30. Preparing For The Big Festival
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I never expected to make it this far. In the past, I never even dreamed I could be among these good people. Following my father's advice and my decision to move to the town of Ilutu, which I later found out was my mother's hometown, turned out to be a miracle for me, someone who knew nothing about the story of the people who raised me from childhood. A small town located on the coast of our country, it is a hidden treasure for those seeking nights full of light. Even for those who are no longer here, this town is like heaven. And tonight, I will become just like my mother. Now, I just have to put in all my efforts for this very moment.

 

***

For the past three months, I have walked the same path as my mother. The training to be a 'Fire Dancer' is not something to be taken lightly. I sacrificed everything, both physically and in terms of time. I even struggled to balance my time for studying, part-time work, and practicing at Uncle Eric's house. Although there wasn't much I could learn just by watching past recordings.

However, it will all pay off soon. Very soon.

It's daytime, a week before the festival. It feels like I just finished my Grade Advancement Exam yesterday. Honestly, I had a bit of a hard time because I didn't have enough time to study due to the things I mentioned earlier. But my grades should be fine. Although there's one subject I'm worried about, Physics. Besides that, without the help of Arkan and Chika, who sometimes visited me during my training and helped me study, I might have had to take a remedial exam. It's a bit annoying that Arkan is so good at teaching me various subjects at once.

Right now, I'm in the car with Uncle Elard heading to what might be considered a turning point in my life. It's that important that it makes me a bit nervous.

"Are we almost there, Uncle?" I asked Uncle Elard, who is currently driving. I probably shouldn't have disturbed him because he need to focus on the road.

"We'll be there in a moment," he said without looking at me.

Our destination was my grandfather's house.

Yep, because I've made up my mind to follow in my mother's footsteps as a 'Fire Dancer,' and to perform at the grand festival of Ilutu that I've been preparing for the past three months, scheduled for next Saturday, we need permission from the festival committee. That's right, my grandfather is the chairman of the committee, maybe it's not accurate to use the word 'Chairman,' but that's the position he holds. He has held that position for 30 years, everything related to the event has to be consulted and reported to Grandfather, at least that's what Uncle Elard said. Of course, we need his permission to perform one of the traditions that has been abandoned for the past three years, the 'Dance of the Fire Flowers.'

The car stopped in front of a fairly grand house with ancient architecture, with tiles still made of orange clay that seemed to have lost their color, and unplastered walls that gave a vintage impression, so maybe it was intentional to build it that way.

"We've arrived," Uncle Elard said, unlocking the car door. I got out and set my foot on this ground. I don't know why, but as soon as I stepped on this ground, I felt restless and nervous. My mind was filled with how to respond to someone who should be 'close' but has never been met.

"Are you nervous?" Uncle Elard asked, seeing my facial expression, which seemed to say it all.

"Y-yes," I said.

"It's okay. I'm sure he's also happy to see his granddaughter," he reassured me.

We stood in front of the entrance, and Uncle Elard immediately knock on the wooden door three times and stepped back. I heard footsteps making the wooden floor creak, then, someone opened the door from inside.

An elderly aged woman wearing glasses with a strap hanging around her neck. She has average body height with a slightly hunched figure, perhaps due to age. Her face seemed to squint to see us clearly, that might be why she use a eye glasses, a bad sight.

"Elard?" the woman whispered.

"We've come to visit, Mother," Uncle replied gently. I felt a lump in my throat at Uncle's response because, right in front of me, was someone who had taken care of my mother when she was little. Someone important for a granddaughter who could bring a different warmth into the household, someone who should have been a grandmother figure to me. As I realized this, my heart swelled with emotion. Longing for someone I had never known almost burst out of my heart.

"I see. So... who is the young girl beside you?" she asked.

"Let me introduce her. This is the daughter of your daughter, Hana Binatha. Your Daughter," Uncle said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Ni-nice to meet you, Grandmother. I'm Hana Binatha, I've been longing to se..." Suddenly, I was tightly embraced by the middle-aged figure in front of me. Her hug was tight, making me slightly breathless, but amidst that, she also gently stroked my head.

"Are you truly Hana?" she said right beside my ear. I was a bit confused because I wasn't sure, so I looked at Uncle, and he just smiled. That was enough to answer my uncertainty.

One sentence, a thousand feelings of longing. That's what I felt from her words. Her warm hug, her gentle touches, and her voice all said so. My heart was moved, knowing that the person who used to take care of my mother apparently had a similar personality to hers. My hands clasped hers behind her back, hugging her, while I answered, "Yes, Grandma. I am Nathalia Amber's daughter. Your granddaughter, Hana Binatha."

Grandma released her embrace and looked at me with her happy smile. There seemed to be a few tears in her slightly cloudy eyes. But, she seemed to see me clearly.

"How are you, dear? Grandma is so happy to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you from Elly. She said you're a very good and polite child," she said, holding my shoulders tightly.

Aunt Elly apparently told Grandma about me, but... why not the other way around? Why Aunt Elly is not telling me about Grandmother nor Grandfather?

"I'm happy to see you. How about you, Grandma?" I asked.

"Ahaha, I'm not as healthy as before, but seeing you in person gives me a new lease on life," she said, laughing.

"Enough, Mother. Standing too long isn't good for you. Let's go inside," Uncle Elard said.

"Rude. You should learn a little from Hana," Grandma teased Uncle.

"...I guess so," Uncle Elard accepted her mocking with a bit of furrow eyes.

She changed her expression and continued, "Come in, Hana. I also need to tell your Grandpa this happy news."

She turned around and started walking slowly down the hallway of the house. In the corridor, there were several entrances to different rooms on both the right and left sides, and at the far end of the left side, there was a staircase leading to the second floor. Uncle Elard and I followed Grandma from behind. Grandma stopped in front of a doorless room and turned to us.

"Grandpa is in this family room. I'm going to get some drinks and snacks," she said.

"No need to bother, Grandma," I said.

"It's okay. This is a happy day." She continued her journey down the back corridor and turned left.

Uncle and I exchanged glances and decided to enter the room mentioned. We entered the room. It turned out to be quite spacious. On the right side of the entrance, there was an L-shaped sofa and a large television on a table attached to the wall. There was one window emitting sunlight, creating a silhouette effect. On the left side, there was a window creating the same effect, but there is a rocking chair occupied by a old-aged man facing the corner, opposite a short wooden bookshelf in front of him.

Uncle Elard approached the figure who seemed to be resting. I followed him from behind. "...Father," Uncle said.

"..."

"Sorry for disturbing your rest," he continued.

"...Elard, is it?" the soft voice of an elderly man could be heard.

"I have a surprise for you," Uncle Elard said. The figure on the rocking chair seemed to try to adjust his sitting position but didn't turn towards us.

Uncle Elard put his hand back on my shoulder. "Good afternoon, Grandfather. I am Hana Binatha, the daughter of Nathalia Amber" I said, a little nervous.

"..."

"...So that's it," he replied shortly.

The four of us, Grandfather, Grandmother, Uncle Elard, and I, sat in the living room on chairs arranged in a square formation, facing each other. To my right is Uncle Elard, to my left is Grandmother, and in front of me is Grandfather. We were all gathered here.

"Why didn't you inform us earlier, Elard?" Grandma asked. "Ah...," Uncle stammered, unsure of how to respond. Well, of course. From that question, they both probably didn't know exactly when I came to this town. With a little nervousness, Uncle Elard explained.

"WHAT?!! FROM SIX MONTHS AGO??!!!" Grandmother exclaimed loudly, directed at Uncle Elard. Uncle, who was shouted at like that, could only smile.

"Don't shout, you're not up for it anymore," Grandfather said.

"B-but!"

"Enough," Grandfather calmed her down. Then, he turned his gaze towards me. "But why did you hide it from us?"

"I thought there would be problems because of that agreement," Uncle said while taking his look to Uncle Elard. Maybe what Uncle Elard meant was the agreement between Mother and Grandfather that prohibited Father and Mother from returning to this town. Right, because I am their descendant, does it mean I am also prohibited from coming here?

"...Ridiculous, those two...," Grandpa said almost silently. He continued, "That agreement only applies to the two of them. I don't remember adding anyone else."

So...

"...Thank goodness," Uncle Elard said, looking at me and then back at Grandpa. "...But, you seem quite calm about this," he said to Grandfather.

"I've suspected it since two decades ago," he replied shortly.

"Shy as always, you deliberately did that, didn't you?" Grandmother teased Grandfather, or at least I think she's teasing him since I can see his face suddenly goes a little red.

"..."

"Hmph!"

I sees Grandfather grimace, and his lips moved. "It was just an unwritten agreement... they took it too seriously..."

While returning his gaze to me, "So, what do you all want?" Grandfather asked.

Uncle Elard looked at me and nodded. I understood.

I face myself to Grandfather, who is right in front of me. Then, I said, "Grandpa should already know that Mother has passed away nine months ago. I came here without knowing my parents' background. But recently, I've been learning, and I continue to want to learn about the person who took care of me since I was a child. I want to be like Mother."

"Do you mean...," Grandmother said, as if understanding my intention.

"That's why I want to ask for permission from you, Grandfather-the head of the family-to allow me to perform at the upcoming festival. I haven't mastered it yet, but I believe I can. I've been learning for three months now... I want to become a 'Fire Dancer'," I continued firmly.

Grandfather crossed his hands and closed his eyes as if in deep thought.

"I won't ask for reasons, but it's a sudden wish that I can't grant," Grandfather said.

The clear refusal made my heart almost stop beating. "I... see," I said weakly, clenching my fists.

"W-why?" Uncle Elard looked slightly shocked.

"Someone has taken that role. My brother has a granddaughter. Our family is large;  he have a girl willing to take on that position. She has also received direct training from the person who previously held the role, the previous 'Fire Dancer'," Grandfather explained.

"Can't you do anything about it?" Grandmother asked.

"Perhaps. But for wha...?"

"I've seen it myself!!" Uncle suddenly stood up, cutting off Grandfather's words. Then he continued, "I've seen the results of Hana's training for the past three months! Truly beautiful. It's as if... Nathalia is the one dancing."

"...," Uncle sat back down.

"...That decision is final; it's difficult to change it... I can't promise anything, but I will try."

Uncle and I looked at each other, exchanging happy smiles because we had managed to get permission from Grandfather for my performance later. Although not definite, this was enough.

After all this, we continued talking as a family. How I longed for this day to come.

0