Shinobi origins
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Do you realize how dangerous it would be if power was centralized around the aegis?  People are still wary about a recession.  The fear of the titan’s is fresh in their minds.  These people… These are challengers to that fear.  Masters of emotion and nuance.” Enigma rolled his eyes, and shrugged, “You looked down on me for using my power to manipulate others, but people need that influence.  The powers that be need access to the mundane, and the mundane need the presence of giants to survey change.”

Ago shook his head, “That’s what the knights are.  A challenger to the darkness.”

Enigma laughed, “Still seeing monsters under the bed?  Ago, The knights are tied to the aegis.  It is the breadbasket of their strength and mobility.  There would be no knights without it.  They’re training revolves around the logistical boon that is the Aegis.  If the aegis fell, they would be powerless. If the aegis turned, they would be the enemy.  From an outsider's perspective, there is no distinction to be had.  They are puppets of the Ironclad castle.”

“That’s where the shinobi come in.  They live on the ground.  They study the footprint of the aegis.  The ebb and flow of logistics.  They are more aware than any other faction within the cities of how flexible the infrastructure is, and how dependent the status quo is on the Aegis.  If the latter fell today, these people could shape the face of the steppe with their connections and have it stabilized overnight.  It would take longer to reclaim the dignity of our politicians, but I digress.  I support them.  I’ve invested years of work into their kit as I’ve done with the knights.  They’re justifiably wary of me.”

Ago folded his arms, “Aren’t we all?”

Enigma’s grin turned impish, “You flatter me.”

“You do realize that having so much sway presents an opportunity, right?  What if they attacked the aegis in order to shape the city?”

Enigma shrugged, “How many conflicts shape the city on a regular basis?  Ago, you put out fires, but who do you think stays behind to contain the spread?  Who inspires artisans and regulators to stay on top of the ball?  Who breaks the stagnation that inevitably clings to the joints of our people?  It isn’t an easy job to do, Ago.  That they’re largely overlooked by the population is a pretty good sign in my books.” Enigma gestured to an open window where two teams of four arrived via grapple hook, “In broad daylight!”

Ago raised his brow and the scene, jabbing a thumb toward the hangar, “Aren’t those the mooring lines they use for supply ships?”

Enigma preened, “We didn’t learn to tackle large objects from the shipyard Ago.  Roughly a fifth of the staffers up there worked part time as a ninja.  The good lords are reluctant to part with more capable employees, and vice versa, but we do host a training camp.”

Ago folded his arms, “One I’ve never heard of?”

Enigma staggered, features heavy with resignation, “There’s a conflict in physical conditioning at play.  I’ve heard a handful of aces tried, but most either quit early or ended up changing camps.  You lose proficiency in one skillset to attain another.”

Ago glanced pointedly to the pulley on Enigma’s right arm, then extended his palm.

Enigma blinked, made to say something, then stopped himself.  He brought a hand to his chin to ponder, closing his eyes,  he peeked sidelong at Ago and then shrugged, “You’ve always seemed more rogue than knight.  Still, don’t say I didn’t warn you.  Sarge will roast me alive if he sees you running remedial training again.”

Ago's hand twitched, “One season.  You owe me another mod if I clear it.”

Enigma raised a brow, “Hey now, I’ve had my fill of your mana.  Are you so eager to part with a focus crystal?”

“Time and place”

0