Unwanted Reunion
106 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing in front of me and Fujiwara Yoshifusa was a familiar old man with a wrinkled face which didn't match his massive muscles. His ponytail and thick beard swayed in the wind as his gaze fell on me. On his white robe was the badge of the Sugawara family.

Next to me, Yoshifusa asked, "Sugawara no Kiyotomo, how unexpected. Hahaha! I almost believed the reports of your grandson killing you."

This should be impossible! How could he be here? I killed him with my technique, even after inspection I saw his dismembered corpse had no heartbeat.

Not only that, but behind him I sensed another presence who walked up to us kneeled beside my sickening grandfather, Kiyotomo. It was another familiar person, Dragon of the Sugawara Zodiacs.

I heard more laughing from Yoshifusa as Dragon was kneeling beside my grandfather's feet. Seeing him, I almost attack with my recovered Limitless, since we were technically enemies. He didn't seem different than before.

The only difference I could see was the old dragon mask he wore became deteriorated over time.

Grandfather just turns to me and says, "So, this day has finally come. I can clearly see you want to know about my death. I won't hide anything. The corpse you saw was a fake which was made using an innate technique I possess."

Innate technique? But grandfather's cursed technique was supposed to be Limitless.

"Sugawara brat, let me tell you something. This bastard is someone with a innate technique which goes beyond the logic of the normal rules. While people can only have one inherited or innate technique, his breaks the rules. I had trouble back in the day with your grandfather's Delayed Reflection technique for years."

Delayed Reflection? I've never heard of such a cursed technique in my life.

Grandfather just continues speaking, "The truth is that I married into the Sugawara from my Otomo Clan which is subservient to the Sugawaras. Once I joined, my Delayed Reflection was used to copy the cursed technique of anyone I've seen using them. The only weakness is that I can only use a copied technique for however long I saw it in use..."

He started creating a vortex of attraction like my Blue and continued, "After watching the Sugawara's Limitless in my daughter, I've retained the ability to use Limitless for twenty-one entire months, essentially an endless duration. There was just one flaw in my plan... As a Binding Vow and restriction, anyone who perceives the internal method of my cursed technique will receive all the techniques I've stored in my life."

"What?! Why do all this?" I say to him as the Fujiwara bastard chuckles at my ignorance.

"Your Six Eyes were my biggest weakness! It can instantly comprehend how any cursed technique functions by staring at a target. At the same time, it was my greatest strength. By sealing your Six Eyes, my power would remain, but that didn't stop the influx of Special Grade Cursed Spirits that went after you. Changing the balance of the world is the norms for Six Eye wielders."

Grandfather tells me this while stretching his muscles without much worry. I felt confused by his earlier words and ask him what he meant.

"That's impossible. The blindfold seal prevents the balance from shifting. Cursed spirits only showed up after I took off my blindfold." I tell him as he just lightly chuckles.

"Kaneyori, did you really think that? Six Eyes are impossible to hide from destiny! The only reason you never saw them was because of the amount of Special Grade Cursed Tools which would take their place! For years, I've been creating cursed tools from the cursed spirits you attract. How else do you think I've afforded hundreds of cursed tools for over a decade?"

"I-Impossible. If that's true, how did mother and father die?!"

He laughs slowly at my lack of knowledge, "Hahaha. Let's just say I was testing my friend's Blood Manipulation on them. It's an utter disappointment that your parents were so keen on giving you a normal childhood. Now they won't even get the chance to see the man you've become! Haha!"

"..."

I... What... Why is this happening? This world... Why does it always find ways to rip me apart?

It seemed like everything around me was a massive lie.

With my first clenched full of cursed energy, I asked Kiyotomo one last question, "Why are you even revealing all this?"

"That's because I've solved the weakness in my technique. I'm afraid of consequences no more. The only loose end I have is you, Kaneyori."

Very well, then...

"DIE!"

I send a barrage of Blue and Red which explode around the area. After the smoke clears, I see Kiyotomo completely unharmed as he calmly explains, "Limitless's infinite barrier, Infinity. Unlike yours, it only drains cursed energy and not mental stamina."

Fine, then I'll just analyze how your original Delayed Reflection function and neutralize all your abilities.

With a glance, I realize that I couldn't see his body. It's as if his entire body was glowing with cursed energy. The amount of Special Grade Cursed Tools inside his robe must be at least more than thirty! It's like looking at the sun and not being able to make out the shape due to the brightness!

Dammit! I can't cancel his technique without knowing the function behind it... What should I do?

"Ugh!" Behind me, I felt a spear puncture my shoulder and saw it was Fujiwara Yoshifusa smirking delightfully.

I pushed him away and healed the injury slowly, noticing my mind was at its limits.

"Yoshi, do me a favor and stay out of this."

Kiyotomo stopped to tell Yoshifusa this, to which he complained, "Fine, fine. I thought we were going to bond over killing your grandson, but I guess that's not happening today. I'll just get going and meet you tomorrow morning for drinks. It must be past midnight and I'm tired."

Using a pair of bloody red wings, Yoshifusa started flying away without another word.

This left me alone with the monster, Kiyotomo.

The old man's frail face smiled as he sent Dragon away too just for his fight with me. His cursed energy kept rising, most likely due to the Special Grade objects in the robe.

Was this really the end?

Mother and father... Tomoe... I'm too weak. If only this bastard didn't stunt my growth... If only I could train for another month... If only...

With a sigh, I realize that regrets are useless. There's nothing more that can be done. I can barely even think straight and feel like I'm going to go unconscious. Even my memories are hazy. My eyes want to shut, but I must force them awake.

"Kaneyori, now that we are alone, there's something I've wanted to ask you."

I feel my muscles relaxing and mind going numb, "What is it?"

Kiyotomo just claps his hands and says, "Will you follow my orders and become a Zodiac?"

I barely understand his words anymore and just nod.

After that, my vision blurs as I feel myself fall into a dark unconscious state.

...

...

???

I've been following the trail back to the Sugawara's for many days now after dealing with Sagiri-san. After many days of watching over their clan, I've realized that this place has no powerful guards.

This meant I was safe to attack with my Arthropleura who I summon behind me. It coils around me and follows as I sneak towards a door. However, just as I make my way to one of the buildings, a giant figure falls from the sky in front of me.

I kneeled instantly upon recognizing the figure. Bloody wings, intense pressure, and a black robe.

"Master..." Prostrating myself to him, I dematerialized Arthropleura and feel my hands shaking.

With a swift movement, his wings disappear instantly, "You may stand. Etsu, I know your plans for the Sugawara Clan, but they must be cancelled. I've come to have a meeting with the current head of the clan. I want you to hide and look for the treasure room, don't loot it."

I stand up and ask, "But sir, wouldn't destroying and assimilating the Sugawara into our clan be for the best?"

"Hehe, believe me Etsu, I've come to an agreement with the five Sugawara elders."

...

???

"Sugawara no Tomoe! I have come on behalf of the Fujiwara Clan to speak about the future endeavors regarding the Sugawara Clan!" Outside my room, a booming voice announced their presence.

Despite not sending a formal request to meet, this Fujiwara representative just decides to walk inside our clan as if he owns it? How far have we fallen?

I look down at my hands and see purple veins with black splotches. After some powder being applied, it becomes camouflaged with my pale skin.

This would be the perfect symbolism for our dying clan.

Choosing to die slowly with shame after being forced into a corner. It's like our family is cursed.

Quickly, I find something to wear and put a few pins in my long hair. Then, I open the sliding door and feel surprised by the amount of people greeting me.

Five of my clan's elders and... Fujiwara no Yoshifusa? I've heard many rumors of this clan head, non of which are positive.

"I've come to your wonderful clan to discuss cooperation during your family crisis." The old man just gives me a creepy smile as he sits down uninvited.

My elders don't even give me an explanation as they try to sit next to Yoshifusa. It almost seemed as if they were competing for a spot beside him.

In return, I just sit from the seat furthest across from him and brush my hair back.

Without any manors, he starts speaking, "Let's make this quick little girl. Your Sugawara Clan is being demoted by the emperor for housing a curse user and will be rebranded among six different branch clans. Does anyone disagree with this?"

"What?! Who are you to come and say this to the clan head?" I stand up and yell at Yoshifusa's ridiculous proposal.

The old man just laughs as he points to my elders, who just stay quiet in agreement to his demands.

Yoshifusa just smiles and explains, "This isn't a request. Now the five elders will be divided amongst five branches of the Fujiwara Clan which will be named the Takatsuji clan, Higashibojo clan, Karahashi clan, Kiyo'oka clan and Kuwahara clan, all of which will stay in upper court nobility."

W-What? Why does it seem like he already planned this ahead of time?

I glance at the elders who have eyes of greed and fear. Even a few were smirking with Fujiwara Yoshifusa's plan.

This can't happen. I'm so close to finding a way to produce a Special Grade Cursed Spirit and sealing Kaneyori's eyes. After that, we were supposed to go back to being a family. Everything was supposed to work out, so why is this happening?!

"We still need to discuss Tomoe-san's arrangement after dissolving the Sugawara Clan," One of the elders says to Yoshifusa, who almost seemed to have expected those words, as if they were rehearsed.

Yoshifusa answered, "You are absolutely right! How about we have little Tomoe marry into my Fujiwara Clan. My grandson is a very talented sorcerer. Both of you will make a perfect match, I'll even create a branch family and give it a different name. That way people won't think the Fujiwara are so controlling of their allies."

"Allies?! How dare you! If you don't leave right now, my Sugawara Clan won't let you off with such jokes!" I say to him.

His eyes grow cold and scary at my words.

After a long sigh, Yoshifusa explains, "Ignorant girl, my Fujiwara Clan can destroy your crippled clan in a single night. At least your elders could see that. If you don't want to have your clan's history destroyed, I recommend you serve under the Fujiwara as the dogs you were born to be."

"..." I froze in fear.

It's true that without grandfather and his personal guards, our clan has lost its strength. Without Kaneyori, I don't have a real reason to protect the clan. But if it somehow gets destroyed, won't all hope of everything returning to normal disappear? I'll never see Kaneyori again...

I love Kaneyori. Since that's how it is, I should be willing to do anything for that love.

In that case, "Fine! I, Sugawara no Tomoe, agree to your demands. I will join you under a branch family."

Yoshifusa just smiles and I swear I could see his eyes turn bloody. He pulls out a piece of parchment with a ink case and hands it to me.

I pick it up and read it as he explained, "Since we are making this deal in Heian-kyo, and it partakes in cooperation with mutual aid, let's rename the branch clan the Gojo Clan. It will be created alongside the other five, to create a new boost to our Fujiwaras!"

All the elders stood up and bowed, "We welcome Gojo Tomoe to the Fujiwara Clan!"

 

Sleeping-pig Image #2633973 - Zerochan Anime Image Board

 

 

4