31. The Big Festival
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The flickering orange lights emanating from the row of stalls stretching from one end of City Park to the other slightly dazzled my eyes. The air is filled with the scent of delicious treats and the aroma of fireworks, both easily recognizable by my senses. My ears captured the cacophony of festival-goers enjoying tonight's event and the voices of stall vendors promoting their wares. Yes, tonight is the Grand Festival of Ilutu City. An event held only twice a year and finally back in the middle of this year, in the middle of the month. It had been a long time since I visited this event, enjoying the lively night festival that illuminated the city of Ilutu. Perhaps three years?

Yeah, it has been quite a while. If I was lucky, maybe nothing would recogni...

"Hey, Arkannnn...," someone shouted. Hah... this voice...

I turned toward the source of the sound. Just as I thought.

I approached the person. "Hey," I greeted shortly.

"Oi, oi, what's with that greeting? I am older than you, you know?" said the man, who was indeed older but his maturity level hadn't quite caught up.

"What's up? Uncle Carter?"

He was my father's younger brother, about five years apart. Although he seemed to be getting old, his behavior is still as cheeky as a ever. Apparently, he is looking out for his fishing game stall, a game where you catch fish with paper nets.

"I thought you wouldn't show your face here again."

"...Not really. Well, I'm just here for a short visit," I replied.

"Is it because the Fire Dance is back?" he guessed, hitting the mark.

Oh, and yea. The locals shortened the name of  'Dance of The Fire Flowers' to as simple as 'The Fire Dance'. Had no idea why, though.

"...Yes, that too," I replied shortly. I continued, "Guess since I'm here, give me a net."

"No way I'll let you play, you damn brat. You'll depletes my whole fish stocks," he replied gruffly. Haha, sorry. Bad habits were hard to get rid of.

"Haha, alright, I'll go on then."

"Sure, go ahead. Shoo, shoo," he said, waving his hand as if shooing away a nuisance, even though he was the one who called me.

I continued to wander around the festival and met some other acquaintances who I used to visit when I came here frequently. They all still recognized me even though we already rarely met. Most of them set up stalls during the festival, and I used to try everything they offered. Thinking about it, I used to be quite an active kid.

Honestly, I didn't have any particular goal, so I just roamed around following my memories of the layout of the stalls and their owners. Upon inspection, it didn't seem much different from my memories three years ago. Oh, right. There is a...

I picked up a folded brochure that I had folded small to fit into my jeans pocket easily. I unfolded it, revealing creases that formed three distinct lines. It was a brochure for the Ilutu City Festival, really convenient, at least different from three years ago. It contained various information about schedules, maps, event details, etc. Let's take a look at the map...

"Excuse me..." someone said from behind me, sounding like a girl. I turned around. "Excuse me, do you know where this is?" she said while taking a paper out of her pocket, I think its the brochure which I also held. As she looked at my face.

"..."

"Oh, never mind. It's nothing."

"...Yes," I replied shortly.

The girl walked past me, only to stop and come back to me. "Ugh! Why do I have to meet you?!" she exclaimed loudly.

"Huh? What are you talking about, Chika?" I replied, calling this impolite girl by her name.

"Out of all people here, why does it have to be you? Annoying," she added. She continued, "Ah, whatever. I'm sure you're also heading to Hana's performance stage, right? Tell me where it is," she said, pretending to be commanding even though she had just done something embarrassing.

Such a nuisance. Was it that hard to say 'please'?

"Yeah, sure. Let's go together," I replied.

"...Fine."

I was no longer wandering alone. Now I had an annoyance beside me. Annoying.

We started to weave through the crowded streets toward the stage where Hana would perform. I led the way through this sea of visitors, turning right, left, right again, then back around until we stood in front of a relatively large stage. The stage is adorned with red and black cloth on the back, without a roof, and there are six unlit iron torches arranged in a parabolic shape around the stage. Not much different from the previous years.

"You're really good at this," Chika said. I felt flattered, but good at what exactly?

"Someone must have visited this festival at least once. Besides, there's a map so it's not that hard, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, yeah, that's true. It's not difficult," she replied awkwardly.

"Are you, by any chance, had no idea how to read a map?" I said, half mocking her.

"NO!!!" she yelled. "I'm just having trouble because the crowd is blocking my view!" she said, trying to deny it. Well, I'm too lazy to argue with her shenanigans anyway.

So I opened the brochure again, intending to check the schedule. Hana said she would do the second performance of the Fire Dance. As far as I could remember, there had never been two consecutive performances, so this was something new. When I was told that someone already taken that role, I was a bit surprised because the position had been vacant for almost three years. The family elders who managed this festival or explicitly, Hana's Grandfather had managed to sneak in Hana into the performance under certain conditions; she became the second exhibit. A bit harsh one would say, but I guess the final decision can't be changed way too drastically.

"Hey, when is Hana performing?" Chika asked.

Without answering, I chose to point out the schedule when Hana would perform her show. As I gestured, she leaned closer to the brochure in my hand.

"Where, where... Oh, here it is," she said, squinting her eyes. She kept staring at the schedule. "Eight past three... W-wait! Why is Hana the second act?! And it overlaps with the main fireworks event!" she exclaimed.

A reasonable question. However, for someone who understood the true meaning and intention behind why Hana was turned into an additional act, perhaps only those who truly knew and understood how this festival would be celebrated knew, and Hana's Grandfather know it. Haha, what a cunning old man he is.

However, I was a little worried about Hana. Was her Grandfather that ruthless toward her? If she failed to capture the audience's hearts, all of this would end...

Setting aside those thoughts, I let out a small chuckle and said, "Let's just wait and see."

Yes, all of this could either backfire spectacularly or become a significant opportunity for Hana's performance later on.

"How about we go check on Hana?" Chika suggested.

"It's better not to, she's busy preparing," I replied.

"Airhead. If I were Hana, I'd want my friends to say 'Give it your all'," she replied.

I was slightly taken aback hearing her words. She was right. If it was Hana, she surely needed support. How foolish I had been.

"...Yeah, you're right. Let's go see her," I said.

"Yosh! But... where?" she asked, stopping her enthusiastic walk.

"What an useless one. Follow me, she is probably on the backstage," I replied, mocking Chika.

"Yeah, yeah."

We arrived at the backstage. There were several staff members busy moving equipment and decorations around. I asked one male staff member who seemed to be looking out the special staff-only door.

"Excuse me, we're friends of the performer named Hana Binatha. Can we see her?" I said.

"Ah, Hana, right? She's inside. But she might be still getting some make up, so you can't meet her face-to-face," he replied.

"That's okay. We just want to give her some encouragement," I said.

"Go ahead."

Both of us are allowed to enter the special staff area, which was still a part of the stage. The corridor is quite narrow, and there were several plastic doors covering rooms on the right side. Perhaps one of them is where Hana currently in.

A female staff member had just come out of the second room furthest from us and began walking toward us. I asked her where Hana was. She said that Hana is in the room she had just left, getting make up. I thanked her and hurried toward the door.

Feeling awkward, I let Chika knock on the door, and she didn't seem to mind.

*Knock* *Knock*

"Hana, are you there?" Chika asked, opening the door. I wanted to peek, but the door is immediately closed by Chika. Truly annoying.

I'm left outside alone, overhearing the conversation of the girls inside. The high-pitched voice of girls ringing on my ear, one of the think I heard is Chika telling Hana that she looks absolutely stunning and beautiful. I guess I could look forward to it at the performance.

Taking more than this, I felt completely uneasy and decided to leave. It didn't feel right eavesdropping on their secret girlish conversation either. However, as I took a step away...

"Arkan, you're outside, right?" a girl's voice came from the room. Hana's voice.

"..."

"Sorry, I can't show my face right now," she said softly from behind the door.

"...It's okay," I replied shortly.

"I just... feel embarrassed," she said.

"In that case, let me see you during the performance later," I said.

"Yo-you don't need to ask for permission like that. You're free to see me during the performance, but please, don't laugh, okay?" she said.

Me? Laugh? Why?

"I won't laugh."

"Haha, thank you," she replied quietly.

Don't thank me yet. I haven't even said what I should have said since the minute I decided to follow Chika's annoying request and my foolish desire to hear her voice.

"Hana...," I called.

"Hm?"

"Give it your all."

"..."

"...Thank you."

I sees the female staff member from before reentering from the outside door. Our time is up. My phone displayed the time of 8:10.

"Chika, it's time. Let's go," I said.

"Oh, sure," she replied. "In that case, I'll go ahead, okay?" she said to Hana. Shortly after, the door opened,  then Chika and the female staff member took turns entering and leaving. We hurried to the front of the stage because the first performance is about to begin.

I had expected it to be lively, but the crowd is even more energetic and denser than I had imagined before. People were probably waiting for the return of the Dance of the Fire Flowers, a tradition lost three years ago. The name 'Dance of the Fire Flowers' is shortened to 'Fire Dance,' which is why many people referred to the event that way.

There was an iron fence separating the audience from the stage, about two meters away, resembling a music concert setup. I looked around, trying to find familiar faces, and there it was. Uncle Eric is in the right corner looking up to the stage.

"Good evening, Uncle," I greeted.

"Ah, good evening, Arkan," he replied. "And good evening to you too, Miss Chika," he greeted Chika behind me.

"Good evening, Uncle," Chika replied.

"This festival this time around is truly unique," Uncle said.

"Indeed. The Fire Dance performance twice in a row? I've never seen that before," I added.

"That's true. It's unprecedented," he agreed.

"What's so strange about it? Isn't it just an additional performer?" Chika chimed in.

"...That's true. It's just an additional performers playing," Uncle said.

Suddenly, all the lights on the stage were turned off. All the glittering lights vanished, leaving a dim and dark atmosphere. The loud noises that surrounded us disappeared in an instant. From behind the black and red fabric covering the backstage, several people emerged, their faces barely visible in the darkness. They carried lit torches and went to each iron torch mounted on the stage.

The torches were lit, casting a fiery red glow and creating a warm ambiance. The flickering flames of the torches seemed enthusiastic, reflecting something about to happen. The six people descended from the stage, leaving the spotlight for tonight's main performer. Once again, from behind the stage, a girl dressed in a red traditional costume with shining gold ornaments appeared. She walked gracefully, holding two small wire sticks in her hands. Fireworks.

The girl moved forward, heading to the front torch, and lit the Sparklers-type fireworks with her torch before stepping back. Then, she started to dance along with the sparks in her hands. With gentle movements, the dancer demonstrated the general steps of the Fire Dance I had seen multiple times. Nevertheless, I am still mesmerized. The diverse rhythm of her movements, from slow to suddenly very fast, truly reflected how a fire is. Sometimes, when the fireworks are about to lose it heat and light, the dancer would slow down her movements, move forward, discard the dimming sticks, and take new ones from a special compartment in her costume.

Truly remarkable, an awe-inspiring Dance of Fire. But that wasn't Hana who performed.

The dance concluded with the dancer bowing to us, the audience, then she walked back into the stage, accompanied by a sudden strong gust of wind slapping us, extinguishing the flames on the torches.

Oh, no. This is terrible for Hana. The torches meant for her fireworks had gone out. They would have to light them again. This could adversely affect Hana's performance.

That was in my mind. However...

My eyes caught a glimmer of light from behind the stage. I saw a silhouette of a person illuminated from the bottom by the fiery light in their hands, while their face remained hidden, creating a dramatic and mysterious impression. I got chills all over my body.

The silhouette continued walking toward the center of the stage, but truly, I know that silhouette is Hana. Eventually, she started moving her body, waving the fireworks around, up and down. However, I still couldn't see Hana's face clearly. Hana's graceful movements, like leaves being gently swayed by the wind, looked charming due to the friendly breeze. Yet, following the rhythm of her dance, her movements intensified, and the wind strengthened its faint whispers until a sudden strong gust reignited the remaining embers on the iron torches. Finally, the lights were turned on again for Hana, and I could see her clearly. She looked stunning.

The traditional red attire she wore, along with the shining gold ornaments, and I just noticed there was a bell on each hand ornament that made a sound when Hana moved her hands. The sound of her bells synchronized with Hana's dance moves. I couldn't believe this is the result of training that lasted only three months. Maybe I biased myself because she is my acquaintance, but this is genuinely how I felt about this situation. She looks absolutely captivating.

“Not many people are watching...” Chika whispered softly.

Indeed, she was right. They had all gone to prepare for the best spots to watch the main event of this festival. The Fireworks show itself, but that is their mistake.

“This is bad...” Chika said.

“...No...," Uncle Eric said.

“...No,” I interrupted Uncle Eric’s words. “...This is the moment we've been waiting for,” I continued, focusing my gaze on Hana.

I smiled, and so did Hana, probably.

Hana's movements grew faster and faster until, at its peak, she raised both her hands holding the fireworks high in the air. The fireworks went out due to the powerful swing of Hana's arms, accompanied by the emergence of new fireworks, which became the highlight of this event. All the launched fireworks appeared behind the stage, surrounding us, decorating the dark night and making Hana the central character of this festival, illuminated by colorful lights from all directions. My ears were filled with the sounds of fireworks exploding in the sky.

With the light at her side, Hana took spare fireworks from the back of her outfit, then stepped forward, lighting the fireworks with her torch, and started dancing again. Her dance had a very fast tempo, depicting the passionate and fiery turmoil of the flames, yet remained graceful, charming, and... free.

I rendered weak-kneed by it. My legs felt insignificant compared to Hana, who is currently dancing with the raging fire right in front of my eyes. So pathetic that I couldn't tear my eyes away from this miracle in front of me. If only UNESCO could see this, they might consider Hana and the city of Ilutu as the Eighth Wonders of the World.

"Arkan, what's wrong with you?!" exclaimed Chika.

"Ahaha..., this is incredible. Hana is incredible," I said.

The crowd that had almost vanished now filled the stage again. Many of them pulled out their phones to record this moment. It is indeed a moment worthy of being captured in some medium to be remembered someday, especially when we grow old. However, I preferred to keep it in my memory because I'm sure I could remember this moment for the rest of my life.

Among the twinkling lights in the sky, between the two lights you were holding, and the torches illuminating you, you danced so elegantly, guiding the surrounding lights, making you shine even brighter. Like a gem among a pile of treasures, you shone brighter than all of them. This feeling, I was sure it was real, no doubt about it.

Hana, right now, you are the most radiant among all of us, a beacon of brilliance illuminating the entire night. As the fireworks continue to paint the night sky, I find myself mesmerized by your performance, not just as a spectator but as someone profoundly touched by your essence... and how much I desire that light of yours in my life, every moment, illuminating me with your extraordinary glow.

1