemnosc walked into the building, there was a change in teh monitor of another building to his right. Looking at it, Heian Ciemnosc immediately found a bald man’s face facing the camera. More student troops noticed the change and walked over to the monitors, watching as the man finally spoke after a minute.

“Students… teachers and Supervisors,” the man’s calm and collected voice commenced. His background was a City from one of the many places in the Blackotia Kingdom where the Academy was wiped out. A destroyed transporting shin also lay in the background. “I was once like you. A person trying to fit in the glorious Wrath Nihility Academy. I was in the… illusion of glory and knowledge guiding the strong!”

“But I quickly found out it was not true,” the man continued. “I was denied my life and future because I wasn’t fit enough! Not fit enough? I had the best talent in the Kingdom at my time! I could’ve swept through the land and shown to the world the Academy would always remain a mighty force! But… because of vanity, I couldn’t form part? I was, what, too unbridled and too ambitious? Well, what now? I have made the entire Kingdom turn against you and even dare to fight you!!”

“It is not too late for you, students of the Academy. As you fight on the ground, like rats and dogs, the Academy’s real powerhouses hide and slowly die. Just look at me, am I hurt? Fearful? Apprehensive? No! I only have are the facts with me, and they prove I was right!” The man’s front body was shown, and he looked pretty alright. “I won’t ask you to fight against the Academy. As long as you let it fall, it will be your turn for true glory in the future, after this Kingdom belongs to the truly powerful at last.”

“You will have a future with me. Under my wings!” The bald man’s conviction showed on his face as he continued, “Watch as I burn the Wrath Nihility Academy’s name with my expertise from the world outside and become part of the new rule with my full support. I will bring the Blackotia Kingdom into the Upper Kingdom it should’ve become long ago, at last, and rightfully!

Bzzzt. The transmission ended. The students’ gaze remained on the screen a little longer as it remained black before its usual interface returned. Heian Ciemnosc could see through their eyes that they were pondering this bald man’s words, whoever he was, and were profound. Then, a few seconds later, they ignored it and returned to work. As if nothing happened.

… Walking into the building, taking the elevator, and sensing the City’s slowly growing peace, temporary but authentic, Heian Ciemnosc entered a room where Cari was alone and revising something on a table. Cari didn’t notice him first until he took a few steps forward, continuing to rectify the panel at the bulky, rectangular table and even walking around it. Heian Ciemnosc didn’t say anything and let Cari do his homework.

“Ahem, excuse me,” Cari said. Finally, he no longer looked at the table’s panel and cracked his neck's bones. He looked at Heian Ciemnosc, showing a slightly tired but excited expression, before moving to a corner of the room and said, “Please, take a seat.”

Heian Ciemnosc hummed in agreement and walked to a table, a meter and a half long, square, and with 4 chairs around it. Cari brought a long teapot, a couple cups, and his presence. Sitting on the same table, in Heian Ciemnosc’s opposite direction, Cari filled the cups before taking a sip. Heian Ciemnosc’s left leg went over his right knee as he drank from his cup. He wasn’t interested in tea or its flavor.

“I have to thank you for your efforts. Even in battle, I can tell you are gifted to cause your enemy pain and heavy casualties as long as there is no powerful enemy to intercept you. But that’s just how things are. Still, with your efforts, many of the troops still falling from the sky were inspired. I even had to quickly leave my team before more Spirit Formation realm cultivators in the later stages came closer to you.”

“...” Heian Ciemnosc continued to take small sips from his cup of tea while listening to Cari’s words, providing none of his own. Cari spoke with slight anticipation, “I can’t give you any higher status without the commander’s approval, so you probably know what it would be like if I were to constantly bother the commander with something like that. I’ll just wait. Wait until you are so shiny he can’t say you are fake silver again before requesting your promotion.”

“But whether you have a higher status or not, Heian Ciemnosc, I’d like your help every time this operation on my part needs your help. Logistically, sigh… Strategically… Whatever my come. Can you do that?” Cari didn’t put any face or extra emotion in his voice. Heian Ciemnosc looked at the second-in-command and didn’t react, both becoming silent.

“Alright,” Heian Ciemnosc finally answered, his darkest eyes were at ease. Cari revealed a smile and continued drinking his tea. He was mindful that the teenager wasn’t fond of it but still drank it. Feeling depressed that his hobby wasn’t that popular among the youngest generation, he served himself another coup when Heian Ciemnosc spoke again. “Oh. Thank you again for helping us out with Victor. He could’ve received a tremendous scar next week. He wouldn’t have been able to participate in a third of the Academy’s conquest of the Sub Division.”

“It was nothing,” Cari shook his head before responding, his lips pressed together. There was nothing left to say about his reasons. Heian Ciemnosc and his team were important. Why wouldn’t he help them? If anything, Cari showed some pondering and hesitation after being reminded of this matter. But it didn’t seem particularly related to being such a good second-in-command.

As if remembering something, Cari looked at Heian Ciemnosc’s face again and calmly said. “I almost forgot. After this operation’s successful, Lionel will send the Academy another reinforcement request. With the Blackotia Kingdom slowly returning into the Academy’s hands, we’ll be handsomely supported. At that time, maybe you’ll also get richer with more troopers buying your popular Mortal arsenal.”

. . .

 

Eighteen days since the first City in the Imp Eye Sub Division was reconquered.

 

In short, Cari’s side of this operation was ordered to reconquer 7 Cities, each much more fortified than the previous 3 Cities. They had more information spread and understood, and even more understanding of the Academy’s forces. However, even as they had slightly more Spirit Formation realm and Spirit Rebirth realm cultivators in their Cities, they barely had enough to face off the Academy’s army.

Even more so, the transporting ship overflying the City would dispatch any Spirit Rebirth realm cultivator it could find with its machine guns. The enemy couldn’t do anything against that, even as their Power Energy attacks could go farther than they could see. That was if they had a complete focus on their attack. That’s without mentioning the lack of vision. But even then, the Power Energy attacks, pseudo-Arts, and Arts were dismantled by the raining bullets, rendering the enemy cultivators powerless and their cannons, meant to attack from a high position, mostly useless.

Most of the time, whenever an enemy Spirit Rebirth realm cultivator team flew around and boosted their fellow cultivators’ morale, they would next turn into bloody remains exploding in the air by a single machine gun, incapable of defending against it at all.

Such machine guns weren’t this powerful and omnipotent. Any Spirit Formation realm could defend well against them. But when there is a nonstop barrage of bullets of at least a few thousand shots per minute… nobody is safe. Besides, the enemy did have machine guns and even turrets. Though they were not top-notch, they were still valid for any war. After all, no matter what quality of arsenal was used, they all used the same ammunition. The only differences could be with the improvised arsenal such as these enemy’s and Academy’s cannons.

Nevertheless, during these 2 weeks and 4 days, Cari’s side successfully took over those 7 Cities, and Lionel’s side reconquered those other 3. After things were ready, another transporting ship overflying the Imp Eye Sub Division came to them to protect the first City. Then, Cari led his troops back into his vessel after arming the City, leaving 5,000 soldier units behind. Coupled with the protective array formation, they were safe against enemy sieges.

In the following days and before taking a break, Cari’s side conquered another 3 enemy Cities. Meanwhile, Lionel’s side still had only 1 City under their command, heavily defending it from day to night by forces from nearby enemy Cities. The transporting ships were overflying the battlefield, only striking the enemy whenever a large enemy force approached, not letting their City be in too much danger. Somehow, they quickly realized the army’s commander was in there.

There wasn’t a need for more soldier units since the transporting ships would be filling their numbers more and more. Even then, Cari left 5,000 or slightly more troops behind to defend the Cities in case of any smartass enemy. It proved helpful, and while the cannons were being handled too fast, they were practical as the enemy did attack the other Cities several times before giving up.

It seemed like they wanted to resist the Academy no matter what, but they just couldn’t find a way. And with a transporting ship protecting all 3 Cities, like in the extremes of the Care Sub Division, it was even more difficult for them to catch the Academy’s forces unprepared.

Thus, Cari ordered a pause in the operation, letting the tired troopers take their deserved short rest while more cannons were being fabricated. Naturally, Heian Ciemnosc and his team helped a little, though his team only helped when there was an extra need for manpower. Other than that, Heian Ciemnosc simply guided a few troops who weren’t familiar enough with the creation process of these cannons and their shelling.

The Academy’s explosions were sharper even though more undersized, and with the transporting ships’ help, they were also deathly in concentrating their power. This was a simple explanation, but it became slightly more difficult for the army to reconquer the last 3 enemy Cities. Because of the rapidness of 4 Cities falling to the Academy, the enemy took advantage of their sudden pause to send a few mini-turrets to the last few, most crucial Cities in the Imp Eye Sub Division.

Hence, when Cri’s side resumed the operation and flew over the next City, they found their machine guns targeted by the enemy’s mini-turrets. Not only were 2 out of 17 bullets neatly stopped, but even the machine guns were shot t by those mini-turrets. The latter didn’t have a long range. But it could fire at any angle and was well protected by smallish protective array formations. The transporting ships could only quickly bomb away the enemy’s City barrier and then retreat to let the student troops land 10 km from the City again.

The walls weren’t as vulnerable as before. Thus, the army had to spend about 15 minutes with concentrated power to open 3 holes in the enemy’s City walls before rushing towards the enemy. After most enemy cannon teams were taken down or neutralized. Even then, the transporting ship had to be sent into the fray so the mini-turrets would shoot at them, not at the troops below.

Light casualties were finally showing, but this was also good… The more the enemy spent this type of arsenal on other Cities, which were easier to conquer than those in the Watery Land Sub DIvision, the easier it would be after the 2 Sub Divisions surrounded it were under the Academy. More enemies were trying to kamikaze their way into the army’s ranks, hidden in the rubble, around the City walls’ holes, and as corpses.

There were ways to counter such sacrificial enemy cultivators. Most who did were of lower cultivation base, so any Spirit Birth realm cultivator could send a wave to send the enemy flying, and then any tool or flying Power Energy-infused weapon would finish the enemy off. They would then explode on their own alone or back with their fellow cultivators, lowering the enemy’s morale even more as the unstoppable Academy’s troops barged into the Cities they were already naming officials in.

However, Heian Ciemnosc had it more comfortable. He didn’t have to depend on his or his team’s cultivation base to send the enemy kamikaze away from them. With his Spirit Sense, anyone who dared to play dead or hide under his Spirit Sense was a trifling ant trying to prickle a brick. They were killed off before they knew it.

In this cat-and-mouse play, Aleksander took most jobs to kill off the hiding ones with his team and teach Gloria, who was already at the peak of the Spiritual Ligament realm. The ways he and his small team of assassins overtook the team leader’s orders. Although Gloria was raped by Heian Ciemnosc, it wasn’t desire but a sudden need to keep things hidden. After a bit more time, she started letting go of the matter in the deepest parts of her heart.

But because of her heart and Aleksander’s help, she didn’t become a headless chicken thinking anything was okay as long as it was for survival. Gloria, in Aleksander’s point of view, was a good seed for becoming an assassin. And with her past, Gloria embraced such opportunity, letting Aleksander guide her through the art of murdering with preciseness and silence.

In any case, the following 3 Cities took over 10 days to be conquered with previous preparation and the rest that Cari granted his side of the army. On the other hand, Lionel finally had a few days to relax. But instead of remaining still and seeing if any more enemies would come, he took his 300,000 unit soldiers to bombard the shit out of the second City on his side.

It was a shock, but it was feasible. Leaving 1 transporting ship behind and using the rest to siege the enemy City, it had no chance to resist the plethora of student troops entering the City like a flood into a house. But before the enemy could respond to this sudden defeat, Lionel sent 200,000 soldier units to the third enemy City before even the second City was stabilized. The rest remained in the second City and returned to the first City. He wasn’t giving the enemy any chances!

On the other hand, Cari’s side was so successful that when he proposed Lionel promoting Heian Ciemnosc one little step further, Lionel agreed, allowing Heian Ciemnosc to have one more team under his command but no status to take decisions or act on his own. That would be punishable no matter what. Almost immediately after that, Cari ordered the resuming of the operation, and thus, the last 3 enemy Cities were besieged by the experienced Academy’s army.

Even as those 3 enemy Cities had enough mini-turrets to become dangerous for Cari’s troops and transporting ships, everyone was fearless as they toughened up and faced the enemy like any other enemy. This confidence was hard to attain. But Cari was both proud and glad. Proud - because of his efforts. Glad - because he had Heian Ciemnosc to boost this determination in every soldier unit’s heart and mind… Heian Ciemnosc was a Leader.

Thinking about such things, Cari could only imagine what kind of future this kid would have after he grew up and stepped on the world’s stage.

 

0